Coopers Community

How many Years, How many Brews

Thought this might be interesting,

Ive been brewing 3 (ish) years

I brewed roughly 40-50 Kits ranging from out and out Kits and Kilo [sick] , Kits and Bits [biggrin] to partials [w00t] before moving onto All Grain Brewing [love].

Im now up over 40 of them as well and do you know.. I think Im just starting to get it now [lol]

Yob

Thought this might be interesting,

Ive been brewing 3 (ish) years

I brewed roughly 40-50 Kits ranging from out and out Kits and Kilo [sick] , Kits and Bits [biggrin] to partials [w00t] before moving onto All Grain Brewing [love].

Im now up over 40 of them as well and do you know.. I think Im just starting to get it now [lol]

Yob

well your miles ahead of me like most of you all on here. I myself am a self confessed mega-swiller.......dont intend moving off the os series cans......have been brewing the real ale with homebrand sugar....ant temperature for 8 years with my old opal mining mate....weyve done a double batch every week for 8 years...til last 12 months....tasted like shite but we were happy and pissed. lol

im loving this site and enjoying the time i have to play round and get a lil more serious about making a better brew......but oh my im enjoying watching you guys doing your brews...just wish i was younger so i could get into it more also...cheers, this is a great site...i love it. cheers Nedg

and i consider myself an absolute beginner...guess im a "kit kid" lol

I've been brewing for around 2.5 years and I have no idea how many brews I have done. Not because I have done so many, I just haven't counted or kept records of them all.

I only have the one FV so I brew every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes I will do it more regularly where I bottle after 2 weeks and then put another brew down. I'm pretty time poor during the week and sometimes life will inconveniently get in the way on weekends.

I've gone from Kits to extracts to partials and have recently done my cherry popping AG. There is no going back now; I will be finishing my AG setup after Chrstmas.

Just a beginner here

Started out mixing kits 16 months ago, had seen the Coopers kits in the supermarket plenty of times but never gave it a thought. Prior I thought the best beer going around was Boags Premium Lager or Cascade Pale Ale (which is actually a Lager).

I digress (again [annoyed] )

41 Brews

Four Kit & Kilo Brews

Thirty three Kits & Bits Brews

Four Extracts and Bits Brews

I've gone from Kits to extracts to partials and have recently done my cherry popping AG. There is no going back now; I will be finishing my AG setup after Chrstmas.

Cant wait to see it! What system did you go for?

It will be nothing like your setup. It might be a bit embarrassing to show it now. A bit like getting into a communal shower at the end of footy just after the 'big' guy has stepped in [biggrin]

(that was a just a simile Yob, don't think I am referring to you as a 'big' guy [innocent] ).

I've got a 44 litre Coleman esky and just need to work out the manifold/false bottom. I was thinking of splurging and getting the rectangular esky false bottom from Beer Belly.

Also going electric. 50 litre kettle with an over the side element for single batches. It gives me the option to change to gas (or use both) in the future. And no-chilling too.

How many brews? I don't actually know, I lost count a long time back. Admittedly, most of those were/are kit & kilo type brews, & I have only recently returned to home brewing after an absence of about 4-5 years.

I prefer to state how many brews I've done this time in. That being 19. 19 brews where I have taken much larger steps of advancement than I ever did for the bulk of my home brewing time over the years.

I have the advancement of homebrewing knowledge, ingredient availability, the Internet, & primarily this forum & ALL its members (past & present) to thank for that. [happy]

Anthony.

It will be nothing like your setup. It might be a bit embarrassing to show it now. A bit like getting into a communal shower at the end of footy just after the 'big' guy has stepped in [biggrin]

(that was a just a simile Yob, don't think I am referring to you as a 'big' guy [innocent] ).

I've got a 44 litre Coleman esky and just need to work out the manifold/false bottom. I was thinking of splurging and getting the rectangular esky false bottom from Beer Belly.

Also going electric. 50 litre kettle with an over the side element for single batches. It gives me the option to change to gas (or use both) in the future. And no-chilling too.

I would just like to clarify that my example referred showering after playing footy. I'm not in the habit of communal showering after watching a game of footy. Well, not often anyway [biggrin]

Hairy

I don't believe I will ever go to AG. I remember all to well when I told my mate at work I will never get into kegging.

