Coopers Community

timing and temps for bottle conditioning

It's a week today since I bottled my first batch of Coopers Lager. I almost let it sit a bit longer before bottling, but since it was so warm I decided against risking infection.

It's consistently been in excess of 23c indoors.

I've kept my bottles safely in a little cupboard under the desk where My laptop is, so they're out of the light, and kept a bit cooler.

I know you're supposed to let them sit for at least 2 weeks post bottling at 18c or more, but since the primary ferment was accelerated due to the warmth, is this also likely to be the case for the secondary ferment? Obviously the longer I let them sit (within reason) the better they'll get, but am I likely to open up a flat or otherwise inferior beer if I don't give them another week? I can hold back; I got some James Squire to hold me over, but just curious.

Currently drinking James Squire "The chancer Golden Ale", preparing to test first batch of Coopers Lager, bottled 4th January 2013.

Have one Ben, you will find its not bad. carbonation will be lacking a bit and what there is, wont hold a good head for long, but satisfy your curiosity mate. it will be much better after 2 weeks and better again after a month. Taste one every week and you will see how patience will be its own reward.

Better get another brew on so you can build your stock[biggrin]

It's a week today since I bottled my first batch of Coopers Lager. I almost let it sit a bit longer before bottling, but since it was so warm I decided against risking infection.

It's consistently been in excess of 23c indoors.

I've kept my bottles safely in a little cupboard under the desk where My laptop is, so they're out of the light, and kept a bit cooler.

I know you're supposed to let them sit for at least 2 weeks post bottling at 18c or more, but since the primary ferment was accelerated due to the warmth, is this also likely to be the case for the secondary ferment? Obviously the longer I let them sit (within reason) the better they'll get, but am I likely to open up a flat or otherwise inferior beer if I don't give them another week? I can hold back; I got some James Squire to hold me over, but just curious.

Currently drinking James Squire "The chancer Golden Ale", preparing to test first batch of Coopers Lager, bottled 4th January 2013.

since i got back to brewing few weeks back ive been drinking one and two week bottled brews....as nick says doesnt hold the head well but it still better tasting than what i was brewing for years before :)

but yes get brewing and stock up cos the longer it sits the nicer it is, cheers Nedg

I made the mistake of having a couple of good beers before trying my not quite ready brew, so it tasted crap.

I've still got half the bottle left, so I'll give it a taste today with a fresh palate, I'm sure it's the comparison that made it taste not so good; wasn't off, just tasted weak and of course was a bit flat - but comparing it to a golden ale obviously is not going to do it justice.

Tempted as I am, I might hold back on brewing another batch until next month; with temps in the 30s for the next few weeks I don't want to spend all my time fighting to keep my brew cool.

Thanks again guys.

I think even though they might only take a few days to a week to ferment the priming sugar in the bottles, it takes longer for the CO2 to actually be absorbed into the beer, so that's why you'd find the week old ones a bit flat. However, I understand the curiosity, I did the same thing on my first brew. [lol]

Do you have a decent sized laundry tub or something like that? Last brew I did I put mine in the laundry tub half filled with water, got a couple of bags of party ice from the shop to kickstart the cooling, and then used frozen soft drink bottles/freezer blocks to keep the water cold and in turn the brew cool. It was mid 30s all the time and I was able to keep it around 20-22 most of the time. Just a thought though. I don't have the space for one of those fancy brew fridges like most of the guys have on here so I have to improvise in order to keep brewing. I don't really see the point in leaving a heap of empty bottles lying around with no beer in them [lol]

Hi BenH72.

Currently drinking James Squire "The chancer Golden Ale"...

It's a great beer isn't it?

How would you like to brew it for yourself? You can you know. [joyful]

The following recipe, I can safely say has been brewed by more home brewers in Australia than any other recipe. Why? Because it's relatively simple & gives fantastic results when compared with the commercial product it is based upon.

Here goes Ben...

Place 6-8 or so litres of water in your fridge the night before you plan to brew this recipe.

1 x Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale tin 1.7kg

1 x Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract tin 1.5kg

Caramalt grain (cracked) 250gms (You can buy this from a reputable brewshop)

Amarillo hops 60gms

US-05 yeast (dry yeast pkt also available from a good brewshop)

Method:

1). Empty both extract cans into your fermenter with 2-3 litres of hot water. Mix well & put lid back on fermenter.

