Coopers Community

Strange brewing phenomena

Nick

We chuckle about this but it is an important subject.

It is easy for us blokes to find reasons to consume too much of our beer. The old line that I have got to make room to bottle or keg the next lot, beer is good for you, yeast had vitamin B,etc, etc, etc.

I know I will get flamed for suggesting caution in how much we drink but over the years I have lost a few mates who did drink significantly above recommended levels. Survived a heart attack myself and have had several heart ops. and nowadays try not to drink more than 1 - 2 x 375ml bottles a day.

Everything in moderation they say and when the gut shows signs of getting larger that is probably a warning to ease up on the beer and get more exercise.

Let the flames begin and RDWHAHB

It is easy for us blokes to find reasons to consume too much of our beer. The old line that I have got to make room to bottle or keg the next lot, beer is good for you, yeast had vitamin B,etc, etc, etc.

I know I will get flamed for suggesting caution in how much we drink but over the years I have lost a few mates who did drink significantly above recommended levels. Survived a heart attack myself and have had several heart ops. and nowadays try not to drink more than 1 - 2 x 375ml bottles a day.

Everything in moderation they say and when the gut shows signs of getting larger that is probably a warning to ease up on the beer and get more exercise.

It is very brave post John, but also on the money. I gave up the smokes 18 months ago (50 plus a day for 20 odd years) and i did put on a few K's soon after. Anyhow, great post, and good to hear that you are well after a heart attack[biggrin]

yes it is a good post. i will not discuss this any furhter but i gave up smokes after 40 years 3 yrs ago...now i get told the bad news...its the way it goes i guess.so im gunna make sure i make at least a couple good brews before i go. cheers.:)

and nick..its still your fault im buying an stc1000 lol

It s everyone's personal choice but I agree with what you say.

I saw a guy wearing a craft beer shirt on the weekend and it summed up my motto:

"Drink better beer, drink less beer".

It s everyone's personal choice but I agree with what you say.

I saw a guy wearing a craft beer shirt on the weekend and it summed up my motto:

"Drink better beer, drink less beer".

im starting to think that way of late (since i been on here) also....i figure i may as well drink the best i can.......all good gang

What a great little motto ("Drink better beer, drink less beer").

It sums up what most of home brewers are about.

I know there are a percentage who just want quantity over quality but for most we are striving to make great beer.

Personally I now brew 11.5 Litre batches BIAB. Brew regularly and try doing different recipes. I never have more than about 150(max) x 375ml bottles in my storage and usually have a small batch in the FV at any most time. Stocks are down to record low levels after Xmas so must build them up. Got my Blue Moon clone in the FV at present.

Beer in moderation is a part of my healthy diet and I plan on living for ever - so far so good.

I actually read a medical report somewhere that said it isn't beer as such that causes "beer guts", it's more all the crap people tend to eat in conjunction with drinking it. Chips etc. That said, one or two beers a day is better than 10 or 20 as it does have health benefits. As you say, moderation is the key. [rightful]

I dont know what has happened' date=' but in the six months that i have been brewing, all my clothes have shrunk. WTF?[pinched']

Haha! Yeah something like that happened to me too Nick. [lol]

It started for me after I gave up smoking. I smoked for 16 years, & gave them up about 11-12 yrs ago now. Smoking is so habitual. Initially you need to find something to do in those times that you would normally be smoking. For most you eat as that substitute.

I got tired of hearing the "...drink in moderation..." speech & decided to approach drinking in a different manner. I'm primarily a session drinker, so the moderation approach doesn't suit me. I prefer to deal with my drinking in terms of a "balance".

For me to equalize that balance, I cut down on the carbs in my diet, & detox in between drinking when I can & as best I can.

I'm certainly not advocating it as the right way to approach drinking, but...

hunter1.jpg

...It works for me! [biggrin]

Anthony.

Yeah great post. Since I started brewing, I have been drinking like a fish, and the belt has gone out a notch. But in the last week, I have slowed down, stopping at about 4 subbies worth. Once I'm back at work, things should slow down.

Gents

I agree that moderation is the key to sustained good health. However I must admit that this is something I find very difficult with quality beer such as my homebrew. Once you get a taste (sorry to sound like a Dipsomaniac) for a beer one 375ml stubbie is hardly enough to satisfy.

When I started DIY beer I went a bit over the top with many brews pushing the 5.5% mark. Since moving to kegging I am aiming at a maximum ABV of 4.2%.

For me moderation is in the form of mid strength beer (albeit at the high end) and then enjoying 4 standard drinks in a day. You'll find that most literature speaks of between 2 -4 standard drinks a day as being moderate and that you should have 1 or 2 alcohol free nights a week.

I have read that more than 4 drinks in a session is detrimental to your long term health.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor so take what I say with a grain of salt

Gents

I agree that moderation is the key to sustained good health. However I must admit that this is something I find very difficult with quality beer such as my homebrew. Once you get a taste (sorry to sound like a Dipsomaniac) for a beer one 375ml stubbie is hardly enough to satisfy.

When I started DIY beer I went a bit over the top with many brews pushing the 5.5% mark. Since moving to kegging I am aiming at a maximum ABV of 4.2%.

For me moderation is in the form of mid strength beer (albeit at the high end) and then enjoying 4 standard drinks in a day. You'll find that most literature speaks of between 2 -4 standard drinks a day as being moderate and that you should have 1 or 2 alcohol free nights a week.

I have read that more than 4 drinks in a session is detrimental to your long term health.

I'm with you Scottie, i would find it hard to cut down much on volume as i am so loving the beer i am making, but brewing lower alcohol beers is a good compromise. My thread from last week regarding lower ABV APA is for this very reason. On saturday i will put down an APA with just the can and 500gm of LDM. if it turns out nice and concensus here says that it will, then that will be my stock beer. I was predominantly a mid drinker before i started brewing, so the ABV is not a concern. i will still make the odd full strength, but may even experiment with a mid strength stout.[biggrin]

Gents

I'm with you Scottie, i would find it hard to cut down much on volume as i am so loving the beer i am making, but brewing lower alcohol beers is a good compromise. My thread from last week regarding lower ABV APA is for this very reason. On saturday i will put down an APA with just the can and 500gm of LDM. if it turns out nice and concensus here says that it will, then that will be my stock beer. I was predominantly a mid drinker before i started brewing, so the ABV is not a concern. i will still make the odd full strength, but may even experiment with a mid strength stout.[biggrin]

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay what he said[biggrin] Sorry Scottie i meant what you both said

I like my beers 4.3 - 5.5. If I want something stronger there's always wine, but I'm gone off wine since I started brewing beer. I still have wines I brewed 2 years ago that probably taste amazing now but I just never bother to open them anymore.

And on the belly thing... I payed a lot to get it to the size it is now. It would be an aweful waste of money if i was to slim down! [biggrin]

Sorry for being a dumby but what is RDWHAHB

[innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent]

Serious mate, don't you know anything?

I don't either; I have no idea [biggrin]

[innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent]

Serious mate, don't you know anything?

I don't either; I have no idea [biggrin]

Sounds like another comp coming up.....we all have a guess and Lusty can judge the winner[innocent]

Relax, don't worry, have a home brew

Rememebr always that google is your friend.

Relax, don't worry, have a home brew

Rememebr always that google is your friend.

Yeah yeah, i knew that[innocent]

Archived