I have done 18 batches in 12 months it will be my Home brewing anniversary on xmas day to be honest. I started with a couple of kits and brew enhancers maybe one or 2 kit and kilo jobies then went to kits and bits done 1 partial as I only bought a small amount of grain when I was in ballarat so far and will be moving to all grain some time in the new year. My brewing skills gained went in leaps and bounds and I am still learning in my free time all I do is either research beer and home brewing or do study on motor mechanics just for the rare job or 2 I am not 100% on lol but most of my free time goes into brewing related activities. I must admit this is the best hobby I have ever had I am advancing more and more. Thanks to the guys on this forum and former members. Such as Yob, Billk, Muddy waters, Graham and Hairy I have been able to produce some really high quality brews. Not only that I can wash yeast make starters and make my yeasties as healthy as possible (Thanks Yob) ha ha anyhow been a great experience Cheers 17 guys.

Got my first FV in July for my birthday (GF regrets occasionally) since then I have bottled 11 brews and currently have 2 more down.

Chef by trade I love that I can fiddle with my beer. Only did 2 Kit and Kilo at the start and since have been Kits and Bits. No immediate plans to extend as far as AG but will prob start doing a little more extraact stuff in the New Year

Love this hobby

i got my FV in september and bought another one in october. i have now made about 20 brewss and have had a go at lots of different styles. the first 9 or 10 were straight K and K, but the rest have had grain and hop additions. Cant pick my favourite, but its between the Coops APA or Amber Ale. i just picked up a 2nd hand FV for nix and will probably just use it for stout as i have no temp control for it and i need a brew that can take high 20's. i dont drink stout lot in summer, but its always good to stockpile for winter. Any other brews that will tolorate those temps? Another STC1000 and brew fridge is out of the question. Keep suggestions simple if you have any, standard K and K, but will use any suggested yeasties. Cheers, Nick

I have been brewing for 4 months. I've just put down brew number 7 the other day.

I brew all extract and only did a few kit brews. This isn't because they were bad I just felt it was too easy and wanted more if a challenge. I'm falling in love with hops and love pale ales and ipa's. I have 2 proper fermentors and 2 Jerry cans I use. Looking at going into all grain eventually just reading as much as I possibly can about brewing

i got my FV in september and bought another one in october. i have now made about 20 brewss and have had a go at lots of different styles. the first 9 or 10 were straight K and K' date=' but the rest have had grain and hop additions. Cant pick my favourite, but its between the Coops APA or Amber Ale. i just picked up a 2nd hand FV for nix and will probably just use it for stout as i have no temp control for it and i need a brew that can take high 20's. i dont drink stout lot in summer, but its always good to stockpile for winter. Any other brews that will tolorate those temps? Another STC1000 and brew fridge is out of the question. Keep suggestions simple if you have any, standard K and K, but will use any suggested yeasties. Cheers, Nick[/quote']

Try brewing a Saison. Fermentis have released a dry Saison yeast but I am not sure if it is available in Australa yet. Otherwise you will have to use liquid yeast.

It is perfect for the warm/hot temps.

My first HB was probably 10 years ago. I'm sure it was shite but I am also sure I loved every last drop of it. These years I was following the instruction on the can[pouty].

Two years ago I thought I might give HB a try again. I started with a few Toucans recipes and shortly after tuned into this here forum and all of a sudden the world of HB opened wide and there was nothing that would stop me from making the "Best beer on Earth".

I have made 76 recorded batches of beer in the last 2 years. Some have been good and of course some have been pure shite. All in all brewing has been an on going challege and enjoyment for a Lumberjack of the North.[cool]

I have been brewing for 18 months now and currently have brew #40 in the FV. Nearly all my brews these days are kits and bits and I think this is how it will stay for the foreseeable future.

I am getting results that I am satisfied with in the amount of time I have available to brew. I understand that AG is like the holy grail of brewing methods but with the addition of some steeped grains and hopping I can get some pretty reasonable beers. Better than drinking megaswill or paying through the nose for decent beer at the bottle-o.

Try brewing a Saison. Fermentis have released a dry Saison yeast but I am not sure if it is available in Australa yet. Otherwise you will have to use liquid yeast.

It is perfect for the warm/hot temps.

