Coopers Community

Porter Recipe

Raider

OK, I'm going to put down the recipe above, with slight variations...

Coopers English bitter tin

300g Choc malt 600

100g Roast Barley

200g Medium Crystal 120

1kg of DME

200g Dark Brown Sugar (either this or molasses)

15g EKG @10mins

15g EKG @flame out

Yeast S04

Unless anyone can suggest something bad with this?

Hi Adam,

This recipe looks fantastic! I was hoping to give it a crack over the weekend.

Just a couple of questions...

How long should I steep the grains for?

Did you brew to 23L?

And, what temp did you ferment at?

My apologies if these are stupid questions but I haven\u2019t had a great deal to do with grains yet and I\u2019ve only just set up a fridge to control the brew temp.

I obviously can't answer the questions directed at AdamH but I usually steep grains for 30 minutes.

You have two options with these grains. One is the usual hot water steep for 30 minutes. The other is steeping the grains in cold water overnight.

I have never done the latter but it is supposed to give a smoother result with dark grains.

And when using English ale yeasts I tend to ferment slightly higher than the US ale yeasts. I ferment the English at 19-20 degrees as I don't mind some more esters being produced in these type of beers.

Add 4-5kg of white sugar.

Is that bad enough?

[lol]

I enjoyed writing that one, thanks for bringing back the memories.

Hey, someone has to laugh at my jokes, even if it is me [bandit]

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies AdamH and Hairy, and apologies for my non reply also I haven\u2019t had a chance to get back on here until now.

I ended up steeping the grains in hot water for 30 mins as I didn\u2019t have time to do them in cold for 24hrs. Brewed to 23L at 19 degrees and used S04. I also used molasses sugar instead of dark brown sugar.

It\u2019s only been in the bottles for 3 weeks now but I sampled one last night at it was absolutely fantastic! [love]

I\u2019m going to do the same recipe again except run it at 21L instead of 23. I was also considering using some chocolate essence in the FV around day 3 or 4? Or possibly priming the bottles with chocolate topping?? If anyone has tried either options before some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Add 4-5kg of white sugar.

Is that bad enough?

[lol]

I enjoyed writing that one, thanks for bringing back the memories.

Hey, someone has to laugh at my jokes, even if it is me [bandit]

Hey that is funny and I would have enjoyed it if I had seen it but now that you have pointed it out it just feels a little...umm cheap and needy [bandit]

Nah, just kidding it's still funny [biggrin]

Archived