Coopers Community

flip top stubs and tallies

Nick

i dont have anything ready to drink for next 3 weeks, so its off to the bottlo. apart from corona, what other beers come in flip tops not twisters? if i am gonna suffer, at least i can add to my bottle bank.

not saying its advisable but I use an assortment of coopers twist top stubbies various other brand/cider twist top stubbies flip top bottles and long necks and never have an issue

A few blokes reckon they seal ok with a bench top capper, but a few say no way. i've never been game to risk a batch of flat beer?

I also bottle primarily in coopers twist top bottles. I've never had any problems with them. I bought a new capper a few months back, & it caps so well, I can't even twist them off!

As I bottle, I always roll the bottle (I just capped) a couple of times to check for any leaks.

Should the day come where I started to see a leak or two as I'm capping, I'd look to replace the grommet inside the capper head, as it has most likely become worn.

Each to their own though.

Beer.

not saying its advisable but I use an assortment of coopers twist top stubbies various other brand/cider twist top stubbies flip top bottles and long necks and never have an issue

A few blokes reckon they seal ok with a bench top capper, but a few say no way. i've never been game to risk a batch of flat beer?

I can assure you they seal fine in fact they seal that good with a bench capper you need a bottle opener to open them I have done 10 batches and never had a single flat beer universal crown seals are what i use and never a problem NEVER it is up to you and if you have a good bench capper you will not have any issues

No worries a heap of mine say do not reuse but never had an issue with bottlebombs all sealed fine I was worried when i first started using the screw tops but after 2 batches went perfectly i got the confidence and 10 batches later still working perfect I even used the coopers crown seals and they have worked just as good but you can twist them open but with the universal crown seals they are impossible to unscrew i stick with the universal ones and no issues [biggrin]

I have a bunch of XXXX twist top stubbies and they seal fine with my bottle capper. It's actually a bit that goes in the chuck on the drill press, so it's basically a big version of a bench capper. But my favourite ones are the James Squire stubbies, and they're a nice beer too so I didn't have to suffer to acquire them! [biggrin]

Might be a 1980s problem?

in the 80's when they bought out twist tops, you couldn't get the bloody things off! we all had stubby top spanners dangling off our key rings. you could tell the blokes who didnt have one, because the bottoms of their shirts would be tatty from gripping the twist top.

in the 80's when they bought out twist tops' date=' you couldn't get the bloody things off! we all had stubby top spanners dangling off our key rings. you could tell the blokes who didnt have one, because the bottoms of their shirts would be tatty from gripping the twist top.[/quote']

I guess I'm old then, because I still have a bottle opener on my keyring! [crying]

There were also those guys that didn't have a bottle opener or the tatty shirt, who had permanent ingrained calluses on the insides of their thumb & index finger from constant bloody battles with the twist top bottle. [lol]

It's ok lads, after a few years they do grow out! [biggrin]

Beer.

...in the 80's when they bought out twist tops' date=' you couldn't get the bloody things off! we all had stubby top spanners dangling off our key rings.... [/quote']

I know blokes who use these in reverse. They just screw the original caps back on. Another bloke screws the original caps back on by hand, he makes ginger beer from scratch and has had a few bottle bombs but never an issue with a bad sealing top.

Therefore using a capper on twist top bottles is fool proof, just make sure its a bench capper and not one of the types that leverage off the bottle neck, they can pull the neck off the bottle.

I do however prefer the prise off tops, and have 4 dozen Coopers long necks. These are my preference for tallies but I like the versatility of stubbies my preference here is Malt Shovel, Little Creatures & Matilda Bay. Too bad none of them are 375ml. I alos have a load of 500ml, Crabbies GB and Rekorderlig cider (that were donated).

Please don't risk your own safety [rightful]

+1 to that.. there was a recent thread on AHB where a bloke copped an exploding bottle to the face and almost lost an eye

a timely reminder for safety first.

Personal collection = About 300 750ml Longnecks, 3/4 of them Coopers, 1/4 assorted twist tops (regularly inspected).

60-80 Grolsch Swingtops

40 or so 500ml assorted bottles.

Somebody is going to be very happy indeed when I move to kegs in the near future [lol]

In the 80s they had those plastic coated Styrofoam stubbie coolers with the bottle cap spanners built into the base. I knew a guy who could take a top off with his eye socket. Harder than me to with my soft hands. [surprised

[pinched] [annoyed]

Coopers Brewery recommends THIS

Please don't risk your own safety [rightful]

As i stated it isn't advisable but I haven't had any issues but always when bottling beer even into sturdy bottles there is that risk of bottle bombs from an infection or too much sugar for secondary fermentation or primary fermentation hasn't finished etc etc.

I find their stubbies pretty sturdy personally if you drop an empty one they often bounce instead of shattering like the thin walled tooheys clear bottles but you do sometimes break one always be careful put your beers into a dark cupboard and just leave them there for a few weeks I do that as a safety measure and easier to clean up too if the misfortune happens

Archived