Coopers Community

Ale-Hop Gobbler kit............tip

Jeff

Hello there

Just bought the Hop Gobbler kit & was wondering about the "crack the grain" comment (never done that before)

How do you crack the (chocolate malt) grain?

TIA

Jeff

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff, I use a rolling pin. If they aren't in a bag then put them in a zip lock bag or between grease proof paper and roll the pin over them.

For steeping you only need the crack them open not crush them into dust.

Also, you can update your username on the side. At present it looks like your prison number [biggrin]

mortar and pestle.. drive a car over them... meat tenderiser.. coffee grinder as a last resort (Not a good habbit to form)

anyway you can bust em open to get the sweet sweet sugaz out [lol]

Yob

I must admit I periodically use a coffee grinder for a quick blitz when I'm particularly lazy or when the mortar and pestle is in use (I can you hear you tut-tutting Yob [lol] ).

I must admit I have not found the final results, flavour wise, to have any negative effects from my laziness...I'm inclined to use the method again [bandit] ....just don't tell Yob [alien]

I must be even lazier than Muddy.

I couldn't really be bothered crushing grains myself so I get them crushed by the LHBS.

I don't buy in bulk and just buy grain on an 'as needs' basis. The last time I bought some crystal malt from Craftbrewer I wanted 300g. But they only crush a minimum of 500g.

So I bought 500g and used 300g. It cost me an extra $1 to avoid some work. I'll live with that.

Definately go to that much trouble.

It makes the beer taste absolutely fantastic. Like All Grain is to kits, when I was only making kits I was like how can you get any better. I put a lot more work and made a couple of All Grain batches and wow they are good.

My variation of the Hop Gobbler recipe. The cracking the grains is at 4.45 mins .

Cheerz

Great Video mate one thing i noticed is you don't filter your hops out from your boil i filter mine out because i don't want to block up my bottle filler just curious in wondering how it goes for you when it comes to bottling [cool]

Awesome first HBW vid Gavin, Im a bit of a youtube and JTV addict, will there be more? Should I be sub'ing?

I even watched all of the (dare I mention him) TSA's vids, mainly because I found him funny rather than for his brewing advice.

17 mate [cool]

Yep there will be more Vids, and I'm on JTV at least once a week, usually more.

No, I used to filter out the hops, but don't anymore, plus going to dry hop anyway. By the time I bottle most of the hops have settled. And when I bottle I bulk prime so all the hops are left behind in the first fermenter before I even start. here's an old instructable I made a few years back on bulk priming. http://www.instructables.com/id/Bulk-Priming-Home-Brew-Made-Easy/

I seen those instructions the other day nice work, I personally love putting in the extra work boiling the hops and have control on how much flavour/aroma i want i dry hopped once for a sparkling ale with citra lovely aroma and slight taste im yet to do a boil with citra that will happen [cool] And with bulk priming that is something that i will be getting into soon this hobby never ends just more to learn as you go [cool]

17 [cool]

+1 to 17

Therefore 18.

But seriously, I have know idea what you guys are talking about [unsure]

Can someone explain the following:

- JTV

- TSA

- 17 mate

Sorry, I can be a bit slow sometimes.

- JTV - Justin TV, a live feed website which brewers are using to hang out and talk crap to each other, each channel is run by a host like our very own Gavin here [biggrin]

- TSA - Take Some Advice, some weirdo Canadian guy who went on a personal vendetta about Craigtube and how crap Coopers kit brewing was. I think he went a bit psycho after the thousands of Craigtube fans decended on his youtube channel and flogged every video he put out.

- 17 mate - A new phrase used in the online brewing world, explained here http://www.17crew.com/brew/the-17-explained/

Thanks Graham. I felt like a newbie there trying to work out all the acronyms.

online brewing

I like where this is going. Do you make virtual beer? This might help me lose some weight [innocent]

- TSA - Take Some Advice, some weirdo Canadian guy who went on a personal vendetta about Craigtube and how crap Coopers kit brewing was. I think he went a bit psycho after the thousands of Craigtube fans decended on his youtube channel and flogged every video he put out.

That guy is an ass. I started watching his videos but SWMBO told me to turn them off because she couldn't stand the sound effects he put in and the fact he is the only one in the world to find everything he says funny.

I tried watching another vid of his yesterday just for a laugh, but ended up shooting myself in the head. I think it was less painful...

Cheers 17 [rightful]

Archived