Coopers Community

prices

davids47

I went to a brew shop come other shop that deels with a lot of Coopers malts , i picked up a can of drought and was going to buy it until thy told me the price $18 told them to keep it

went down the road to local super market $13 have seen them as low as $11 in the big supermarkets .

What is the right price for a standard can kit i think $18 is over the top, and if so what can Coopers do to stop this rip off by some stores

Brew shops don't have the same buying power and sales volume of the big supermarket chains so they can't compete.

That's why they tend to sell the Thomas Cooper range of hopped and unhopped malt to differentiate themselves. This range is not sold to the supermarkets.

I guess it depends on the shop. I've been going to my local brew shop pretty much since I started brewing, they tend to take a few bucks off the total price of whatever I buy now. But Hairy is right. The brew shops would more than likely go out of business if they sold things as cheap as the supermarkets. That said, I think $18 is over the top for a standard can, maybe 15 or 16 would be better. But above all that - even though you might pay a little more at the brew shop, you can get a wealth of advice that you will never find in a supermarket, that makes it worth it to me.

But above all that - even though you might pay a little more at the brew shop' date=' you can get a wealth of advice that you will never find in a supermarket, that makes it worth it to me. [/quote']

This I why I go to my local brew shop. Being a very green brewer I take every bit of advice I can and my LHBS has helped me everytime.

I find home brew store prices can be a bit high and the tight arse in me finds it hard to pay more for the same product. I'm not a fan of my LHBS so loyalty doesn't win me over.

I tend to send most of my business up to Craftbrewer in Brissy or stock up on malts when Coopers has a price or postage promotion.

But above all that - even though you might pay a little more at the brew shop, you can get a wealth of advice that you will never find in a supermarket, that makes it worth it to me.

+1 Kelsey

I tend to send most of my business up to Craftbrewer in Brissy or stock up on malts when Coopers has a price or postage promotion.

I try to be loyal to THBS, they sell Coopers OS for $14 and International $16.50. However LDM (not Coopers) is only $6.50 when you buy a beer can. If I'm in the area it works out cheaper than the Big W Craft Brewer combo as the grains and hops (limited range) are priced quite well.

But when Coopers run a deal like last month loyalty to the LHBS is tested. LME is $11.50 at THBS and it is a 70 minute round trip (About $14 petrol in the SS). I bought 6 cans in October from the online shop and saved $18.65 on the Malt alone.

Apart from LDM my loyalty to the Coopers brand is yet to be tested.

I used to go to the brew shop for everything, but since I've moved into all grain, I'll get most of my bulk supplies from Craftbrewer and probably just use the local shop for smaller items that I don't use in huge amounts like dark grains, dextrose etc. Then again, I'm led to believe cracked grain doesn't keep as long as uncracked, and the local shop's stock is already cracked, so who knows. I'll figure something out[lol] . CB is only 25 mins away and I'd probably spend 2 bucks in fuel to save $20 on a sack of base malt.

Hi guys.

In my situation, I have 3 brew shops + Supermarkets within 20mins of where I live. Two of the brew shops are franchised names that are available in numerous states, "Country Brewer & Brewcraft". The 3rd brew shop I frequent is a true independent as far as I know, "Beerbelly".

Brewcraft have a members system where for every $10.00 you spend, you receive a stamp on a members purchase card, & once that card has 20 stamps, that card gives you $10.00 off your next purchase (a 5% overall discount if you like).

Country Brewer whom I only recently began buying stock from, took down my details for sales tracking purposes, but don't seem to offer any discount pricing as such. I would say their general pricing & range is better than Brewcraft's.

Beerbelly where I now buy the bulk of my stock from here in SA, have the best range & prices by far across the board. Good service & even better, more knowledgeable advice.

All this said, I will always frequent the 3 independents & make purchases from them, even if they are on the smallish side in some cases.

Independent retailers are important, & paying only a couple of dollars more in some cases is worth it to me to help make sure they stay around. [rightful]

Beer.

Hi Damien.

