Coopers Community

How many Years, How many Brews

I brew all extract and only did a few kit brews. This isn't because they were bad I just felt it was too easy and wanted more if a challenge.

I got back into brewing again in January after about 8 years absence and that's exactly what I did, for exactly the same reason. I mean, any old Joe can throw a can of goo and a bag of powder into a plastic drum and mix it up. Having said that, I did add hops and grains to my kit brews, and they turned out very nice.

It was always my intention to go AG, at least after I had a look around the net and read about it, and my 15th brew marked that occasion in late Sept/early Oct. I would have done it sooner, but I had a rubbish job and rubbish pay and couldn't afford the equipment (I got my current job in August). I use the BIAB method, mostly due to space constraints, but it's also a very simple method, although I'm sure Yob's is just as simple too once you know how.

All in all though, my AG beers are probably the best ones I've brewed and I enjoy the process a lot more than using cans of extract, they just seem to have a bit more flavour punch and taste fresher to me. And you have absolute control over the final product.[biggrin]

All in all though' date=' my AG beers are probably the best ones I've brewed and I enjoy the process a lot more than using cans of extract, they just seem to have a bit more flavour punch and taste fresher to me. And you have absolute control over the final product.[/quote']

+1

I say this even though I have never brewed an AG beer. I have however tasted MANY. The freshness aspect is the overwhelming positive that I notice when drinking AG home brewed beers.

In defense of extract based brewing, I would say that the offerings of base extract tins seems to be expanding into new flavour territories, & if you can align yourself with a good wholesaler/retailer who has fresher/newer dated base malt extract tins, you will certainly get a lot closer to the lovely fresh flavours that only All Grain based brewing can provide.

My 2 cents.

If you are looking for me, I'll be in the trub with the rest of the "shite".

Anthony.

I mean' date=' any old Joe can throw a can of goo and a bag of powder into a plastic drum and mix it up. Having said that, I did add hops and grains to my kit brews, and they turned out very nice. [/quote']

I did 4 kit brews before I made the jump to all dme. I think the fact my mate brews all grain has something to do with the fact, but then again I do like having control on what im doing and adding a can of goop just didnt provide that level. I didnt add anything to my first one just for learnings sake but once I added hops and steeped grain I knew I wanted more control on these things. I could set myself up for all grain in the next few weeks if I wanted to but I want to learn a bit more about brewing and my own system and way of brewing before I take that step.

I've been brewing for nearly 2 years, and brewed maybe 6-8 kits and bits brews, and was never really happy with them - they TASTED like homebrew. I just wanted to make a beer that just tasted like a good beer.

This year I moved to BIAB and will not be going back... the jump in taste and quality was substantial. I'm still finding my sea legs with all grain but each beer is getting better! Finally I'm making beer that I can give to a friend and they will take a sip and say, 'this is nice, what is it? Oh its a HOMEBREW?? REALLY???'

Sure the brew day has gone from 1/2 an hour to around 6 hours, but a brew day is an occasion where I have a few friends around, we can drink beer and have many laughs over an afternoon all while smelling the delicious scent of boiling wort and hops... mmmmmm.

And BIAB is dead easy.

But I never would have gotten started without the iconic Coopers homebrew kit... I wonder how many commercial brewers in the ever growing Aussie craft beer industry would say the same thing? I'm thinking a lot!

The Coopers homebrew kit certainly deserves a place in the Australian beer industry hall of fame, if there is one. The industry wouldn't be the same without it.

Cheers!

All in all though, my AG beers are probably the best ones I've brewed and I enjoy the process a lot more than using cans of extract, they just seem to have a bit more flavour punch and taste fresher to me. And you have absolute control over the final product.[biggrin]

I must confess I have not notice much difference in quality between the AG brews and the Partial Mash brews I have done. As stated you do lose a little bit of control when substituting LME and DME for some of the grainbill but I have never seen it as a problem. It is possible to make some awesome brews with extracts alone even. One difference I observed was that the extract brews darkened noticeably with age but still most enjoyable.

