Coopers Community

Carared

DylanI

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience using carared?

I've bought 100g of Pacific Jade hops. I plan to use all of them in a single batch in a beer with a malty profile. I thought that a beer with a nice red hue could be the go (probably fitting in the American amber ale category).

I plan to use around 3kg of Light LME, 100g of pale choc malt (got some left over), 100g of carawheat (just for a bit of interest), and enough carared to get a red looking beer. How much carared should I use? 0.2-0.4kg? More? Less?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Dyl

Hey Hairy

I'd be keen to hear how the 300g goes. My feeling is that it will be fine. I just thought I'd check to see how others had used it first.

And Muddy, I'm sure you've looked by now, but it has an ebc range of 40-60, and I hear it makes red beer. I want to see how it goes.

Onya guys,

-Dyl

Raw Barley is a seed and not sweet (if you chew it up) + roasted = roasted barley, still not sweet

Malted Barley is a seed that has just started growing then dried and has sweetness (if you chew it up) + roasted = roasted malt (black malt or patent malt), still carrying sweetness

Both may be treated in the same manner when making beer as the roasting process denatures the enzymes.

I use CaraRed in my Irish Ale all the time. Recipe is:

Makes 26L

Temp 67C

4Kg MO

1kg Munich

300g CaraMalt

300g CaraRed

100g Choc

45g Fuggles @ 25 min

30g EKG @ 5 min

Wyeast 1084 - ferment @ 22C

IBU 27.7

OG 1048

FG 1012

4.8% ABV

[love] [love] [love] this is quite nice

I use CaraRed in my Irish Ale all the time. Recipe is:

Makes 26L

Temp 67C

4Kg MO

1kg Munich

300g CaraMalt

300g CaraRed

100g Choc

45g Fuggles @ 25 min

30g EKG @ 5 min

Wyeast 1084 - ferment @ 22C

IBU 27.7

OG 1048

FG 1012

4.8% ABV

[love] [love] [love] this is quite nice

Ooooh, guess what I'm making next? [cool]

Hey Hairy

I'd be keen to hear how the 300g goes. My feeling is that it will be fine. I just thought I'd check to see how others had used it first.

And Muddy, I'm sure you've looked by now, but it has an ebc range of 40-60, and I hear it makes red beer. I want to see how it goes.

Onya guys,

-Dyl

I took a reading tonight after a week in the FV and the 300g Carared gives it a nice reddish hue. It's just right.

I don't normally comment on brews out of the FV; it's a little early to form an opinion. But this one, Wow! Just Wow! [love]

Archived