Coopers Community

prices

davids47

Well I must mention at this time that I took up home brewing to also save money. However, this has not been the case. I have personally spent more money on beer now than I ever have.

Yes it is a slippery slope for those expending. Is it a good thing or bad?... who cares, as long as you are happy and enjoy doing it I reckon.

I think if you ask SWMBO the answer would more than certainly be that I am spending more money!![innocent] But, most of that is more to do with equipment and 'stuff'. If you are able to resist buying more 'stuff' [bandit] it is quite easy to justify that the beer is cheaper (and better) than buying it.

For me it's not so much about saving money - more about being a hobby, and if you can save money by producing something that you would be buying anyway then everyone's a winner. Like Bill said "who cares, as long as you are happy and enjoy doing it I reckon" [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

For me, brewing was something i recently got into for a number of reasons. Firstly my partner and i really enjoy a beer especially the full flavoured variety. a couple of times we have gone to Dan Murphys and bought a mixed dozen of beers that we had never heard of, just to try them. Secondly my wife of 25 years and i separated because we no longer had anything common or any shared interests and we just drifted apart, brewing is now something that my new lady and i really enjoy, right from the chosing of the next brew to the making, bottling and drinking. tomorrow we are going to try steeping grain for the first time. lastly, it is much bloody cheaper and a hell of a lot nicer. i just had a tooheys old at the local with a workmate....over $10 for 2 beers and tasted like crap! i may never reach the level of some on this forum, but i will have a lot of fun trying. its good to have a hobby which actually saves money and i wish i had started earlier.[roll]

i may never reach the level of some on this forum' date=' but i will have a lot of fun trying.[/quote']

You never know, you might! I never thought I'd be brewing beer from scratch, certainly not 10 months after I started out, but I just made my third all grain batch last Thursday. Yeah, it's BIAB rather than traditional mashing/sparging etc but as far as I'm concerned it's still from scratch. [tongue]

But yeah, it's certainly a great hobby that you can really enjoy, the making and obviously drinking something you've made yourself. I'm glad I got back into it again, and I can't see myself stopping anytime soon.[biggrin]

I started because I needed a hobby to take my mind off work. Now I've started thinking about brewing at work. [lol]

Thats too funny, but i know what you mean. i work for a company that develops paints and renders for the building industry, and me and the lab rats are considering brewing at work. what better place to brew than a clean, climate controlled lab!

[lol] I can assure you I don't drink beer at work, but I do think about recipes I could try out sometimes. [tongue]

It's a little habit us bus drivers (at least some of us) have, if nothing happens out of the ordinary then we forget about it. It's mainly to avoid letting little things get to us and turning us into stereotypical grumpy old bus drivers [whistling

i may never reach the level of some on this forum' date=' but i will have a lot of fun trying.[/quote']

the making and obviously drinking something you've made yourself.

I think you blokes have really hit the head on the nail [happy] .

It's almost like getting back to a bloke's primal istinct of hunting and gathering [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] ...except ummm...there is no hunting....and the gathering isn't very difficult...!!![pouty] [roll]

Yeah' date=' it's BIAB rather than traditional mashing/sparging etc but as far as I'm concerned it's still from scratch. [tongue']

Still AG just a different method. However, not quite from scratch imo... otherwise you would be growing and using your own hops and malting your home grown grain.

Someone at AHB, I forget who but can remember a post about 12 months ago, grows and malts his own grain. Very interesting read.

the making and obviously drinking something you've made yourself.

I think you blokes have really hit the head on the nail [happy] .

It's almost like getting back to a bloke's primal istinct of hunting and gathering [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] ...except ummm...there is no hunting....and the gathering isn't very difficult...!!![pouty] [roll]

Hit the nail on the head even [rightful] [biggrin]

Hit the nail on the head even [rightful] [biggrin]

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to confuse my Tasmanian friends[bandit] [biggrin], we need a tounge in cheek smilie thingo for us Queenslanders[cool] . It's a bit like the old "kill two stones with one bird" thing...........four kids down the track, that is what SWMBO is aiming to do anyway!!! [devil]

Archived