Coopers Community

That "steeley" taste...!

ExpatSthAussie

a commercial beer with a little corrosion on the lip of the bottle might taste steeley if drunk from the bottle.

Residual chlorine can react with hop compounds and throw a character described as "metallic"...

More info needed - type of bottles, type of cleaner/sanitiser and method, recipe, any other detail you think is not relevant [biggrin]

Have found that I experience the occasional one with my own crafty brews. Can anyone enlighten me. I'm thinking maybe a taint of sanitiser??[pinched] Hmmm

if it's an occasional bottle and not a batch, it's got to be something with the individual bottles, Id be looking to the lids or bottle cleanliness/sanitation.

Thanks PB2 & SS, It is only the odd one...yes 'mettalic' is the appropriate description (fan of your vocab Paul!). I'm using all glass bottles washed with bottle wash detergent, drained and then rinsed with Star San solution..I'm very fussy about hygine, all my caps are kept in snap lock bags etc. Might just be that lovely 'Brissy' water, who knows how much chlorine is getting added to the system..![joyful]I might try some filtered water..Cheers.

My 'visitors beer' is carlsberg or heineken.

Their excessive marketing fools my guests into thinking it's good.

Depending on the visitor though, my homebrew stock may be opened.

If I don't like the person I talk up the beer I want to get through, if I like the person I give them my best to enjoy[rightful]

And I love the steeley taste as i've experienced it more in other people's allgrain brews, which makes my kit beer taste better than theirs [biggrin]

My visitors get it from the keg. They tell me they like it. I tell them to be honest. They still tell me they like it.

I like it, I like it a lot [ninja]

As for steeley taste, can comment, but I have had the odd "plasticy taste" matter of fact I've got it now in my Amber Ale made with the OS lager and Galaxy and Topaz hops. Matter of fact I've only ever got this taste when adding hops from the LHBS, my son described it as chemical [alien]

[biggrin]

Me and nardi didnt have anything ready on the w'end so i ducked into Dr Dans and grabbed a carton of carlsberg, havent drank it ssince i lived in Southampton 30 years ago...bloody loved it[love]

Same here Wal.

Except when I go to friends' places then I seem to be the one supplying the beer. [lol] I don't mind though, it's good to get feedback from other people on my experiments.

Yeah mate, I'm with you. I don't mind shouting at home - or even elsewhere for that matter. In a strange sort of way it is quite satisfying to know that you can make beer that other people are happy to drink instead of bought beer.

I don't get visitors [crying]

But if I ever did I would give them my bestest beer so that they would really, really like me and may come back.

I once almost had a visitor; an electricity plan salesman. I tried to get him to have a drink but I must have come off as a bit desperate and scared him off.

At least I have internet friends [w00t]

I don't get visitors [crying]

But if I ever did I would give them my bestest beer so that they would really, really like me and may come back.

I once almost had a visitor; an electricity plan salesman. I tried to get him to have a drink but I must have come off as a bit desperate and scared him off.

At least I have internet friends [w00t]

[lol] [lol] [lol]

[biggrin]

Me and nardi didnt have anything ready on the w'end so i ducked into Dr Dans and grabbed a carton of carlsberg, havent drank it ssince i lived in Southampton 30 years ago...bloody loved it[love]

When I worked for Carlsberg eons ago the Danes and I used to grab a dozen or so bottles straight from the bottling machine before it was pasteurized and have mornos in the Chief Engineers office. Not a bad drop. I can tell you those Danes know how to drink.

Archived