Coopers Community

The Coopers O.S. Lager Kit Challenge!

I can't compete with Pedro. I don't even have a moustache.

Ha ha [biggrin] I think Lusty will be angry. He will be online soon to unleash hell.

I hate jock itch. Try not to scratch it too much Scottie. Perhaps you could try using palm sugar on it. Even rubbing some Thai takeaway on it should be fine. Stay away from palm oil though [rightful]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the first brew I ever did. Thanks to the good information on this forum I think it turned out a lot better than it would have if I simply made it to the kit instructions...

Cascade/Nelson Sauvin Lager (more like an ale with the kit yeast)

Brew Kit: Coopers Lager

Adjuncts: 500 grams light dry malt extract (4 litre boil)

Coopers brew enhancer 1

Hops: NZ Cascade - 33 grams @ 30 mins

NZ Cascade - 33 grams @10 mins

Nelson Sauvin - 25 grams dry hopped for a week

Yeast: kit yeast

02/06/12 OG: 1.042

17/06/12 FG: 1.013

ABV: 4.4%

IBU: 60![cool]

I was pretty chuffed with it at the time. It was intensely fruity from the hopping schedule. Cascade and Nelson Sauvin is a great combo.

If I made it again now I would probably steep 300 grams of medium crystal to use in the boil to balance out some of the bitterness. I would also use a different ale yeast, and add 25 grams of Cascade into the dry hop.

Here is the first brew I ever did.

Hey Reuben

That would have to qualify as one of the Best First Brews Ever. Perhaps Lusty should nominate that as a category, and Coopers could get it listed in the DIY starter pack.

I remember how I persisted with 1kg of BE1 and the can for three brews too many, however my fourth brew was the TC Lager with Cascade and Nelson, put together under the guidance of the many "off topic" dudes on this forum.

Its funny when you look back here are a couple of threads that tracked my progress and to show how much help you do receive:

Call for Suggestions

PS Hairy I reckon Palm Oil would work better, concern for environment versus other concerns. I'm sure that Lord Eoin would have no qualms about squeezing the juice out of the last living Panda if it would bring him a cure for Jock Itch.

I woke this morning and felt a disturbance in the force...

HBBSB.jpg

I cried laughing so hard this morning at your posts. [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [lol]

From Hairy's "Constable Lusty, to jock itch & palm sugar cure...to Muddy's "Stay on topic, Stay on topic" pic, it just cracked me up! [lol]

Back on topic...

I'm really stoked with the amount of recipes being put forward by all the guys. I think it's really terrific! [joyful]

Keep em coming!

Signed,

Constable Lusty. [biggrin]

I woke this morning and felt a disturbance in the force...

Good Morning Lusty

I was going to ask if you sleep in often but I thought better of it ....Hang on [tongue].

Your post has prompted me to try out my Bushy Park Amber Ale tonight, it is on a OS Lager base.

I was a bit put off by all the so-so reviews of the OS Lager, so waited until about brew number 40 to try it...and I discovered all the reviews were wrong (in my opinion), as this was a complete winner:

OS Lager Can

1kg ldm

200g caramunich

200g dextrose

15g Motueka @ 15m/ 10g moutueka, 10g saaz @ 10m/10g motueka, 10g saaz @5m

Safale US05 yeast

Made to 21 litres

OG 1048, FG 1010

"insert generic can type here"

1.2Kg LDME

.35Kg WME (Not in Orig. Recipe)

250g Dex

300g Carapils

150g cara-amber

Steep Spec grains in 5lt Water 65'c - 2lt sparge near boil

add 700g LDME to total liquid volume and bring to boil.

10g Magnum @ 40 min

5g Amarillo @ 30 min

5g Galaxy @ 30 min

5g Amarillo @ 20 min

5g Galaxy @ 20 min

5g Amarillo @ 10 min

5g Galaxy @ 10 min

10g Simcoe @ 0 min

5g Hallertau @ 0 min

2x Briglow yeast @ 0 min

leave 10 min for convection to stop

whirlpool and leave 10 min.

Siphon off to other pot and add remainder DME and dex and can.

