Coopers Community

AG brew day. The other end of the spectrum. :)

PhilboBaggins

However, I share Hairy's point of view that it is convenient to throw on 4 brews when you're on hollys and pitch whenever you like. [cool]

I think each brew might have a different method. If like you say you're on hollies and you do multiple batch in short order than No-Chill+cube would be the go, BUT if you are on a regular schedule then I'd say CHILL Man!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was my pleasure Chad. I hope everyone enjoyed it.

I can't wait to see Kelseys brew day. So when is that happening mate?

If you do what I did and ensure a rocking soundtrack of Airbourne, Steel Panther, and At The Gates you'll be laughing! [cool]

My brewday was yesterday, but I do have all the pics here. I just need to make them smaller and upload them to the net so I can put them in a post. I've gotta bugger off to a BBQ now, so will probably post something tomorrow. Unfortunately there was no soundtrack, I'm going to have to do something about that methinks. [pinched] However, I've enjoyed this thread, it's interesting to see how others go about essentially the same process. [biggrin]

Cheers guys.

A heavy metal BIAB marathon, what an excellent idea!

There probably are parts of my process that could be improved (I rigged up a simple pulley system to make removing the grain bag easier and eliminate spillage), but all in all, it still produces great tasting beer at the end, and that's what it's all about!

Just pulled it outta my butt John. I've been inventing my own recipes since I began AG, and out of 20-something AG brews I've only made two s**t ones. One was due to too much Nelson without enough bitterness to even it out (tasted like passion fruit soft drink [sick]) and the other got too warm before I had my fridge setup and developed some fusels, which was even worse[crying].

Whenever I make a bad beer I always make myself drink the lot to teach myself a lesson. [bandit]

I have only used simcoe a couple of times and love it.

Mate, I was hoping someone would say that. I keep reading things about certain hops which taste crap, and how you should use them sparingly. You know what? I've had to eat my words on several occasions recently and I will not make the mistake of knocking something before I try it ever again!

I've recently had an APA with ALL Galaxy, dry hopped with something like 4g per litre, and it was killer!

Some of you may remember me being blown away by a beer I had poured through a Randall with fresh POR flowers. Something I was told would be disgusting, but turned out to be delicious! [love]

Home brew is about tailoring your beer to suit your own palette and no one else's. I believe we all achieve that goal. [cool]

Thanks Phil,

Appreciate the effort you have put in to share this with everyone, especially those like myself who are getting closer to having a crack at all grain. Really informative and encouraging.

Before I had to go out half way through, and whilst I new the mash process was happening, I was still checking the posts every 15 minutes.

Enjoyed every minute, thanks again.

Looking for forward to your brew day Otto!

Home brew is about tailoring your beer to suit your own palette and no one else's. I believe we all achieve that goal. [cool]

I wonder how many of us tailor our beer to suit our own palette and how many of us achieve that goal Phil.

Home brewing totally broadened my taste in beers. I grew up drinking crappy SA beers and thinking those SA Brewing Co. lagers were the best in the world. I had a narrow view on what beer should be and bagged out anything that did not fall into that range.

It has taken me decades of serious drinking to iron out my problem and I am still working on it. Today I try anything. When I travel I insist on drinking a different beer every day. Rather than brewing to my taste I try to brew different beers and I find my taste adjusts continually.

One day a Hoegaarden the next an Arrogant Bastard but I enjoy them all. Isn't beer a wonderful thing?

I wonder how many of us tailor our beer to suit our own palette and how many of us achieve that goal Phil.

Home brewing totally broadened my taste in beers. I grew up drinking crappy SA beers and thinking those SA Brewing Co. lagers were the best in the world. I had a narrow view on what beer should be and bagged out anything that did not fall into that range.

It has taken me decades of serious drinking to iron out my problem and I am still working on it. Today I try anything. When I travel I insist on drinking a different beer every day. Rather than brewing to my taste I try to brew different beers and I find my taste adjusts continually.