Having defended extract brewing I still must say I will not go back from AG. There is just so much added satisfaction of having done it all yourself not taking a shortcut with DME or LME.

Thanks Yob for sharing your brewing process with us. I think you should try BIAB. Looks like you have the bag. Do at least one BIAB no sparge in the Keggle and I think there is a danger you might turn of the pump and HEX for good.

I think for anyone wanting to try AG brewing then give BIAB a go first before leaping to a full 3 vessel system. I made my first bags from 20+ Yr old laundry curtains (voile) and they have done about 20 brews and still as good as when I made them.

Compliments of the season to one and all.

As always I find myself doing the things that I do not wish to do and said I would not do [pinched] . Casually searched around the internet yesterday looking at none other than the Brau Miester 20l system. Told the family at breakfast this morning that we were going to get one for Xmas next year.

As for BIAB, John, I'd be interested in doing a partial just to see what it comes out like. Should be able to handle around 8 litres in my big pot. I feel another search coming on.

I still have to buy a Coopers IPA to do the Moteuka Slam that's a given and I've got a can of Canadian Blonde and some Clover honey for a honey blonde[biggrin]

Need to tell myself to slowdown [innocent] [whistling

Thanks Yob for sharing your brewing process with us. I think you should try BIAB. Looks like you have the bag. Do at least one BIAB no sparge in the Keggle and I think there is a danger you might turn of the pump and HEX for good.

[lol] [lol] Its too late for me.... go... save yourself.. [lol] [lol]

Ive spent the last year or so refining my gear and equipment and to be honest, I know it can be done simpler but that aint the way I roll.. Maybe I will build myself a BM type setup in the future but for now, Im so used to my process I cant see it any other way [ninja]

As said elsewhere, there is little if no diference in result, only process but for me, and I suspect you also, it is so simple as to be organic [bandit]

We all, at the end of the day strive to achieve the same goal, and if you get there by scooter, GSXR, YZF1000, or postie bike... really dont matter.. it matters you got there.

big [love] and happy silly season.

also, sorry for posting again today... couldnt help it but felt it couldnt possibly need modding [roll].

Jesse

I must confess I have not notice much difference in quality between the AG brews and the Partial Mash brews I have done.

Yeah, I never actually did any partials, I just went straight from extract to BIAB AG. [lol] But I can see where you're coming from though, because half the fermentables come from grains.

[lol] Its too late for me.... go... save yourself.. [lol] [lol]

big [love] and happy silly season.

also, sorry for posting again today... couldnt help it but felt it couldnt possibly need modding [roll].

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to the Forum[bandit] . Lots of good folks here. Watch out for that Yob guy though![lol]

I've been brewing for nearly 10 years. Coopers home brew kit would have to be the best fathers day gift ever.[cool] [biggrin]

I'm still sticking to kit/kilo 'cause i'm lazy and happy enough with the results[happy]

Drinking Honey Blonde at the moment - Canadian Blonde with 500gms LDM, 400gms Woolies select Honey. It's a bit sickly sweet though.[pinched]

On and off for 10 years.

Did about 50 K&Ks back in the day, then had a break.

Started again in 2011 which is when I joined this forum. The boil is underway for #70 since '11, so my total would be around 120.

Love it. Loved it when it was K&K, love it more now that it's AG[love]

It took me all of 6 months after joining this forum to move from K&K to kits & bits, to partials and then to AG, in fact I reckon I only did about 3 partials [lol].

EDIT: I've been trying to post on this thread for a while, but my modem keeps s**ting itself, possibly due to the fact that I live in Adelaide: home of the not so nice summers, and my house: home of the no insulation. [crying]

Only brewing for about three months. Only done a dozen brews. Have moved on to partials but will still do kits and bit when I'm feeling lazy or have to push out larger volumes for festive occasions. Would love to get into AG but a lack of equipment (decent sized boiler and gas burner) makes it difficult, along with no money.

I know how you feel regarding the no money situation. So effin glad I was able to quit that job and get back to a decent job/income. And now I'm reaping the benefits of AG.