I just ducked into big dub and grabbed an os stout and BE2. i can keep the temp at or just under 27 deg with wet towels as i have in the past before the STC1000 era.

i am interested in the saison, never heard of it, so thanks for the heads up Hairy, i will research it further, (you like that Yob?[cool])any other suggestions?[joyful]

I have been brewing for 18 months now and currently have brew #40 in the FV. Nearly all my brews these days are kits and bits and I think this is how it will stay for the foreseeable future.

i am with you Wal, i am over the moon with what i have been making with kits and bits as i said in my "cheers" thread.

it was fascinating to watch Yobs pictorial unfold, but jeez, what a huge amount of time and effort. i have never been shy of putting in the hard yards to achieve anything in life, but the results would have to be pretty spectacular to justify spending so much time for just a couple of cartons of beer. as i said K & K & bits satisfies me ATM

Sometimes i wonder if we do things just to see if we can. i do that a lot as i enjoy the challenge and hopefully the thrill of success, but if Mr Cooper has done the work already, i doubt i could do any better. besides, i recently lost my first brew to infection and was well pissed off, imagine how it would feel if Yobs work went in vain because of the same reason.

I have been brewing (mixing[bandit] [biggrin] ) for 2 years after SWMBO & kids gave me a kit for my 50th.

I have stuck to kits & bits, mainly because I am a bit space poor.

Having said that, in that time I have graduated to a temp controlled fridge, hop additions, grains, better yeasts & bulk priming and am now embarking on bottling into stubbies. Have just acquired another 3 dozen stubbies which brings the total to about 90 PETS & about 160 stubbies....glad I'm space poor or this could get out of control.[crying]

Having said that, in that time I have graduated to a temp controlled fridge, hop additions, grains, better yeasts & bulk priming and am now embarking on bottling into stubbies. Have just acquired another 3 dozen stubbies which brings the total to about 90 PETS & about 160 stubbies....glad I'm space poor or this could get out of control.[crying]

Hey Greg, it took me a while to use temp control and additions, but i have been bottling into stubbies since brew #2. it is more time consuming on bottling day, but there is nothing better than drinking out of a stubby, the beer stays colder and if i want to pour into a glass i can. also if i only want 1 beer, i dont need to drink 2 because i only have tallies or pets.

i just took 4 cartons of APA away camping for a week, much easier than pouring into a glass around the camp or on the boat.

I'm hearing Time Poor (reading between the lines).

This is the main reason I am migrating to kegs (for about 90% of my brews anyway).

I'm also hearing space poor.

With around 500 bottles on shelves, in boxes and in fridges (some full some empty) I'm understanding this also. Once again my justification for kegs.

I put down my latest extract brew yesterday, Southern Cross Pale Ale, and decided on a 21 litre batch (would've been 20l but I want to make sure I get a keg full). From my last 21 litre batch I got 19l kegged, and 1 750ml and 1 375ml bottles.

I will do kits again, in particular PB2's Motueka IPA, but most often from here on in it will be extracts made to 21 litres. As for time really it is only about 25 minutes longer in the boil. But the bottling time.... well there's no comparison really.

I do agree with Nick, Yob is a very patient man, and this should hold him in good stead when the little Yob arrives [biggrin]

it was fascinating to watch Yobs pictorial unfold' date=' but jeez, what a huge amount of time and effort. i have never been shy of putting in the hard yards to achieve anything in life, but the results would have to be pretty spectacular[/quote']

and the results are mate [ninja]

Its doesnt actually take a whole lot more time than a partial, sure though there are a few extra processes but a part of the attraction is I can make any beer I want from scratch.. start with a few grains and BAM!! Ive got wort, add some yeast and now it's beer [lol]

There is a satisfaction I get from those processes that I never did from brewing from Kits, it's not to say that I didnt make some sensational beers based on kits bit with all the extra faffing about the time was on par with how long I spend on an AG brew.

Finally, Ive got the space!! With a setup like mine you really do need another area, SWMBO, while claiming to be a brew widow loves the fact that Im not in the Kitchen anymore... and hells bells.. I do too [lol]

For the space challenged there are other AG techniques like BIAB.. never tried that myself, went right to 3V and wouldnt have it any other way [roll]

At the end of the day it's not important how you make it, its important that you make it.. getting fancy aint for every one.

Cheers, and Merry Xmas, Brew Well

Yob

Archived