Coopers Community

Leaky bottling valve

LeithB

I just bottled my first DIY batch today.

However it seems the bottle valve leaks a bit.

When there is no pressure on the pin (and the tube is full) it squirts out a continuous stream of beer.

I ended up having to turn the tap on and off between each bottle.

Hi Leith - Mine sometimes doesn't come down and form a seal properly but a bit of a jiggle will sort it.

Do some tests with water and see if you can get a seal - If it is faulty contact Coopers customer service and they'll most probably send you a replacement.

I just bottled my first DIY batch today.

However it seems the bottle valve leaks a bit.

When there is no pressure on the pin (and the tube is full) it squirts out a continuous stream of beer.

I ended up having to turn the tap on and off between each bottle.

same thing was happening to me plus the head fell off in the bottle grrrr. so i decided to superglue it together and i just throw the whole lot in the container od sanitiser......maybe not the best way but it was driving me nuts

They don't seal perfectly all the time but a steady stream should not be happening. Check that the o ring is in place on the poppet and look for any extra bits of plastic sticking out.[biggrin]

someone else on the forum had a similar problem a couple of months ago, but he was using his wand so vigorously that the head came clean off.

From memory it dissapeared under the fridge and came out covered in hair.

Could you tell me where you got the spring wand from? I need to replace my current one' date=' it's leaking an unfriendly amount in bottling :([/quote']

You can buy them at any home brew shop. They're only a few dollars.

I've never actually seen them in any home brew shops but then again I've never been specifically looking for them.

You can get them on eBay or these places that Google threw up might set you in the right direction [cool]

EDIT: Jeez - Just saw the postage on the ebay link I posted [pinched]....maybe try somewhere else [whistling

I've never actually seen them in any home brew shops but then again I've never been specifically looking for them.

You can get them on eBay or these places that Google threw up might set you in the right direction [cool]

EDIT: Jeez - Just saw the postage on the ebay link I posted [pinched]....maybe try somewhere else [whistling

i see the brigalow ones in IGA with the spring..not much cost at all

Way back when, we trialled the spring version bottling valve.[sideways]

Our main concern was the extra component that might go missing, corrode and/or be a source of infection.

We liked the springless valve because it also allowed the brewer to finesse the beer flow, to reduce flow when the brew is a bit foamy or as the brew reaches the lip of the bottle - rather than full off or on.

The amount of beer lost when a bottling valve drips during a bottling session is not much more than 1/2 a cup. Of course, there will always be the odd drip with the best sealing valve because the it is immersed in beer as the bottle is filled.

If the bottling valve is not performing as you would expect and you are prepared to have a go with another springless version, give our customer service a yell[biggrin]

My bottling valve has a little drip so I sit a cup underneath to catch the drips. I would be lucky to collect 100ml but it gives me something to drink at the end [wink]

I have two bottling wands and one leaks much more than the other though.

I have been using spring loaded valves for about 3 or 4 years and never a problem. Just got fed up over the years with the springless heaps of crud that dripped or did not shut off or even worse fell apart either in the bottle or between bottles. It is not only the lost beer that annoys it is the damn mess it makes when it inevitably falls apart or sticks.

A spring loaded one costs peanuts and once you have used it you will never want to use a springless one again.

someone else on the forum had a similar problem a couple of months ago, but he was using his wand so vigorously that the head came clean off.

From memory it dissapeared under the fridge and came out covered in hair.

I've found that Kleenex is best for this problem...

Archived