Coopers Community

Ale-Hop Gobbler kit............tip

Jeff

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TSA - Take Some Advice, some weirdo Canadian guy who went on a personal vendetta about Craigtube and how crap Coopers kit brewing was. I think he went a bit psycho after the thousands of Craigtube fans decended on his youtube channel and flogged every video he put out.

I quite liked him (once I was able to get past his vendetta about Coopers). He was the reason I started all grain. I think it was only because he put so much effort into his videos that every little detail was shown and how to do it and it didn't seem like an impossible task.

A bit of a wanker but his all grain video's are pretty informative.

I admit I did sit through his video on temperature control. That was difficult since he just rambled and rambled and in the end just said "get a fridge".

For me, a new brewer who doesn't have access to a fridge and thermostat (or the cash to afford it right now), I was looking for practical guides on non-refrigerator cooling. It was pretty hard, because just about every video and article ends up saying "get a fridge".

Thankfully I did find some advice on here that's worked well. Someone posted about putting a frozen lunch box underneath towels on top of the fermenter, plus wetting the towels, having it sit in a bucket of water and place ice bottles around it. The bonus I have is the lunch box leaks, so I have it upside down and so as the ice melts cold water continues to drip down the sides. That process is working well for me to keep it around 14 degrees. I know, not ideal for a Lager, but probably the best I can achieve in this climate without a fridge.

My (very old) chest freezer was free (from Gumtree I think) and my thermostat is a reptile one from China that you can pick up for $15 off ebay, I understand space being an issue but cost shouldnt be mate. As far as electricity to keep my freezer at 18\xb0c it actually hardly turns on.

The downside to a chesty is lifting the FV's in and out, sepecially my 60L.

My setup and additions is a constant battle with SWMBO but as long as my 'stuff' dosn't affect her 'stuff' and like you I dont blow the bank then shes usually persuadable (a word??)

I've seen those reptile thermostats on ebay. I'm just very sceptical of most stuff from China' date=' particularly electrical! [/quote']

So was I but then I saw on the same ebay list a guy selling the same model from here but for $30 [lol]

edit: this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THERMOSTAT-Reptile-Snake-Lizard-Incubator-9to38-Deg-C-/140544740568?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item20b91e8cd8

Don't watch them ! [biggrin]

But then I'll need something else to complain about [innocent]

I've seen those reptile thermostats on ebay. I'm just very sceptical of most stuff from China' date=' particularly electrical![/quote']

I've bought plenty of cheap Chinese ebay stuf (thermometers, tripods, phone accesories etc) and have always been happy with what I've received but I'd be worried the reptile thermostats may keep things a little hot - In my experience the Chinese tend to like their reptiles either grilled or steamed [bandit]

Just got my second temp controller in the mail (first from China) $25 (Heating and Cooling) delivered. Luckily I have an electronics background, but if you don't it might pay to get someone to help you to wire it up. BYO magazine had article on wiring one up in the Jan-Feb 2012 issue. I also made one from a Jaycar kit, but it ended up costing me a fair bit for all the extra parts I had to buy.

hmm can you subscribe to threads in this forum to receive emails?

Cheerz Gash

Just got my second temp controller in the mail (first from China) $25 (Heating and Cooling) delivered. Luckily I have an electronics background, but if you don't it might pay to get someone to help you to wire it up. BYO magazine had article on wiring one up in the Jan-Feb 2012 issue. I also made one from a Jaycar kit, but it ended up costing me a fair bit for all the extra parts I had to buy.

hmm can you subscribe to threads in this forum to receive emails?

Cheerz Gash

Those are the ones I've seen, and with a distinct desire to not a) electrocute myself or b) burn my house down, I'm very reluctant to touch them.

The one Graham pointed at was a complete, wired up device so no installation to be done other than plug in.

The one Graham pointed at was a complete' date=' wired up device so no installation to be done other than plug in.[/quote']

Yep you just plug the fridge in to it and plug it into the wall, it does both heating and cooling and the display shows the temperature the probe is reading so it doubles as a thermometer.

Mine have been running non-stop for months now and I get a difference of 1\xb0 between the display on the thermostat and the digital meat thermometer I use for brewing.

Those are the ones I've seen, and with a distinct desire to not a) electrocute myself or b) burn my house down, I'm very reluctant to touch them.

Bollox.. they are fantastic.. I use 3 of them for fridges 2 more in a single box to run my AG equipment..

+/- 0.3'c and can be calibrated.. also they have a compressor delay..

Fantastic units.[rightful]

Yob

Bollox.. they are fantastic.. I use 3 of them for fridges 2 more in a single box to run my AG equipment..

+/- 0.3'c and can be calibrated.. also they have a compressor delay..

Fantastic units.[rightful]

Yob

I'm not questioning the devices, I'm questioning my own capabilities to rig one up :P

I got a Keg King temp controller the other day. Shipped from Vic to Newcastle overnight and it's all setup ready to go. Plug it in, make some adjustments, and you're good [cool]

Costs about $70, and for piece of mind that I don't have a young einstein moment, money well spent

Where are you getting your light globes' date=' they are getting hard to find around here, I managed to find some oven light globes.[/quote']

I get mine at woolies - I use the new energy saver ones and they do the job perfectly and then the terracotta pot holds the heat. My brewing fridge is actually better than our food fridge so it maintains my temps well.

I get mine at woolies - I use the new energy saver ones and they do the job perfectly and then the terracotta pot holds the heat. My brewing fridge is actually better than our food fridge so it maintains my temps well.

I wouldn't of thought the energy saver ones would emit enough heat. good to know. Cheerz

Archived