Coopers Community

Temperature Control

trabfountain

Hi, I'm new to brewing i.e quality brewing. I say that because over the years I have brewed Cider, Ginger Beer, Stout all with reasonable success but I want to branch out into more serious brewing. One of my main problems has been temperature control and I'm thinking of buying a Tempmate and fitting this to a fridge. I would appreciate some advice as to whether this is the best way to go and how difficult it is.

G'day Trabfountain, welcome to the forum.

As I'm sure many of the others here will agree, the best/easiest form of temperature control is by way of using a fridge. I personally use temperature controllers from Keg King and just attach the probe to the FV, plug the fridge in and set the temp and all is good. All pretty easy really.

Some people use other forms of temperature control that involve placing the FV in containers of water etc. It really depends on what you have available to use.

If you need more information just ask, there is a lot of knowledge amongst the people on here. Good luck with the brewing.

Hi guys,

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and was pointed in the direction of a STC 1000 by Billk. I purchased one on eBay delivered from China for $23.59. it took 3 weeks to arrive and I will set it up on the weekend.

You will also find a recent thread called STC1000 check it out.

The Tempmate is great but like Sticky said you can get an STC1000 a lot cheaper. I've got both and they are great!

They do need to be wired up and can kill you if done wrong so get a pro to wire it or check it for you if you aren't sure.

But I reckon go for it. A temp controlled fridge is one of the best things you can do for your beer....it'll love you for it [love]

I wish I had one after the past few days.

I put my English 'Pale' Ale in the FV on Saturday and I haven't been able to get the damn thing below about 23/24 the whole time, using my wet towel in a saucer method, although the outside temps have been mid 30s so a reduction of 10C isn't a bad effort.. but I would have preferred it nearer 18-20. Hopefully it still turns out reasonable. Maybe I can convince the olds to move their bloody wine stash out of the spare fridge so I can turn it into a brewfridge. [annoyed]

dont feck about with it... get 3 of them (STC 1000's) [rightful]

I think of it like this, any important piece of brewing equipment, and these are about the most important... have a spare just in case and one extra for when you get that second fridge... it will happen, even if you have to find the right house to put it all in [lol]

In all seriousness, get 3

Yob

Otto man... how much cheaper do you need it to obtain a brewing fridge up there in QLD?

How about nothing?

Gumtree QLD Ad I read today

They are everywhere, every week cheap. You just have to look.

You're doing all the hard yards All Graining Otto. Reap the rewards of that hard work, by improving your beer with true temp control. [cool]

Anthony.

When I first started brewing I was very unaware of the effects of temperature control and used to keep my FVs in the dinning room where the temperature would fluctuate greatly, especially during summer[annoyed] . After bottling I was keeping the bottles in the garage, again, some large temperature changes were common.

These days however, following lots of reading and listening to others I have come to appreciate the benifits of good temperature control. I run 3 fridges with temp controllers for fermenting and storing bottles until carbonated. The difference this makes to the finished product is unbelievable - even though I am just a kit brewer I do appreciate a good beer!!! [cool] [biggrin]

In the cooler months I have perfect temp control I stick my heat pad to the side of my fermenter a 5w $9 jobbie from ebay reptile heat mat and my fermenter sits perfectly around 18 - 19 degree's Summer when and if it arrives is another issue wet towels etc seem to work great and a few 1.25L bottles of frozen water works a treat. never going over 20 degree's just have to swap the frozen water bottles over twice a day.

Yeah it's a bit easier in the cooler months. That's why I'm thinking I might be able to convince the olds to move their wine for a couple of weeks every now and then through summer because for one thing I'm not brewing as much as I used to be and I don't really need a fridge in winter so I'd probably only use it 3 or 4 times a year anyway. Of course, if I had my own fridge it would be used all year round [bandit]

Doesnt Coopers have the Hop Gobbler or something now days?

Stay away from the 'Brew Enhancers" and use 1kg DME, 500g WME, 250g Dex and 15g Hops of Choice boiled for 15 mins + 20g Hops of choice at half way through ferment + 25g Hops of choice when there are a few gravity points left to go.

Ferment with 1056 / US-05 @ 18'c and raise temps slowly after the first 4 days (05'c per day until you get to 20'c)

Once at FG, Condition 4-7 days and then Cold Condition for 1 week.

Bottle, age 2 months and then blow the fick out of your taste buds [lol]

Yob

(Not that I have brewed the Hop Gobbler but thats what I would do to it if I did)

Also.. when looking for a brewfridge, find one that is all fridge with no freezer compartment.

I can't wait for a brew fridge and a keezer bigger house and that will be sorted.

It's funny that pretty much everyone on here always says something like this [lol]

I have changed the type of house I'm looking to buy too - it has to have a garage, or at least somewhere that the brewing can take place! No. 1 on the wishlist now [lol]

my mate put a saison down on the weekend' date=' thinking he won't have to use too much power to keep it higher temps. Bloody melbourne weather - it's 18 max today![/quote']

[lol] Adam

Last week it was 37'C in the Valley of Love, yesterday it was 9.6'C at about 4pm, after a maximum of 14'C, today it hit 16. Friday's forecast is 29'C and 30 again on Saturday. Tassie all the seasons in one week.

my mate put a saison down on the weekend' date=' thinking he won't have to use too much power to keep it higher temps. Bloody melbourne weather - it's 18 max today![/quote']

[lol] Adam

Last week it was 37'C in the Valley of Love, yesterday it was 9.6'C at about 4pm, after a maximum of 14'C, today it hit 16. Friday's forecast is 29'C and 30 again on Saturday. Tassie all the seasons in one week.

i remember a stinker of a friday in melbourne when it hit 41'c by lunchtime. me an my mates decided to head up to echuca for the weekend to cool off drinking and fishing on the murray. at 4ish a southerly blew in and by 6pm it was down to 17'c in melb. the problem was, the change never made it across the range and it was still 30 odd degrees at midnight in echuca....i moved to qld to escape the heat the next year.

Archived