Coopers Community

AG brew day. The other end of the spectrum. :)

PhilboBaggins

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll start with the recipe:

recipeh.jpg

I knew I had seen it somewhere, it must have been burnt into my subconscious.

I finally got Brewmate to download on my nerd box and designed a recipe to put down this weekend.

My grain bill is pretty much the same as yours (I have slightly more % of Munich and slightly less wheat) but I only brew 16 litres.

And I am using Simcoe at 60 and 30 minutes with cascade and Amarillo for flavour and aroma additions.

I have a starter chugging away with Wyeast 1332: Northwest Ale yeast just for something different.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction Phil [wink]

Rockstar!! Simcoe ROCKS!!

Why the low eff. Hairy?

ed: tis a good grain bill too... bit o extra wheat wouldnt hurt either if you dont mind me adding 2c

Yob

I normally hit 70%.

Efficiency is fine; I am just using less grain (4.1kg in total) and making 16 litres. I still haven't got all my gear together yet so still doing stovetop boils.

Home brew is about tailoring your beer to suit your own palette and no one else's. I believe we all achieve that goal. [cool]

I wonder how many of us tailor our beer to suit our own palette and how many of us achieve that goal Phil.

Home brewing totally broadened my taste in beers. I grew up drinking crappy SA beers and thinking those SA Brewing Co. lagers were the best in the world. I had a narrow view on what beer should be and bagged out anything that did not fall into that range.

It has taken me decades of serious drinking to iron out my problem and I am still working on it. Today I try anything. When I travel I insist on drinking a different beer every day. Rather than brewing to my taste I try to brew different beers and I find my taste adjusts continually.

One day a Hoegaarden the next an Arrogant Bastard but I enjoy them all. Isn't beer a wonderful thing?

I just noticed this post...oh (dugh Ned) where do i get the recipe for Arrogant Bastard???i just gotta have one of those in the shed...[biggrin]

Thanks for digging up the thread again fellas! [biggrin]

Yep, I'm expecting some big things from this beer, but you're right Yob, more wheat would probably be quite nice. I started adding 5% TO EVERYTHING just as a head retention agent, but then started bumping it up slowly, and now I'm addicted to the body frothy goodness that it brings to each glass. Especially now that I'm carbing much lower than I used to, it comes across more as cream on top of your beer rather than froth.

My efficiency into FV is all over the place. Sometimes its 71%, sometimes as low as 62%. In the end though, all the beer turns out rockin, and I'm not fussed about a few gravity points either way at all.

For example, I cubed a choccy porter for my sister-in-law a couple months ago (still havven't fermented it, sorry Jules), aiming for 1.047 and got 1.051!!! She'll love it anyway.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction Phil

Any time mate. I'm using the same bill for an IPA with Centennial tomorrow (never used Centennial) and it may become my regular base for IPA (with some more wheat of course).

I love this place! [lol] [lol]

I just noticed this post...oh (dugh Ned) where do i get the recipe for Arrogant Bastard???i just gotta have one of those in the shed...[biggrin]

Hi Ned

Just Google Arrogant Bastard Clone and there are heaps of recipes out there. What are you looking for PM or AG? I thort u was a K&K man?

Yob, Phil and Kelsey with there brewday threads have been awesome and we gotta thank em for it.

They have inspired me to plan a brew which will be my ultimate brewing challenge to date. A clone of what is generally accepted as possibly the world's best beer.

Wow, a reading marathon.... I just read all this thread and must say well done to Phil for doing this.

I will say a couple of things that people seemed to have missed with regards to No-Chill. Yes, it will work most of the time by chilling with additional cold water for a faster chill. However, one of the main reasons for no chill in the cube is so the hot wort is in contact for a length of time to aid the process of sterilising the cube. Therefore, a less possibility for an infection.

The other thing I should point out is the convenience of being able to ferment it at a later date than right away. If you don't want to ferment right away then I would suggest letting it cool down on its own accord.

Having said the above I know there are quite a few people who "slow" chill which would be similar to adding cold water but instead they just throw their cubes into a pool and I don't think they have had any problems doing this.

All in all it looks like a good brew day was had Phil without any major hiccups, good job mate.

All in all it looks like a good brew day was had Phil without any major hiccups' date=' good job mate.[/quote']

Thanks Bill. The lack of hiccups is partly due to me restraining myself from having my first beer until the boil is nearly over. I love having a beer during most jobs around the house, but I figure whilst handling 20+ litres of boiling liquid it's probably best to show some restraint (just a little [devil]).

Totally agree with letting the cube chill slowly. 4 hours later and the cube is still too hot to touch. Bugger all could live inside that I figure.

Really chuffed about the response from this thread. With some of the crazy science lab systems getting pictorials these days it's cool that my humble little back yard setup is still interesting to people.

Hi Ned

Just Google Arrogant Bastard Clone and there are heaps of recipes out there. What are you looking for PM or AG? I thort u was a K&K man?

Yob, Phil and Kelsey with there brewday threads have been awesome and we gotta thank em for it.

They have inspired me to plan a brew which will be my ultimate brewing challenge to date. A clone of what is generally accepted as possibly the world's best beer.

yes im only just moving onto K&B for now...i can wait..[biggrin] yes this thread has been awesome

A clone of what is generally accepted as possibly the world's best beer

Harvesting the yeast is going to be expensive and since its probably the most crucial component of this brew its probably the only way to go. At least you will have a comparison though.

Really chuffed about the response from this thread. With some of the crazy science lab systems getting pictorials these days it's cool that my humble little back yard setup is still interesting to people.

Thats the thing mate, you have shown just how simple a process it can be, this makes people think that they can do it... and it's true of course.. they can!!

There seems to be a redily accepthed thought out there that AG beer is hard to make... well.. it aint, regardless of process, BIAB brews have been winning awards over 3V systems (or at least holding their own) for years... the setup that is right for people is largely a space thing, BIAB uses the least space for the same result of a 3V system...

Personally I enjoyed the challenge of building a recirculating system and am stoked with how it turned out.. my setup is still pretty ghetto by the standards of some other out there but the point is.. it works for ME..

I love these threads for what they bring to the table..

again mate, well done!

Yob

All in all it looks like a good brew day was had Phil without any major hiccups' date=' good job mate.[/quote']

Thanks Bill. The lack of hiccups is partly due to me restraining myself from having my first beer until the boil is nearly over. I love having a beer during most jobs around the house, but I figure whilst handling 20+ litres of boiling liquid it's probably best to show some restraint (just a little [devil]).

Totally agree with letting the cube chill slowly. 4 hours later and the cube is still too hot to touch. Bugger all could live inside that I figure.

as well you may well be Phil...your another one that has got me looking at BIAB.....its a conspiracy im sure.....Yobs set up had me convinced it was waaaaaay to costly etc for me...then along comes Phillobaggins and totaly sucks me into this nonsense!!! P.S keep up the good work, cheers ned[biggrin] [lol] P.P.S I just looooove being lead astray lol

• 1 month later...

Ha. Remember the muppets?

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I've started drinking this one tonight and OMFG. Not quite bitter enough due to the high grav boil, but flavour is one of the best I have ever brewed. Simcoe and me are now best friends. [love] [devil]

Archived