2). In a pot on the stove, bring 2\xbd litres of water to just on boil, then turn heat off. Wait 5 mins, add Caramalt grain into the pot, stir & cover with lid for 30 mins.

3). With the use of a tight weave strainer, strain the contents of this pot into another pot of similar size, removing the grain debris in the process. Place this pot back on the stove & bring to a gentle boil.

4). Once the liquid is at gentle boil, add 15gms of Amarillo pellets. Stir & allow a further 10 mins to elapse, then add another 15gms of Amarillo hops into the pot, stir, allow a further 5 minutes to elapse, turn off the stove top burner, then add another 15gms of Amarillo hops & stir. Remove pot from heat. Place in sink & surround with cold tap water for approx. 5mins.

5). Remove the lid on your fermenter & place a clean strainer over the fermenter & pour the contents of the pot into the fermenter. Stir well & then add cold water (including the 8 litres you refrigerated) to reach the 23 litre mark.

Attempt to have the temperature of your fermenter at approx. 20-24\xb0C, before your pitch & stir in your yeast. Follow Otto's instructions as best you can to maintain that temperature for 2 weeks. After 5-6 days have elapsed into that 2 week timeframe, add in the remaining 15gms of Amarillo hops into your fermenter & secure the lid.

Take your hydrometer reading after the 2 weeks have expired over 2 days, & if the reading is the same, then bottle the beer.

Allow a further 2 weeks to secondary ferment & then chill a few of them down & treat yourself to a drink! You'll absolutely love it!!

Any problems, simply type them here & one of the great group here on the forum will be able to assist you. [biggrin]

If you do have a go at it, let us know how it turned out. [cool]

Anthony.

It's a great beer isn't it?

[unsure]

I can safely say has been brewed by more home brewers in Australia than any other recipe.

[unsure]

So James Squires use coopers ingredients? [lol]

[whistling

The JS Golden Ale isn't a bad beer. It isn't earth shatteringly fantastic but it is an easy drinking pleasant beer.

As for the recipe being brewed by more home brewers than any other, perhaps it was just some hyperbole by Lusty to get a sale [biggrin]

When you read brewing forums it is easy to think that all home brewers are out there playing around with hops and grains. But my guess would be that the majority of home brewers (by a long way) are standard kit & kilo brewers.

Perhaps the most brewed recipe coud be the good old Coopers lager with some type of brewing sugar.

I know of two blokes who have been brewing for years.

Same recipe every time...can of OS Draught & kilo of sugar.

I am sure there are plenty of others out there going along quietly brewing the same simple brews they have been drinking all their lives.

The last 6 pack I bought before the JS (last week) was a Coopers Premium Lager - it was bargain priced so I thought it was good value. The JS Golden Ale was pretty disappointing in comparison; I should just have bought more of the Coopers Lager - and since that's kind of close to the flavour of my brew of DIY Coopers Lager, I should probably stick with that.

Space, time and temps are a struggle for me, so if I do a second batch, I won't be doing a third until I'm back to having 30 empties waiting to be filled.

Homebrewing is problematic in a 2 bedroom villa, espeically when the other half gets about in a wheelchair (CP - a discussion for another time). I can see why the vast majority tend to just go with the kit brews - so much easier than mucking about, and although I'd proabably go for adjusting the recipe when I'm a bit more familiar, I'd rather master the basics before trying to get into the complex brewing techniques.

I agree about avoiding the MegaSwill - I can't stand the old stock standard Tooheys, VB, XXXX or Carlton Beers anymore.

The closest I'd get these days would be a Boags, Blue Tongue, or perhaps one of the slightly less crap mass produced, like Pils, Extra Dry, or Hahn Premium - essentially a European Lager (as if anyone didn't know).

What I do know even at this early stage is how much difference decent water makes.

Last time I brewed I was stuck using tap water, but these days I wouldn't even drink it without filtration (Sydney tap water is supposedly safe, but you can smell the chlorine when you're running the tap if you have weaned yourself off it). I also figure if it's not safe for my tropical fish to swim in without treatment it's probably not good to drink it either. So I used my little Brita filter to get all the nasties out of my water before putting it in my FV, and it seems to have made a difference compared to days of old.

That and of course I know better than to use SMB to sanitize these days, no wonder I gave up brewing before; why would you keep doing it if cleaning your gear makes your beer taste crap?