Even with the discounts Brewcraft are still a rip off. I avoid them like the plague.

To me your statement is relative to how you brew, & what you need to buy to brew the way you like.

In my case, the Brewcraft store is less than 10mins from where I live. Whereas the other 2 independents I frequent are 20mins away. If I really want to "penny pinch", I weigh up how much extra it costs me to buy certain items from the other 2 retailers.

Amongst other things for me, can be simply the way some items are packaged. For example, I like to dry hop & I prefer to have this portion in a muslin sachet. The retailer I visit 20mins away that has the best overall pricing, doesn't offer this. They offer only bulk hop shrink wrapped bags. I like the convenience & ease of use of the muslin bag for dry hopping.

There are other items that weigh towards one retailer & away from the others in much the same vein for me.

Horses for courses... (BTW, Good luck if you're having a bet on the Melbourne Cup guys!) [smile]

Beer.

That's why they tend to sell the Thomas Cooper range of hopped and unhopped malt to differentiate themselves. This range is not sold to the supermarkets.

As a consumer, this seems like snobbery to drive prices up.

Woolies or Tesco have as much of a righ tto sell these products as the Local homeBrew Store.

It would be more beneficial to us, chain stores and coopers to get the product available to as wide a market as possible for as cheap as possible, and if the LHBS guy can't compete, it's because he charges to much...

Woolies or Tesco have as much of a right to sell these products as the Local HomeBrew Store.

It would be more beneficial to us, chain stores and coopers to get the product available to as wide a market as possible for as cheap as possible, and if the LHBS guy can't compete, it's because he charges too much...

Ok thats fine ,so is there any difference in the kits or malt that is in the Thomas cooper, to what is in the every day supermarket coopers, quality wise

Woolies or Tesco have as much of a right to sell these products as the Local HomeBrew Store.

It would be more beneficial to us, chain stores and coopers to get the product available to as wide a market as possible for as cheap as possible, and if the LHBS guy can't compete, it's because he charges too much...

Ours are going the same way...$10 off for every $100 you spend. But everything in there is massively over priced. ie,sediment reducer is about $4...its a tiny tiny piece of plastic come on! The guys in there always look bored to death ;)

Ok thats fine ' date='so is there any difference in the kits or malt that is in the Thomas cooper, to what is in the every day supermarket coopers, quality wise[/quote']

I'm not 100% sure but I always thought they were supposed to be of a higher quality. Most have aroma hops in them too.

I had been following this thread during the day, on my phone. I can't reply using the phone, but I just wanted this said...

I took up home brewing again, because I believe the cost of commercially produced beer in this country has now reached a ridiculous level to buy as a retail product, due primarily to the taxes imposed on the product by our naive, uneducated & stupid government.

Even by using expensive home brew outlets, I have halved what I used to spend on buying beer. In most cases, add a few dollars again, & I can brew something far more flavoursome than 75% of what is available commercially. I sit comfortable with that, & penny pinching beyond that is not necessary for me, even though I live a fairly tight lifestyle.

I would like to add this...

It is long overdue that the commercial brewers of this country led a fight against the current bi-annual BullS**t C.P.I. increase to the cost of beer & related products, so that this country can enjoy a basic relaxant of life without this ridiculous added tax that has no merit, or benefit to the people of this country.

I say this, because it is cheaper to buy Coopers beer in America, than it is 1km from where it is brewed & packaged in Adelaide, South Australia.

Beer.

whenever the government has to fill a hole in the budget up goes beer, cigarettes and petrol. they have been doing it for years, knowing that we will pay. its now over $10 for 2 schooners at my local. For what? a glass of flavoured water. thats when i gave up buying it and started brewing. the sale of beer has been in decline for years because of government greed. 5 years ago they whacked up the price of smokes and said it was to discourage smoking. before long people started growing Chop Chop to save money, so they uped the fines and put a stop to that. homebrew shops are springing up and more and more people are making thier own. whats going to happen when the gov beancounters work out how much revenue they are losing?

Archived