Coopers Community

No Krausen on Coopers draught?

RoaldV

Hey folks

Long time no brew. But after my long brew drought, I have jumped back into it. I think it was the cold weather or something that kept me away for so long [annoyed]

Anyway, I commenced my new brew yesterday afternoon.

Coopers draught original series with:

- 500g of LDM

- 600g of brewing sugar

- 15g Galaxy hops steeped for 15 minutes

Nothing too fancy. Just something to get me back into it now that the weather is improving.

I do have a question though. On my other brews (admittedly I have only brewed 3 so far), a good few centimetres of Krausen was there within 12 hours. It's now been 16 hours brewing at 20-21 degress, and there is essentially no krausen. There is condensation though, and there is a tiny bit of krausen (like 1mm) on the top. Also getting a good yeast smell from the wort, although not overly strong.

So, I don't think that's normal? But then, there is condensation, and little bubbles etc, so maybe it is fermenting?

Advice and sage experience would be appreciated!

Cheers

Roald

All sounds fine mate.

Sometimes you will get a big krausen and sometimes a small one. Sometimes it builds up quickly and sometimes it takes a couple of days. Each brew is different.

All the other signs you mentioned are positive so relax. If you are really concerned then take a hydrometer reading after a few days to check for activity.

If its forming then ur fine. Sometimes takes a while to form. Did you just sprinkled the yeast? What temp when you pitched?

Its seems its takin off. Ill bet you prob post tomorrow that you have more kraussen.

Gotta try the Draught kit. Im between Draught or the IPA. Either way it would be for next year. I still have a few kilos of grains I can use for this year.

Happy brewing all!

It peaked at only a few of centimetres, and this morning I found that it was going back down.

In relation to pitching the yeast, yes Kike, I did just sprinkle it on the top (that's what Coopers told me to do). Should I be doing something else? Like stirring it through?

Yob, how would one go about adding wheat? Can it be done simply? This sounds more complicated than the standard Coopers kit ;)

Roald, I wouldn't worry about a lack of krausen.

I have used US-05 yeast with my last couple of Pale Ale brews & the krausen has only been about 1.5-2cm high at its peak.

Your hydrometer will give you an answer to whether your brew is fermenting.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this brew.

I bottled it at 11 days (FG was 1.008), had a taste while bottling... and was very impressed with the taste!

I also had a sneaky bottle 1 week into secondary fermentation, and am very happy with the flavour. It'll be 2 weeks this weekend, and I'm tipping that there will be more than 1 sneaky bottle to be had.

Also just started brewing a Pale Ale, with 15g steeped cascade (15 minutes), 500g LDM, and 650g of dextrose. Hoping to get myself set up for the summer :) The wort started off a bit cold (17 degrees), but I warmed it up to 20 degrees fairly quickly.

Is 650g of dextrose too much? I've used 600g before no problems.

In re to temperature, ok. But I do struggle a little bit, as Coopers recommends a range of 22-26 degrees. I'm already 2 degrees under, and I worry the yeast will cease to be active if I go too low.

Is 650g of dextrose too much? I've used 600g before no problems.

In re to temperature, ok. But I do struggle a little bit, as Coopers recommends a range of 22-26 degrees. I'm already 2 degrees under, and I worry the yeast will cease to be active if I go too low.

As all the other blokes say and I agree throw the bloomin coopers instructions out brew your beer between 18 - 20 degree's tops (for ales) I personally do not use over 300G of dex because it makes the beer watery and taste like shite and I asked a question earlier this year because it gets cold here on the coast of south west vic about the lowest the coopers ale yeast can go and it can keep chugging along at 16 degree's I believe it was PB2 who told me that fact

Ok, I'll drop it down to 19 degrees.

Can I clarify - if 16 degrees is the temp that coopers yeast stops working, why not brew at 17-18 degrees?

In re to the dextrose, I'll see how this brew turns out. Like I said previously, I'm not a fan of lots of malt, so each to their own. However, I also don't like crappy tasting beer.... so, time will tell as to whether it is too much dextrose for my taste!

Ok, I'll drop it down to 19 degrees.

Can I clarify - if 16 degrees is the temp that coopers yeast stops working, why not brew at 17-18 degrees?

In re to the dextrose, I'll see how this brew turns out. Like I said previously, I'm not a fan of lots of malt, so each to their own. However, I also don't like crappy tasting beer.... so, time will tell as to whether it is too much dextrose for my taste!

Most of the Malt ferments out and by what PB2 who works for coopers said the yeast will keep chugging along fine at 16 degree's below that the yeast will go to sleep you can balance out the malt by adding hops

Wayne, it is my understanding and experience that malt adds a residual flavour.

In re to temp - good to know. I'll starting brewing at even lower temps than what I've been doing (if possible, as the weather is changing now it gets a bit harder).

Just wrap a wet towel around the fermenter if you don't have a fancy brew fridge like a lot of the others on here do. I do that and it works fine. I just put the FV in a big saucer to make sure the water doesn't go everywhere, and also put cold water + ice in it. (The saucer)

Yes you're right, malt does leave a residual flavour, but if you balance it out with hop additions it can reduce it quite a bit depending on the additions. I've made a few pale ales with pure malt extract + specialty grains + hops and none of them taste particularly 'malty'. They don't taste thin and horrible either which too much dextrose can do. But, it's your brew, if you like the results then that's all that matters[biggrin]

What is too much dextrose?

I don't think you can just generally say that 600g is too much. It is all about balance. Balancing the malt, dextrose and bitterness as well as the attenuation and finishing gravity.

Adding 600g dex in a kit & kilo is most likely too much resulting in a low FG and a thinner cidery beer.

But 600g in a big beer with a lot of malt extract won't be as noticable. Adding the dex and finishing with an FG between 1015-1020 will definitely not be a thin beer.

I understand where everyone is coming from with the recipe posted and I am just clarifying that it isn't a hard and fast rule.

Oh well, you brew you learn. I'll see how it turns out. I'm sure it'll still be drinkable... right? [pinched]

Hey Otto, in re to the ice - that's a fantastic idea! I actually don't know why I didn't think of it, especially given my temp control is far from what you'd classify as "standard". I have a large tub that I half fill with water, put an aquarium heater in, set it to 20 degrees, plonk my fermenter in, cover with a towel. I have really consistent temps with this method, although it does require re-sterilisation of the tap when I bottle. Anyway, thanks, I should be able to brew throughout summer (most of it anyway) by adding ice to my water tub as needed.

Archived