Coopers Community

Porter Recipe

Raider

Hi Guys,

I found this recipe for a porter what do you think? I haven't used grains before but have read up on it and seems kinda easy, maybe [unsure]

Coopers English bitter tin

300g Choc malt

100g Roast Barley

200g Medium Crystal

1kg of DME

Yeast US05

Also I have some East Kent Goldings hops, do you think they could add to this recipe?

Thanks

That should be a very tasty beer.

Steep your crushed grains in hot water (70 deg or so), then boil the resultant liquid (after removing the grain), cool and add to your wort. US 05 should be a good yeast, or you could use Nottingham. EKG is a perfect hop for the style, you could dry hop at 1 - 2 g per litre or just chuck them in at the end of your boil when you take off the heat.

With that much roast barley and choc malt (and an EB tin) it will be dark and tasty.

I am going to do this Porter and a Toucan Stout for the father-in-law's 60th so I will be bottling into stubbies, do you think 1 carb drop per bottle will be ok or should I bite the bullet and attempt my first bulk prime to a lower carb level?

I am going to do this Porter and a Toucan Stout for the father-in-law's 60th so I will be bottling into stubbies, do you think 1 carb drop per bottle will be ok or should I bite the bullet and attempt my first bulk prime to a lower carb level?

Bulk Prime for more accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to bottle this on the weekend and am going to attempt to bulk prime, does anyone know what size tube fits in the fermenter taps?

My options are 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12.5mm.

Use the bottler in the tap and a line from the bottler to the secondary. I don't know the diameter of the bottler but guessing you'll probably need a 10mm line. best to take the bottler with you and fit it in the shop or just source one from your LHBS who should know what to get you.

Thanks Bill.

I was just going to connect the two taps with the tubing but would it be better to use the bottler and then just put the tube inside the second FV?

Also I guess you need to sanatise the inside of the tube? I use star san, would you just run that through the tube?

Some people connect via the two taps as you say. However, if I am bulk priming (which is rare) I just fill from the bottom up, just like a big fat bottle.

My hose and bottlers sit in a bucket of keg cleaner until they are ready to be used. Then I rinse them with hot water and a spray of Starsan (inside and out)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I'm going to put down the recipe above, with slight variations...

Coopers English bitter tin

300g Choc malt 600

100g Roast Barley

200g Medium Crystal 120

1kg of DME

200g Dark Brown Sugar (either this or molasses)

15g EKG @10mins

15g EKG @flame out

Yeast S04

Unless anyone can suggest something bad with this?

I cracked open my first bottle of the porter as per my original post and added 10g EKG @ 10mins, 20g @ 5mins and 20g dry hop.

It is a nice easy drinker but doesn't have a very strong taste, although I have been drinking my 7.5% Toucan Stout lately so I guess compared to that everything is going to be fairly weak tasting!

The name of my Porter will be.....

Poita Porta

554419_10150827998062397_547052396_10004182_1107496041_n.jpg

I thought about using VB as the base instead of the EB tin, as that's more Poita's bevy of choice....

Ah that takes me back.

But one question, at what point do you add the mullets? in the boil or dry?

Being winter I just had to drop a porter.

Did a can of Cascade Choc Mahogany porter.

safale04

1kg Dark spray malt

1kg of BE2

Boiled 10g of fuggle pellets for 10 mins took off of heat and steeped for 10 mins :)

Sg 1060 :)

Should be decent didnt cost the earth, I think was about $39 all up brewed to 23L.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived