Coopers Community

Home brew headache

King Ruddager

Acetone and Methanol can also be produced when the yeast is stressed by the high temps or excessive sugar levels' date='[/quote']

[rightful] According to our resident PhD Yeast, "No and No!! You may be confusing Acetone with Ethyl Acetate, which has a solvent aroma like nail polish. He also said, "There are no metabolic pathways for yeast to produce methanol. Methanol will kill yeast and us!" [rightful]

Ruddager, did you get back to us with the recipe to which the offending brew was made?

According to our resident PhD Yeast' date=' [i']"No and No!! You may be confusing Acetone with Ethyl Acetate, which has a solvent aroma like nail polish.[/i] He also said, "There are no metabolic pathways for yeast to produce methanol. Methanol will kill yeast and us!"

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Ethyl Acetate and not Acetone may be present, and Methanol is produced in the anaerobic metabolism of many varieties of bacteria and not yeast.

Always willing to learn and be corrected as necessary.

Edit: Methanol in sufficient quantities can kill, in smaller non-lethal quantities can lead to blindness. Symptoms of methanol poisoning include nausea dizziness vomiting and headaches

Me too! Been with the Brewery for 10 years now and I'm still learning and being corrected. [biggrin]

Sounds an awful lot like marriage... [rightful]

Me too! Been with the Brewery for 10 years now and I'm still learning and being corrected. [biggrin]

Sounds an awful lot like marriage... [rightful]

Except in marriage, what you learn today may not necessarily be right tomorrow!!! [innocent]

Archived