Coopers Community

Home brew headache

King Ruddager

Been fermenting at about 22 max. When you guys say "high temperatures", how high do you mean?

Perhaps I should try different water. I've been using spring water, but a very cheap brand.

depends on the yeast you are using really... it also depends on the ingredients to a large degree as well..

as suggested above, higher temps that the yeast like and or an excess of simple sugars will produce beer that 'hangs'

Its going to be temps or ingredients.

ferment temps for ales is commonly found to be ideal at about 18, a little lower depending on the yeast and flavour profile desired.

Yob

I wouldn't think that 22 is "high", more like 27+ would be depending on the type of yeast. Happy healthy yeast is always the key to a good clean ferment. pH and water hardness could also be issues, but these things way out of my league.

As Yob says, 22C IS high but depending on what yeast you use. i.e. fermenting a Lager at 22C is just not on in my books.

Some people have a reaction to home brews including wine which they receive headaches from. It can be something as simple as the cleaning regime. eg. using sodium metabisulphite can cause reactions with some people as can other ingredients.

When I said 22, I meant that that was the highest temperature it reached. Mine have spent most their time around the 18-20 mark, and when I did a lager it was down around 16.

The ingredients I've used so far have all been Coopers ones.

Hmmm, well, I'll see what happens. I think so far everything I've had has been from new bottles (which I only rinsed).

Perhaps it is an intolerance to yeast.

Did you previously drink beer with a lot of yeast sediment or was it mainly the filtered variety?

I really have no idea, just throwing out options.

If you use quality ingredients, pitch sufficient healthy yeast and ferment at appropriate temperatures then it shouldn't be the brewing process causing your problem.

It has something to do with ingredients Gavin. Even water is an ingredient[biggrin]

Start changing things in your brewing. First change your water (maybe even try tap water instead of the spring water) if it still persists, start changing malts, sugars etc. I sometimes have this issue when using highly bittered kits. I put it down to the isohops that they contain. Don't know if that is what the issue is or not. In saying that I started putting my headaches down to either the isohops or sugar before i started brewing because the same thing happens when I drink Tooheys, VB, Carlton etc.

It has something to do with ingredients Gavin. Even water is an ingredient[biggrin]

of course I was just stating how water could cause fusel problems. Checking the pH will let you know. A lot of beginner homebrewers don't realise how important the pH is.

there is even a small possibility it could be gluten related.. Its possible that there is more in your home brew then commercial beers. Does the headache come when drinking unfiltered craft beers as well?

could be a sign of some sort of gluten intolerance. Small chance but just a thought.

I'm with Tim. Bugger all headaches since i started brewing.

I'm with you blokes, don't have any problems at all. Mind you, in the morning I might report differently....celebrating 7 in a row for Queensland...!!! [happy]

I'm considering changing my allegiance to QLD. Not because they keep winning though but rather because the XXXX logos on their uniforms are a bit more discreet than the highly offensive (and huge) VB logos desecrating the chest of the NSW jerseys [pinched]

The Only homebrews that gave me a hang over/headache were my first kit and kilo of sugar attempts quality ingredients like malt and small amounts of dextrose make good beer plus I often just wake up still pissed. If i were to drink crap like VB or Tooheys i would wake up feeling like right shite however commercial coopers and coopers home brew with malt and hops wake up fine or partly pissed.

Archived