Chill in sink

add to fv and into fridge set to 18'c - Pitch US-05 when at temp.

I used this on a Canadian Blonde but I think you could use any can. and could probably up the late hops as well. Dont forget to dry hop the bejeebus out of it as well.

I dont care for this thread, except for an excersize in futility. [roll]

This post was/is to replace some earlier comments of mine that would have caused offence.

Yob [bandit]

Here's a recipe Chad helped me with (OK, he did all the work).

It's not too bad either. Could maybe have done with some "proper" munich malts to bring out the maltyness

I'm not sure if this one qualifies, AdamH as this one was a theoretical recipe when I suggested it to you. If you say it was alright then maybe[unsure]. We'll have to ask the Constable[biggrin].

I was wondering if I could join the Hairy Bear Bunch? I don't have a receding hair line, though. In fact I think hairline goes the other way come winter[crying] .

BTW Lusty, I think you are dreaming if you think this one will stay on topic. I personally think the OS Lager can is Shite and you know what they say... "You can't polish up a turd![biggrin]" HA HA![lol]

Not sure what Yob was trying say so I'll steer clear of that ...Hang On [bandit]

That Recipe of yours Steve looks pretty damn good, a winner I don't think I'll be entering my Amber in the comp now and my Make Do Ale was just using up left overs and making do with the OS Lager so its not really an entry either [sad]

"You can't polish up a turd"

Or Road Apples eh!

A hard earned thirst deserves the best cold beer
and in theory the best cold beer is the one listed below. Run it through IanH's spreadsheet, you'll see.

Recipe

1.7kg Coopers Original series Lager

300g Coopers Light Dry Malt

700g White Sugar

250g Dark Crystal (EBC270)

25g Pride of Ringwood in a 4 litre boil for 20 minutes

S23 Yeast

I get Lord Eoin's vote here so I'm off to a flyer.

Love it, i have been offline for a day and come back to all this. the threads all ready had more turns than an epileptic conference, i reckon when it all over it will be the longest thread so ar on the forum. it could be called "the long and winding road" that has a nice ring to it. its good to see the contributions so far, hey Yob i would try yours but a dont have 2 days to spare.

i have given it some thought and with my limited knowledge, i came up with something similar to Greg's. Amber Ale is a fav of mine, so i will give it more thought, try it next week and if it tastes ok i will post it.

i'm off camping for a few days, trying to rid Boondooma Dam of its Bass and Yellowbelly population, i have 5 cartons of homies ready to load in the boat, i hope its enough!

Looking forward to reading the next few installments when i return

Geeze all u old farts and hair loss and hair relocating [crying] i can only say that until you try Peanut Butter with foil on your head you cant say that it doesnt work [lol]

As for a OS Lager Recepie to keep the [rightful] happy based purely on the only one i have ever brewed not imaginary

Can OS Not Lager

1.5kg IGA Home Brand Sugar

1 X 12g sazz teabag 15 min steep

1 X 12g Tetnanger teabag 15 steep as sazz in 2 litres just boiled water then strained into Fv

Kit Yeast 23 litres

Considering i was unemployed at time with no income even from government this went down awesome in constant 40 degrees [happy]

hey Yob i would try yours but a dont have 2 days to spare.

The more time and care (and additions) you give to your brews the more outstanding they become.

I admit that the time cost is up there with AG brewing and it was one of the factors that got me into Grain Brewing.. I was spending almost as long with a kit brew as I now do with an AG brew from scratch (excluding recipe formulation)

Try it, you will not be sorry.

Yob

Well Lustmeister, here goes.

This is what i am going to do next brew, no chance of winning, but all feedback and suggestions appreciated.

1 can OS Lager

1 can Coopers Amber Malt

250gm Crystal and 50gm Chocolate steeped for 45 minutes in 2Ltrs water @ 65deg

boil wort and 250gm LDM for 30 min with 30gm EKG then steep with 15gm Fuggles for a further 15 mins

pitch with English Ale Yeast and ferment at 18 deg

This is a style and flavour that i like and i have made similar brews, which have turned out real nice, my only prob is that i drink them too early. i think 2 months in the bottle would do it justice[happy]

Archived