i've just come up with a good cheap FV.

dscf16241024x768x.jpg

Get 2 clean 20 ltr buckets

dscf16231024x768.jpg

Cut the bottom out of one and make a hole in the other for a tap

dscf16271024x768.jpg

Fit tap and put one inside the other to increase head space

dscf16291024x768.jpg

Add gladwrap (sorry Lusty) and voile, plenty of space for a 20lt brew and will take 23lt at a push, perfect for Nardi's Ginger Beer

Can't believe the 'seat-of-your-pants' kind of DIY that home brewing inspires. Some of us lads should have been involved in the space program. [happy]

Necessity is the brother of invention Philbo...dont need to fly around in space but definately need more brewspace[lol]

Can't believe the 'seat-of-your-pants' kind of DIY that home brewing inspires. Some of us lads should have been involved in the space program. [happy]

Yes well done Nick but it does looks like a possible dunny for the space station.

spcedunny.jpg

hahahahaha how funny is that show,[lol] [lol]

• 2 weeks later...

I've never used an FV with a krausen ring, but that looks sweet [happy]

However, in another post on here, i read a fact from a reliable source, an airlock is a necessity as it is the very best way to monitor the progress of your brew [bandit]

I've never used an FV with a krausen ring' date=' but that looks sweet [happy']

However, in another post on here, i read a fact from a reliable source, an airlock is a necessity as it is the very best way to monitor the progress of your brew [bandit]

For a dedicated fencesitter, i'm gonna hang me swingers out to dry here, but i cant see the big deal about an air lock.

On both my DIY FV's i either use the lid or gladwrap (gotta love looking down at the action through the GW, it takes away the temptation to lift the lid for a little bo peep)

My other FV is an old one with an airlock. The first and only time i used the airlock it filled with brown gunk from the stout i was brewing and looked like an infection waiting to happen. now i just follows Yobs lead and put a sterile bottle top over the hole and leave it be.

I also think that this allows the CO2 to escape more quickly and reduces the agression of the krausen, no basis for this comment and not claiming it as FACT, just an opinion based on experience[biggrin]

there you go, could turn into an informative thread about the pro's and cons of airlocks or other?

Oh sorry that one's been done before and ended up in siberia with half of the members here, so scrap that idea[lol]

Archived