Coopers Community

What's the Worst Beer...

....You've made.

I normally look on the positive side, however sometimes things don't go to plan. So in contrast to the post that Beer Lust put up I thought I'd offer up my "worst beer yet".

I managed to detract from the fabulous English Bitter Kit, its still drinkable, probably suited to swigging from a stubbie.

Recipe

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt

250g Dark Brown Sugar

150ml of S04 rinsed from the trub

I don't think there is too much wrong with the combination of ingredients so I'm blaming the yeast. It was my first effort at rinsing and the only time that I was successful in rinsing this strain.

Excluding my first couple of K&Ks, my worst would be my first lager attempt with the Euro lager kit.

Developed acetaldehyde and it tasted like green apples. It only mellowed slightly over time and I couldn't drink it.

Another average brew was a triple hop concoction with Galaxy, Citra & Simcoe. I don't know if it was the late hopping of Simcoe but it wasn't quite right. I kept saying "give it time" but time didn't help it.

I still drank the whole batch though [innocent]

I won't bother giving recipes; no point really.

I still remember (and so would some of my unlucky mates from the time) the dreaded batch no. 10. Twas nigh on ten years ago, during a rather hot summer when I declared, "never mind going to the drive thru lads, my latest batch of Coopers Lager with 1kg brewing sugar is ready!"

There erupted a joyful cheer as I proudly strode to the fridge to open the first of many no. 10s for the evening.

Alas, when the glass reached my nose and I took in the aroma, I was rather unpleasantly reminded of a sparkling glass of rotten dog farts. Hoping that this brew's bark was worse than it's bite, I decided to try a sip. I discovered that evening why mother nature makes it impossible to drink a fart. It just wasn't meant to be.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the sounds of myself serenading the toilet bowl.

Infection seemed likely. However, I managed to stockpile many batches after that as none of those mates would ever drink one of my brews again! [lol] [roll] [joyful] [pouty] [pinched] [happy] [devil]

The worst one I made was the first one I made to get back into brewing. It was a Tooheys Special Lager tin + a kilo of Coopers brewing sugar and whatever the yeast is in the kit. I had no idea about temp control and decent ingredients at the time, obviously. It was brewed in January and left to the mercy of the elements.[lol] Needless to say it tasted like utter crap, very cidery and no head retention at all. I would have preferred to drink proper Tooheys to be honest.

My second worst/least favourite was a Real Ale kit + some LDM and EKG dry hopped, it was ok, but I didn't really like the flavour very much.

But 10 months after that initial disaster, I've just cubed my first all grain brew, so things have improved! [biggrin] [lol]

G'day gents,

my first brew has been my worst so far.

My tight arse brother in law started brewing a couple of years ago, and after a few months i was taking an interest in it. The beers weren't that great but i wanted to have a go at it.

So for my first brew, following his advice, i put together the following -

1 OS Draught

1 kg white table sugar

And you can probably guess the rest...

The beer tasted [sick] [sick] [sick] [sick]

These days he asks me for brewing advice. [cool]

Brendan.

The worst one I made was the first one I made to get back into brewing. It was a Tooheys Special Lager tin + a kilo of Coopers brewing sugar and whatever the yeast is in the kit.

This too would be the worst can I ever come across. I used the same can of crap with 500g Dex and 500g LDM. It tasted soooo bad so I left it for 12 months to try mature a bit and ended up pouring it tdown the sink. I really think drink beer that is infected is far better than what these produced [sick]

(excluding my first brew)

my worst beer was an AG one... some recipe malfuction.. Hops let me down [crying]

Could not finish a glass and tipped 28 Longnecks down the sink.

recently.

Life is too short to waste it on crap beer.

Coopers Mexican Cerveza with BE2, brewed it twice as first time didn't have a brew fridge and temperature may have been a bit high. Dunno if it is due to the Ale yeast with the kit or the kit itself (or the BE2) but definitely the worst I have brewed.

Archived