Hi.

I want to try the Coopers Celebration Ale

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt

500g Dextrose

25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets

25g Centennial Hop Pellets

1 sachet of American Ale yeast or Coopers Commercial Ale yeast culture

Would it be better to replace the dextrose with light dry malt? Ive read a few places that this will give a better results. Price not an issue. Any experience with this beer?

Reidar,

The Celebration Ale is an ale with a slightly higher alcohol content - 5.2% I think. Therefore the Dextrose would be there to bump up the ABV.

As this recipe was developed by the good folk at Cooopers, I would just go with the standard recipe.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

Hi Reidar.

I concur with GregT5's comments. The dextrose would purely be to bump up ABV%. There is more than an ample amount of malt (3.2kgs) in the recipe provided by the two extract tins.

I've done a few of the recipes from the "How To Brew" section of the website, & have been very happy with the results of each. [joyful]

Good luck with yours.

Anthony.

• 2 months later...

Brewed this recipie recently and just cracked my first bottle.

What an awesome beer. I opened an actual Celebration Ale and tasted both together. Really couldn't tell the difference (if anything the recipie tastes slightly better!).

Will be making it again. Followed the recipie to the letter. Yummy.

What an awesome beer. I opened an actual Celebration Ale and tasted both together. Really couldn't tell the difference (if anything the recipie tastes slightly better!).

Good stuff Iain. That's why we make our own beer; to make beer better than the commercial variety.

(if anything the recipie tastes slightly better!).

When I first presented this recipe at the Tuesday morning tastings, got a similar response. I would argue that it doesn't quite have the finesse of the commercial version but it makes up for that with late hop character[love]

Those type of beers at the craft beer pubs in Sydney go for about $14 a pint.

I bought a pint of a DIPA at Murray's Brewery at Manly wiithout asking the price first - $17 [surprised

I understand that big alcoholic hoopy beers mean more ingredients and higher taxes, but still...$17.

It was a nice beer though [love]

The one which cracks me up the most is Bud, the 'King of Beers'. I love the quote on the label: 'We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive beechwood aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price'...

By their logic, 6-row malt barley, rice, and what minimal hops are in the beer must be insanely overpriced.

Anyways back on topic. I made the Celebration ale just as the recipe said to, and used the recultured commercial yeast. It was my favourite kit brew that I have done! I haven't even seen the commercial version available in NZ, but am keen to brew some up again.

I did the same comparison the first time I made this brew, from memory there was not much difference in appearance and the taste wasn't too far off either...!!!

It has become a regular in my brewing program....got one in the FV at the moment actually. When you can make a beer this good and quite easily from a kit for about $20 a carton, why would you bother buying beer??...[cool] [cool] [biggrin] --- or, (dare I say it) bother with AG???[innocent] [bandit] ....Is there a tongue in cheek icon somewhere??

why would you bother buying beer??... --- or, (dare I say it) bother with AG???

I brew AG, and for me it's more about the process and feeling proud of making something from scratch than for any major increase in quality. Using fresh cans of extract, specialty grains, hops and a good yeast, you can make AMAZING beer. People have taken out beer comps with extract beers.

I just enjoy the process, and I believe the beers I make with AG do turn out better, but that's just me. [love] [love]

why would you bother buying beer??... --- or' date=' (dare I say it) bother with AG???[/quote']

I brew AG, and for me it's more about the process and feeling proud of making something from scratch than for any major increase in quality. Using fresh cans of extract, specialty grains, hops and a good yeast, you can make AMAZING beer. People have taken out beer comps with extract beers.

I just enjoy the process, and I believe the beers I make with AG do turn out better, but that's just me. [love] [love]

Hi Phil, please don't take offence from my tongue in cheek comment, I thought I would get some response though [innocent] !!!. I really do understand that AG brewing is the pinnacle, I have some mates that do AG and produce some great beers as well.

I totally agree with your comment also about the enjoyment of the process and enjoying the results!!! Even though I am just a K & B brewer / mixer, I really get a thrill out of mucking about with spec grains and hops. I would love to be doing AG but reality (wife & 4 kids) dictates how much time I get to do these things.[pinched]

Hmmm, I must check my Celebration Ale tonight, must be nearly ready for CCing...!!! [biggrin]

Hi Phil' date=' please don't take offence from my tongue in cheek comment[/quote']

None taken mate![happy] We all make great beer, and if a really busy month came by where I didn't have the time, but had the bottles, I would not hesitate to put down a kits and bits brew. The results can be stunning!

Hi Phil' date=' please don't take offence from my tongue in cheek comment[/quote']

None taken mate![happy] We all make great beer, and if a really busy month came by where I didn't have the time, but had the bottles, I would not hesitate to put down a kits and bits brew. The results can be stunning!

Ahh - gotta love the brotherhood of brewers!!!

I am just discussing the benifits of brewing with my comrades in the office (again [innocent] ) and explaining how it is difficult to work out which type of beer to have on Friday afternoon because there are so many choices...

Given it is a bit warm here today I have decided on a Lemon-Zest Weizen to begin with....nice and refreshing [cool]

Archived