Coopers Community

Fermenters as Carbonation Vessels ?!

So I recently purchased some new fermenters, making a total of 5, 
now I'm sure I don't need to tell you, I dont have the time nor the space or energy to run 5 brews at a time (YET haha). 

So my thinking is to repurpose my 2 27L Coopers Fermenters, and use them as Dedicated Carbonation Vessels. 
in the sense of, I will close transfer (tube on the tap of the brew fermenter running into the coopers 27L empty fermenter), 
and filling it up for the Carbonation Period, then transferring it from the Carbonation Vessel to my Keg as needed (currently running 3 8L PET Kegs with co2 for pouring). 

Thoughts?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Fair Drinkum Brews said:

now I'm sure I don't need to tell you, I dont have the time nor the space or energy to run 5 brews at a time (YET haha). 

So my thinking is to repurpose my 2 27L Coopers Fermenters, and use them as Dedicated Carbonation Vessels. 
in the sense of, I will close transfer (tube on the tap of the brew fermenter running into the coopers 27L empty fermenter), 
and filling it up for the Carbonation Period, then transferring it from the Carbonation Vessel to my Keg as needed (currently running 3 8L PET Kegs with co2 for pouring). 

Thoughts?

How are you going to carbonate in a vessel that isn't made for pressure?

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Herbal Alchemy. said:

Would a 25 litre demijohn carboy work instead? Transferring a carbonated batch back to a keg though... err ..I've said to much here I think.

If you mean a glass carboy wine type demijohn they are not rated for pressure either. You need something that is rated for pressure. Could be tears otherwise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

If you mean a glass carboy wine type demijohn they are not rated for pressure either. You need something that is rated for pressure. Could be tears otherwise.

And blood 💥 🩸 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fair Drinkum Brews said:

To my thinking is to repurpose my 2 27L Coopers Fermenters, and use them as Dedicated Carbonation Vessels. 

i am not sure how you plan to keep the co2  in the coopers fermenter  as the co2 that you want to carbonate your brew will just escape leaving your brew  not carbonated 
As  you will not be able to pressurise these fermenters either   even if you could get the perfect seal to carbonate

16 hours ago, Fair Drinkum Brews said:

Thoughts?

In a normal Coopers fermenter? That can't work. If you pour a beer and leave it on the side, what happens? It goes flat because all the gas leaves the glass over time. The same goes for this. If you were to add your primer into the FV, the yeast would start up again, eat the sugar and the CO2 would escape through the lid. You can't gas it up with CO2 because the same thing would happen if you tried and you couldn't connect the gas to the FV. You can do it in a pressure fermenter because it is a closed, pressure rated container keeping the gas in. You can then do a closed transfer into a keg.

Get yourself a few corny kegs and keep the carbonated beer in there or get a few more of the small PET kegs, that'll do as well but Cornys are the better choice.

• Thanks 1

You have herd of a bottle bomb, how about a 23 litre carboy bomb!?! 

It would probably be herd in the next city block over & make the nightly news!!

ignore my earlier comment above just attempting to humour y'all.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...