I have one question about AG though. The two brews I've done so far, both have this kind of 'yeasty' taste, well at least that's what it seems like to me. I've added gelatin to them at bottling time, which I haven't done before (and never had this taste before), so I am unsure if it's the gelatin or just the fact they're AG. My next one I'm gonna bottle without the gelatin and see if it makes any difference. If it makes no difference then I'll continue adding gelatin to future brews because they pour crystal clear after a few days in the fridge. Any thoughts? [unsure]

I have one question about AG though. The two brews I've done so far' date=' both have this kind of 'yeasty' taste, well at least that's what it seems like to me...[/quote']

In an attempt to at least cross off one possibility for Ottoman's excessive yeast taste in his AG beers, I have the following nooby question...

If you OVER-pitch on your yeast quantity for primary ferment, does a certain amount of that remain behind that can somehow influx into the secondary ferment stage of your brew?

P.S. If this yeast based question is not a viable answer, then I suggest the taste you are experiencing is probably what is described as a "Bread-like" flavour that can be attributed to certain grain types.

Anthony.

I'm not really sure. I only used one 11.5g pack of yeast in each brew so I doubt it was an over pitch. It doesn't really taste like bready flavours to me, but yeah. I haven't really used any other grains that are different from what I used to add to my extract brews, the only thing that's different is the base malt coming from grain rather than extract, maybe that's something to do with it, I'm not sure.

I have one question about AG though. The two brews I've done so far, both have this kind of 'yeasty' taste, well at least that's what it seems like to me. I've added gelatin to them at bottling time, which I haven't done before (and never had this taste before), so I am unsure if it's the gelatin or just the fact they're AG. My next one I'm gonna bottle without the gelatin and see if it makes any difference. If it makes no difference then I'll continue adding gelatin to future brews because they pour crystal clear after a few days in the fridge. Any thoughts? [unsure]

I cant really comment here mate, Ive never used the stuff but it is my understanding that gelatine drops most of the yeast out so Im surprised that you got a yeasty taste while the beers pour clear

[unsure]

I usually attribute a yeasty flavour with cloudy beers.

Sorry I cant be of more help to you on that one. split a batch and add gelatin to half and not the other and see if there is a difference maybe?

Yob

Yeah it seems a bit weird to me in that regard too. Although I have to say that the clearer they are the less of that yeasty taste there is. The first batch was really cloudy when I bottled it, even though I left it for 2 weeks or so. I didn't have a whirlfloc or anything when I originally mixed it up. The second batch I did have one, and it was considerably clearer on bottling day and didn't seem to have as much of that yeasty taste when I tried one yesterday. Maybe they just need time.

I think I'll try that suggestion of splitting the batch half and half next time I ferment one and see how that goes.

Thanks Yob [joyful]

If you OVER-pitch on your yeast quantity for primary ferment, does a certain amount of that remain behind that can somehow influx into the secondary ferment stage of your brew?

P.S. If this yeast based question is not a viable answer, then I suggest the taste you are experiencing is probably what is described as a "Bread-like" flavour that can be attributed to certain grain types.

Anthony.

The quantity of yeast pitched should not result in more yeast staying in suspension in the finished product and hence producing a yeasty taste to the brew.

We would really need to know more details as to what type of yeast was used as the type rather than the quantity are more likely the culprit. That is of course if the flavour is in fact a yeast flavor.

I suggest you consider some of the following as possible causes; the quality and freshness of the malt, bacterial contamination, yeast strain; rapid temperature changes to the fermenting wort ; wild yeasts; wort not correctly oxygenated before yeast-pitching.

You know, come to think of it, I noticed the same type of flavour in LCPA.

Anyway, I daresay there was nothing wrong with the malt, and unlikely any contamination from bacteria or wild yeasts. There weren't any crazy temp changes to the fermenting wort or the bottled beer. There shouldn't be any problem with oxygenating it as I pour it straight into the FV from my cubes. Also, the yeast used was US-05 on the first batch and S-04 on the second batch.

Archived