I did another taste of the bottle I opened on Friday; a bit flat, but in hindsight, I think it was a bit better than the JS, so I must be doing something right even at this early stage!

Next batch, regardless of the weather and temps, I'll not even think of bottling until after day six, will leave it a few days to clean up after, will be extra vigilant about hygene, and I think perhaps go for the Euro Lager; although if anyone has a suggestion about a beer style that will not be compromised if it has to sit at 26c in the FV due to the Summer weather I'll consider that.

Currently contemplating the next brew, drinking JS Golden Ale, (Better than cats piss, worse than Coopers, Blue Tongue, Boags, Hahn Premium, or any good beer - you can drink it but enjoying it is a bit of a stretch).

Conditioning a batch of Coopers Lager with BE1 (as included in the starter kit).

Agree wholeheartedly Greg. Apart from you lads, I only know 7 or 8 brewers in 'real life' and only one of them strays from K&K.

Two of them are Lager kit + white sugar (both have been doing this for well over a decade)[alien].

The rest are all Coopers kits + recommended BE except for one who goes crazy and uses all malt and 25g of hops every now and then, and the odd toucan brew.

I would say that people using hops and grains are well and truly in the minority of Aussie brewers.

Just my 2c.

Apart from you lads' date=' I only know 7 or 8 brewers in 'real life' and only one of them strays from K&K.[/quote']

Phil, just in case you thought this whole Coopers Forum was a fantasy of yours, I exist in the 'real life' too [biggrin]

Although I sometimes wish that I didn't; walking around with my sword and shield, drinking from tankards and chatting up wenches. Actually that sounds like my life throughout my 20's.

I know of two blokes who have been brewing for years.

I am sure there are plenty of others out there going along quietly brewing the same simple brews they have been drinking all their lives.

for sure greg...i brewed for 8 years real ale and woolies sugar..ANY temp...except in winter we wrapped an electric blamket round the fv( double size fv) and threw a couple old quilts over it.......suited us heaps but im enjoying my new taste beer since being on here...and ive only just started. cheers Ned its the old saying i guess you do what suits you...now i got time and a lil space plus meet ing you blokes im enjoying playing around

Beerlust i like the recipe you mentioned earlier about James Squire "The chancer Golden Ale".

im still in the process of making my first brew however i want to get started on my second batch ASAP (stockpile).

the recipe seems fairly easy, would you recommend this for my second attempt at making my own beer ?

or do you suggest something else

Cheers

Beerlust i like the recipe you mentioned earlier about James Squire "The chancer Golden Ale".

im still in the process of making my first brew however i want to get started on my second batch ASAP (stockpile).

the recipe seems fairly easy, would you recommend this for my second attempt at making my own beer ?

Cheers

If you are keen to do it then I reckon you should give it a go. It will give you the experience of steeping grains and using hops.

Once you have done it you will realise how easy it is and will be glad you didn't put it off.

All our flapping aside, it would make a damn fine beer if you're interested in making it.

Just coz we said most people brew K&K doesn't mean we're advocating it. [rightful]

Lusty has provided a pretty awesome recipe (is that the extract version of Dr. S's GA?) so have a crack if you can get hold of the gear. [happy]

Hello Ben & Anthony.

Cheers

I certainly can't take credit for the recipe. It was originally developed/brewed/posted by a well known home brewer over numerous Australian home brewing forums by the name of "Dr. Smurto".

As my fellow forum members have correctly stated, it is not the most brewed home brew recipe in Australia. A poor choice of words on my part. But I reckon it's probably the most brewed home brew recipe for those that move forward from kit & kilo based recipes.

If you don't believe me, simply GooGle "Smurto golden ale", & see how many links it spits out. [innocent]

Dr. Smurto went on to develop this recipe into an extract version & eventually an All Grain version of which I believe he scored a 46/50 at the Australian Home Brewing Competition that year to win that category & adjudged overall Best Beer of Show.

I've done my best to provide you with a step by step guide on how to brew the beer, & if you do, you will certainly have a very enjoyable beer that will only help to show a glimpse of the standard of beer that YOU as a home brewer are capable of brewing.

It's a great step up beer that uses quality extract products, gives you some experience in using grain additives, allows you add flavour & aroma by using added hops, & the end result will be a beer I know you'll be really happy you brewed. [happy]

If you need any help brewing the beer, just post here & any number of the kind members on the Coopers forum will help you with any concerns you may have.

Good luck with it. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Archived