Coopers Community

Freezing Yeast

What? Starting a thread [biggrin]

What is the best method for freezing yeast for long term storage?

Send it to Canberra in winter [innocent]

Sorry, I have no idea. You may need to ask Yob that one. Wait a minute .....

For anyone interested there is THIS experiment from BribieG on AHB

and

THIS from Wolfy, same site.

Im just about to start freezing yeast myself, just as a side hobby like.. seems like fun to me and have been interested in it for some time.

Happy to hear from anyone with further methods or insights.

Cheers

Or just the normal freezer?

Just the freezer mate, it can be done with the right process, as I say, it's just a side hobby, but it'd br great to have a collection of each generation of a specific yeast, Ive been using a Yeast called Greenbelt (Thanks Wolfy) and it does an amazing job but Im running it from pitch to pitch and I think it's starting to get a little tired. If I had these storage processes down pat, I could make a starter from any generation I liked and keep it going.

At the end of the day it's all a learning curve, no matter what your level, there is always more to learn and I am still enjoying the ride after 3 years and god knows how many hours of research.

Still a long way to go too!!

[innocent] [ninja] [rightful] [roll] [lol]

Nick we must be brothers in law I used to have a water bed but my wife's side kept freezing.

I am an expert a freezing since I live in one of the coldest places on the planet and work in the fish business but I have never tried freezing yeast. I did see this though and seems to make sense to me.

http://=http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

come on guys' date=' chill out[/quote']

When I read a section of John Palmer I thought he was being racist. But now that you have posted this Yob I am keen to hear how to do it and whether it is worthwhile. I'll have to check out he links. I managed a very good yield on my 1056 last time, more than I can actually use I guess.

I managed a very good yield on my 1056 last time' date=' more than I can actually use I guess.[/quote']

You will, during the course of a ferment, make about 10 times the amount you need for a pitch, such is the buety of rinsing yeast, I will usually collect 2 jars, one I will pitch, the other I label, date and store, it's this storing process I hope to refine, currently they sit in the fridge and have a short viability span (weeks/month) where I'd like to end up is months/years.

[wink]

Awoke to a bit of a mess on the laundry benchtop this morning.

Made a Wyeast 2565 - K\xf6lsch 2L starter yesterday from rinsed yeast that is 2 months old. Blew its brains out all over the stir plate. Need a 5L Erlenmeyer or blow off tube I think.

Applaud your efforts to freeze store. Hope you have better success than me. After 6 mths in freezer the 2 strains I did were either very low viability or DOA. Could not rouse one and the other wore me out getting a pitch-able quantity. Wife complained about all the brew shite I had in the freezer so figured not worth the effort for me particularly since I try to get healthiest yeast possible.

Mind you she now moans about all the mason jars of rinsed yeast in the fridge.

[lol] Yeast mess is a fecker to clean up..

I got about the whole SWMBO thing by having yeast constantly in the fridge (as you are), when I suggested that I get my own fridge for cold conditioning/yeast/kegs she almost drove me to pick it up she was that keen to have yeast free fridge [lol]

it's all about letting them get so fed up (a fine line) with brewing bits and pieces that a brewfridge is almost suggested by them or at least quite an attractive idea to them [lol]

I got about the whole SWMBO thing by having yeast constantly in the fridge (as you are), when I suggested that I get my own fridge for cold conditioning/yeast/kegs she almost drove me to pick it up she was that keen to have yeast free fridge

it's all about letting them get so fed up (a fine line) with brewing bits and pieces that a brewfridge is almost suggested by them or at least quite an attractive idea to them

You're a lucky man Yob! Most guys around here will be just like Rick Springfield.

Edit: this post was really just a shameless excuse to add that song [whistling

[lol] Yeast mess is a fecker to clean up..

I got about the whole SWMBO thing by having yeast constantly in the fridge (as you are), when I suggested that I get my own fridge for cold conditioning/yeast/kegs she almost drove me to pick it up she was that keen to have yeast free fridge [lol]

it's all about letting them get so fed up (a fine line) with brewing bits and pieces that a brewfridge is almost suggested by them or at least quite an attractive idea to them [lol]

firstly this is an interesting post secondly my SWMBO is sick of the rinsed yeast in the fridge and has said I am allowed to get a freezer that i can convert into a keezer and a fridge for brewing once we get a bigger house..... That fine line of pissing SWMBO off is the trick [innocent]

Ha! Next thing you know she will be suggesting properties with massive sheds to get you as far away female the house is possible, win win

[lol]

[lol] Well bigger sheds will be a good idea since my automatic transmission business is slowly growing I will soon need to get a shed big enough to build the transmissions and a 2 post hoist mind you sometimes SWMBO comes out to help me from time to time when I am snowed under with work. But getting enough room for the fridge and freezer will be wise choice too. win win can't go wrong [rightful]

Archived