Coopers Community

flip top stubs and tallies

Nick

They will all bounce' date=' but only once. It's something to do with the lacquer coating they have on them, but once you drop it once it breaks the coating and if you drop it again it's likely to shatter. [/quote']

Interesting fact when I was younger there was aplace me n me mates liked to drink it was a train pedestrian overpass on the side of the steps were ramps and there were breaks in the stairs we used to roll the bottles down bike ramp thing and 90% of them would just bounce bounce and bounce lol this is going back a while now those stubbies are quite tough but now hearing what you said Otto I will be more careful

Cos I'm a Victorian? [bandit]

Well they say God works in mysterious ways. They say he can be cruel & kind for the betterment of man.

In your case, he was obviously CRUEL at where he decided to start your life at.

Maybe we're not that similar after all?! Bahahahahahaha. . . [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [biggrin]

Beer. [biggrin]

Cos I'm a Victorian? [bandit]

Well they say God works in mysterious ways. They say he can be cruel & kind for the betterment of man.

In your case, he was obviously CRUEL at where he decided to start your life at.

Maybe we're not that similar after all?! Bahahahahahaha. . . [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [biggrin]

Beer. [biggrin]

Don't be baggin SA I lived in Adelaide for the first 19 years of my life and then a few different towns and 3 years back I moved to Victoria there are things SA has that Vic dont lol [innocent]

Sorry to get back on topic, but I have a couple 'Vale Ale' 330ml bottles in my collection which are considerably heavier than Little Creatures and the rest of the craft brew bottles. I too prefer having my beer in stubbies over longnecks, so the search will continue.

Vale Ale is a nice drop (from SA [biggrin]) and the bottles come in at about 244g rather than 203g which is what a LC bottle weighs on my scales.

Now by all means, continue with the battle of the states! [lol] [lol]

I never said anything about SA - just mentioned I'm a Victorian. Did you guys assume something? [lol]

I have used the little creatures stubbies, from both their beer and the pipsqueak cider. I also have some Japanese stubbies from a mate. And, Sierra Nevada ones too (335 mL).

Other glass I have used are 500 mL English or German beers.

203g which is what a LC bottle weighs on my scales.

Hey Phil

Decided to get my scales out as this thread is on an interesting tangent, bottle weight wise that is.

I can confirm your LCPA measurement, so my scales are suitably calibrated.

When I first saw the Crabbies ginger beer 500ml bottles I immediately though they looked like home brew material. So on the scales they go 385g. Now on a gram/litre ratio and using weight as the determining factor these things are the bees knees with a higher ratio than the Coppers 750s. However the twist top 375ml come in at only 204g. I am going to start turning them out. I weighed my Malt Shovel and Matilda bay stubbies and they also fault short on this ratio, although they are up on the 375ml twisties. The largest weight/volume ratio I measured was my 640ml long necks from the home brew shop.

List

Rekorderlig Cider 500ml = 343g

Crabbies Ginger Beer 500ml = 385g

Cascade 750ml = 378g

Malt Shovel 345ml = 208g

Matilda Bay 345ml = 204g

LCPA 330ml = 203g

Coopers 750ml = 534g

Hombrew 640ml = 503g

Cascade 375ml = 204g

I would only use the weights as a rough guide. It would also depend on the design of the bottle. i.e. some bottles are thinner at the neck than others which would lead to assume the base of these bottles would be a thicker glass thus making the necks of these more likely to rupture than a bottle with a more "even" spread of glass. (if you know what I mean)

However, when it is hard to determine then the weight is a reasonably good guide.

Archived