Coopers Community

No Krausen on Coopers draught?

RoaldV

Oh well' date=' you brew you learn. I'll see how it turns out. I'm sure it'll still be drinkable... right?[/quote']

All depends on what you like. You said you don't like malty beer so you may prefer this.

In the end you brew for your own tastes; you're the one that has to drink it.

I don't think you can just generally say that 600g is too much.

Agreed

It is all about balance. Balancing the malt' date=' dextrose and bitterness as well as the attenuation and finishing gravity.[/quote']

Agreed

Adding 600g dex in a kit & kilo is most likely too much resulting in a low FG and a thinner cidery beer.

Agreed

But 600g in a big beer with a lot of malt extract won't be as noticable. Adding the dex and finishing with an FG between 1015-1020 will definitely not be a thin beer.

Agreed

I understand where everyone is coming from with the recipe posted and I am just clarifying that it isn't a hard and fast rule.

Agreed.. but for any Standard kit brew without significant pimping (Grains, extra malt, Hops... lots of hops.. I believe it is [lol]

Yob[roll]

Probably a bit early to call it, but the Draught that I brewed (containing 500g LDM and 600g dex + 15g of 15min steeped cascade) does not taste very good at all. It's "ok", but it has an unpleasant harshness at the end of each sip. I wonder if this is the "taste" people were warning me about with too much dex. Although, it is only 12 days into secondary fermentation, so like I said, maybe a bit early to call.

I do have a question for you fine folks though - can I add some more hops to my current brew? (I'm a bit worried about the taste now) E.g. can I add a pellet in each bottle when I bottle it? Or can I add some steeped hops to the fermenter?

It is too early to tell. It will taste different after some time in the bottle.

I would dry hop it now in the FV. Add the pellets straight to the FV or in a bag (up to you) and give it another week before bottling (assuming FG has been reached of course).

Archived