Coopers Community

Under-carbonated?

King Ruddager

Just getting through some lagers that I bottled about three months ago and I'm noticing that some of them are really quite flat. Not completely flat, but the bubbles disappear quite quickly. What can cause this? I was using the standard two carbonation drops per 740mL bottle.

Just getting through some lagers that I bottled about three months ago and I'm noticing that some of them are really quite flat. Not completely flat' date=' but the bubbles disappear quite quickly. What can cause this? I was using the standard two carbonation drops per 740mL bottle.[/quote']

Did you definitely carbonate them all? I know I have forgotten an odd bottle.

Were the caps on tight?

As a side note, and I certainly found it interesting, the lower temperature you carbonate at the longer the shelf life of the beer and the more stable the flavour profile..

not that many of our beers seems to get more than a few months of age though... [biggrin]

All my beers are carbonated at about 10'c with Ale yeast... it will happen, just slowly.

All my beers are carbonated at about 10'c with Ale yeast... it will happen, just slowly.

For me, they would just be drunk flat [lol]

I would be making high gravity brews and mixing them with soda/mineral water. Then not only do you get carbonated beer but you get extra bottles from the batch.

An idea that someone, other than me, could try [innocent]

I have a feeling they would be [sick]

I bottled a brew into PETs on Sunday.

They have been in my brew fridge at 18 degrees since and they are firming up nicely.

It was a 23 litre brew bulk primed with 180g of dex.

Keeping them in a warm place definitely works well.

I bottled a brew into PETs on Sunday.

They have been in my brew fridge at 18 degrees since and they are firming up nicely.

It was a 23 litre brew bulk primed with 180g of dex.

Keeping them in a warm place definitely works well.

I tried one brew in PET with 2 carb drops per bottle, great up until 6 months after that found they got flatter over time, wouldnt recomend them for those brews you want to age a bit, ok for those session beers that never seem to last long in the cupboard, if you can get over the fact of pouring beer out of plastic.

Archived