Coopers Community

Yeast substitution

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I like to brew a Guinness West Indian Porter clone and the recipe is asking for Wlp 004 Irish Ale yeast. I would like to substitute it with a dry yeast. What do you recommend?

Nottingham dries the beer out a fair bit I reckon that's why I only use it for stouts now

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I like to brew a Guinness West Indian Porter clone and the recipe is asking for Wlp 004 Irish Ale yeast. I would like to substitute it with a dry yeast. What do you recommend?

+1 to what @Back Brewing said. Notty is a good allrounder.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I have not used WLP004 Irish Ale yeast.  But reading about it and some other yeasts, I think something like Lallemand London or Windsor might be well suited.  They tend to be medium to high attenuation.  Plus it says they leave some fruity esters.  WLP004 also leaves esters, but my quick searching could not find what type of esters.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

S04 is my go to but other suggestions like Windsor or Nottingham will work as well.

I like S04 as well and just made a Guiness Stout with it recently and it is so good!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I like S04 as well and just made a Guiness Stout with it recently and it is so good!

S04 was my first thought after researching a bit, but Windsor sounds nice as well. How many packets did you pitch?

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

S04 was my first thought after researching a bit, but Windsor sounds nice as well. How many packets did you pitch?

Just one at 1042 sg and i fermented at 20degrees

• Thanks 1