Coopers Community

A Whacker

Scottie

Yes that's right, for the first time in 16 months I gave the side of my DIY FV a whack.

I was regretting my decision to go commando style with 50 grams of hop pellets when dry hopping my Celebration Ale. When I pulled a sample this morning, 18 days is FV, I was wondering what I would do about all the hop debris floating on top of the brew, clinging to all sides of the FV and just hanging around is suspension.

Then I decided to do as PB2 and others have suggested and give it a whack with the handle of my mixing spoon. Well a couple of whacks actually [innocent] .

What an unbelievable result, the brew looks so clear you'd doubt that it ever had 50g of hop floating around in it. But one look at the trub confirms that it wasn't a dream and those hops were in there alright [cool]

Interesting - I've read about people giving it a whack too but I've never had any reason to.

So, will whacking it always help clear the beer? If so, would it be worth giving virtually any brew a whack prior to bottling? If so, is there a certain amount of time you need to give between whacking and bottling? If so, does whacking it harder or softer have any effect?

My first celebration ale had a thick layer of hops and stuff on top, I just bottled it anyway and stopped when I couldn't tip the FV over any further without sucking up the trub or the stuff on top, I hade a bit of extra settlement in the bottle but no big dramas.

I've done one other brew dry-hopping, it got an extra week on the bench after th FG was stable plus another week with the FV in the fridge, all the hops settled out nicely and left me with a crystal clear beer, I can't wait for it to finish secondary in the bottle. [biggrin]

Interesting - I've read about people giving it a whack too but I've never had any reason to.

So, will whacking it always help clear the beer? If so, would it be worth giving virtually any brew a whack prior to bottling? If so, is there a certain amount of time you need to give between whacking and bottling? If so, does whacking it harder or softer have any effect?

I think Ruddager may need some "Alone Time". [lol]

Anthony.

I dry hop commando style myself my last brew had 60 grams of a mix of hops dryhopped so there was a tonne of hop debris. For the few days leading up to bottling I whack the fermenter twice a day and then an hour prior to bottling I get a little bit of hop debris in my beer but it settles out with the yeast usually. Anyhow having hop chunks in your belly isn't a bad thing I have recently learnt that hops are not just anti bacterial they also have anti viral properties so won;t be any harm to your body if anything does you good. [rightful]

To whack or not to whack, that is the question. I doubt Hamlet has an answer to that one! (Though I suspect he was well versed in the procedure! [tongue] )

If in fact I was the whacking type, which I will add that I am not, I would do it within the first week of primary fermentation only. If the hop debris happens to cling to the wall of the FV after that point, I say "Great, that's less debris that can end up in my bottle".

Commonsense really.

Anthony.

... If the hop debris happens to cling to the wall of the FV after that point, I say "Great, that's less debris that can end up in my bottle".

Commonsense really.

Anthony.

Excepting that 50g of hop pitched commando style doesn't cling to the side of the FV [devil]

Try it, you'll see [rightful]

Hiya Scottie. [happy]

Excepting that 50g of hop pitched commando style doesn't cling to the side of the FV

Try it, you'll see

I work on the 1gm per litre dry hop method as a base. Say 25gms per 23L brew. I'm quite happy to up that to about 40gms, but I never commando-style that addition. I'm quite happy to pay a bit extra to use a "Finishing hop" addition contained in a muslin bag for dry hopping. No floating hop debris.

That said, I'm quite happy to commando-style dry hop quantities of 15gms or less as I have in a brew right now along-side another hop contained within a muslin bag. NO slapping involved. Just leave it the heck alone. [rightful]

Before you knock the added cost, compare it to buying the stainless steel containers & the cost of constantly having to sanitise them everytime you use them in a brew.

Muslin bag finishing hops... easy, sanitary, almost no debris, easily disposable.

They get my vote. [joyful]

Anthony.

I swear some of you guys would make equally good gardeners as you do brewers with all the spraying you do! [tongue]

I watched a video online the other day, & the guy demonstrating sprayed that much Starsan (or w/e he was using) over everything it was ridiculous. At the time I was thinking, man you must be able to taste that @#$% in your beer coz you are covering that much of your brewing equipment with that @#$%!!

I'm all for good sanitation. Some of what I have seen in some videos borders on the ridiculous though. [roll]

Anthony.

Personally I rather my hops be floating around my beer while its in the fermenter when I get the chance with whole flowers the debris won't be so much of an issue. I found when the bottler does get clogged while filling a bottle I just jiggle it with the bottle after ageing your beers for 1.5 to 2 months the hop debris settle with the yeast anyhow. If you get a couple of crumbs of hops in your glass its no big deal. Each to their own as they say.

I swear some of you guys would make equally good gardeners as you do brewers with all the spraying you do! [tongue]

I watched a video online the other day, & the guy demonstrating sprayed that much Starsan (or w/e he was using) over everything it was ridiculous. At the time I was thinking, man you must be able to taste that @#$% in your beer coz you are covering that much of your brewing equipment with that @#$%!!

I'm all for good sanitation. Some of what I have seen in some videos borders on the ridiculous though. [roll]

Anthony.

Don't fear the foam as they say the starsan turns into a yeast nutrient anyhow. If there is excess in the bottom just tip it out but I have seen celebrity craft brewers like Michael Dawson from Brewing TV put wort into his carboy that was half full of starsan foam.

Archived