One day a Hoegaarden the next an Arrogant Bastard but I enjoy them all. Isn't beer a wonderful thing?

Well spoken, as usual John. I think I actually need to start trying more different beers. Saw a black IPA at the grog shop the other day. Maybe I'll bust out and try it?

Just pulled it outta my butt John. I've been inventing my own recipes since I began AG' date=' and out of 20-something AG brews I've only made two s**t ones. One was due to too much Nelson without enough bitterness to even it out (tasted like passion fruit soft drink [sick']) and the other got too warm before I had my fridge setup and developed some fusels, which was even worse[crying].

Whenever I make a bad beer I always make myself drink the lot to teach myself a lesson. [bandit]

not a bad idea there...at least you would definitley learn from your mistakes...or get used to it like i did for years lol[biggrin]

BTW Chad

Are you in Oz or just not sleeping?

Ha!

I read your post at exactly mid-night (Mountain time). It's the latest I've stayed up in a long while. I think it's really funny you notice[biggrin] . I'll probably be in the dog house in the morning since the SWMBO doesn't like me staying up too late. Oh, well![pinched]

I'm blaming the FACT that NHL hockey is back from work stoppages an my team won the 1st game of the season! I'm celebrating! Woohoo![joyful] [alien]

ok who is your team? i dont get to see it much but ill take your team on out of priciple [biggrin]

Okay guys, stupid question time...[unsure]

If one was to follow Chad's idea of diluting the concentrated wort with chilled water to aid/speed up the chilling process, how would one do it and why?

1. Add water directly to the kettle prior to whirlpooling (assuming the kettle has sufficient spare volume).

2. Add hot wort to the cube, then add chilled water to the cube.

3. Add all of the chilled water to the cube, then the wort.

4. Add some of the chilled water to the cube, then the wort, then top up with water.

I know from a common sense point of view what I would do, but not from a scientific point of view

Thanks ,

Okay guys' date=' stupid question time...[unsure']

If one was to follow Chad's idea of diluting the concentrated wort with chilled water to aid/speed up the chilling process, how would one do it and why?

1. Add water directly to the kettle prior to whirlpooling (assuming the kettle has sufficient spare volume).

4. Add some of the chilled water to the cube, then the wort, then top up with water.

I know from a common sense point of view what I would do, but not from a scientific point of view

Thanks ,

Don't add anything to the cube unless you are fermenting in it.

I think Chad was saying to chill the wort in the kettle by way of an ice bath. Then add this to the FV with the chilled water.

It means you don't have to chill down as far before pitching because the cold water helps you get to the pitching temp.

I think [unsure]

Okay guys' date=' stupid question time...[unsure']

Thanks ,

Scot it would depend to some degree on your system. Like for me, I am not a cubist. Straight into the FV and pitch asap is the way I do it.

With the aid of a simple on-line temperature mixing calculator I know how low I need to drop the temperature of the volume of wort so that I can add the prescribed amount of ice water to get the final volume and temperature for pitching. I add it to the FV, aerate and pitch, into the fridge.

Cubists of course view the world from a different perspective.

Well I was trying to be kind to them Hairy but since you bring it up YES I think that is their view of the world.

I was being kind too. I think if it was good enough for Picasso to be a cubist then it is good enough for me. It's pretty cool [cool]

With the aid of a simple on-line temperature mixing calculator I know how low I need to drop the temperature of the volume of wort so that I can add the prescribed amount of ice water to get the final volume and temperature for pitching..

Linky John? I looked about but am curious as to the one you use. Thanks.

With the aid of a simple on-line temperature mixing calculator I know how low I need to drop the temperature of the volume of wort so that I can add the prescribed amount of ice water to get the final volume and temperature for pitching..

Linky John? I looked about but am curious as to the one you use. Thanks.

Something like this you could play with to get the estimate. There are heaps of them out there.

Calculators and Cubists

picassofemmeenpleurs.jpg

This is a famous Picasso painting of a cubist's wife

Archived