Coopers Community

First time brew, all bottled and week later i see sediment or is it the sugar sitting on bottom of the bottles ?

HI all, very excited about this, already bought second can for next time.

The full process went pretty smoothly,  followed all instructions.

On bottling day, I dropped in carbonation drops ( 1 per 340ml bottle, 2 per 740 Coopers bottles). 
Today, a week later i just checked and on all the bottles i am seeing a slight film sitting on the bottom. 
Sort of looks like a fine sediment or is it the drops breaking down, i know a week to go still, but just curious if anyone can let me know what this might be. 
(fyi, i used to make wine with my dad and it reminded me of the sediment in the wine bottles? )

The photo attached was one of the first 5 bottles filled, i mention this because at the end, i had to tip the FV to get the final drops out and the last bottle may have gotten some sediment ( there was a bunch of white goop at the bottom, i assumed it was the yeast sitting their ) as i tipped to get it out the spout.

IF it is the sugar, will it dissipate by second week (recommended 2nd fermentation time frame before the fridge) so its completely gone and beer is clear ?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a great day
Johnny

IMG_4827.jpeg

Edited by JohnnyHavana
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, JohnnyHavana said:

On bottling day, I dropped in carbonation drops ( 1 per 340ml bottle, 2 per 740 Coopers bottles). 
Today, a week later i just checked and on all the bottles i am seeing a slight film sitting on the bottom. 
Sort of looks like a fine sediment or is it the drops breaking down, i know a week to go still, but just curious if anyone can let me know what this might be. 
(fyi, i used to make wine with my dad and it reminded me of the sediment in the wine bottles? )

The photo attached was one of the first 5 bottles filled, i mention this because at the end, i had to tip the FV to get the final drops out and the last bottle may have gotten some sediment ( there was a bunch of white goop at the bottom, i assumed it was the yeast sitting their ) as i tipped to get it out the spout.

IF it is the sugar, will it dissipate by second week (recommended 2nd fermentation time frame before the fridge) so its completely gone and beer is clear ?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a great day
Johnny

IMG_4827.jpeg

Hi mate welcome to the forum it is just spent ale yeast that has settled to the bottom after eating your carbonation drops to produce CO2 which makes your bubbles in your beer. It’s perfectly normal! If you like clear beer gently pour the beer into your glass without disturbing the yeast/trub in the bottom of the bottle or if younlike a cloudy yeasty beer then pour away! If you buy commercial coopers beer if you look in the bottom it will also have the same spent yeast as you have in your bottles it’s called bottle conditioned beer! Hope it turns out well for you!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JohnnyHavana said:

Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated, i dont mind it, was just curious, so i should always expect it in every bottle then. 

thanx

Johnny

Your all good mate just be careful with the last bottle you took from your fermenter with the most trub in it, it may foam due to co2 trapped in the trub/sludge in bottom causing nucleation sites so pour that one quick. It may not but just be mindful! 
Cool story about your dad too!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, JohnnyHavana said:

All totally normal. Those last bottles will likely have the most sediment. As soon as I have to start tipping the fermentor to get the beer into the bottle I make that my last, so have to allow for a litre or so going down the drain. If you try and squeeze out the last bits full of sediment they can sometimes turn into fizzers, so not worth it IMO. (EDIT: Just saw RDT2 addressed this just above 😄)

If you prefer clearer beer with less sediment you could look into isinglass or similar. I found also leaving it longer before bottling also clears things up a bit (usually two weeks total. even if fermentation stopped at one).

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

All totally normal. Those last bottles will likely have the most sediment. As soon as I have to start tipping the fermentor to get the beer into the bottle I make that my last, so have to allow for a litre or so going down the drain. If you try and squeeze out the last bits full of sediment they can sometimes turn into fizzers, so not worth it IMO. (EDIT: Just saw RDT2 addressed this just above 😄)

If you prefer clearer beer with less sediment you could look into isinglass or similar. I found also leaving it longer before bottling also clears things up a bit (usually two weeks total. even if fermentation stopped at one).

I actually kept it in the FV for 2 weeks, and was going to leave it for another 2 weeks just settling in the bottles then put in the fridge, but maybe i'll just put 3-4 in the fridge and let the rest sit, I dont drink that much so some will sit for a while before refrigerating and drinking. (maybe i should drink more now 🤔 )

thank you for the advise though 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually kept it in the FV for 2 weeks, and was going to leave it for another 2 weeks just settling in the bottles then put in the fridge, but maybe i'll just put 3-4 in the fridge and let the rest sit, I dont drink that much so some will sit for a while before refrigerating and drinking. (maybe i should drink more now 🤔 )

thank you for the advise though 🙂

great to know for next time, if i leave in the FB for say 4 weeks will that be any different then bottling in 2 and sitting for 2 ?

i do prefer a clear bear but dont want to add chemicals or the isinglass ( googled it, possible side effects, would rather drink a slightly cloudy beer ), but great to know thanx. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnnyHavana said:

great to know for next time, if i leave in the FB for say 4 weeks will that be any different then bottling in 2 and sitting for 2 ?

i do prefer a clear bear but dont want to add chemicals or the isinglass ( googled it, possible side effects, would rather drink a slightly cloudy beer ), but great to know thanx. 

I would leave it for 2 weeks & let it clear in the bottle for another 2 weeks. It will improve with age but storing it in the FV won't help.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It will improve with age but storing it in the FV won't help.

It will if he is cold crashing it before bottling.

Welcome to the forum @JohnnyHavana.  Cold crashing is a term used when you have an FV fridge for temperature control of your fermenter and you reduce the temperature down to say 2 C after the beer has reached final gravity.  You leave it there at 2 C for at least a week to drop out as much of the yeast trub as possible to the bottom of the FV and then you bottle.  If you have temperature control for your FV, I suggest you try a cold crash on your next beer.  It will make your beers much clearer without the use of any finings like isinglass etc.

• Like 4

On 3/15/2024 at 10:24 PM, iBooz2 said:

Welcome to the forum @JohnnyHavana.  Cold crashing is a term used when you have an FV fridge for temperature control of your fermenter and you reduce the temperature down to say 2 C after the beer has reached final gravity.  You leave it there at 2 C for at least a week to drop out as much of the yeast trub as possible to the bottom of the FV and then you bottle.  If you have temperature control for your FV, I suggest you try a cold crash on your next beer.  It will make your beers much clearer without the use of any finings like isinglass etc.

Thank you @iBooz2 thats good to know i dont have a fridge large enough to hold the FV though but maybe next time ill do it a buddy's place who has an extra fridge in his basement, could make room. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 10:24 PM, iBooz2 said:

My first time so might be a dumb question but is there any way to make coopers beer without the sediment in the bottom? I've never seen any commercial beer i've bought before ( i live in canada) that had anything in it (accept a few trappist beers) ?  i guess if i bottle it with a coffee filter ( thinking of when i made wine, so may not apply) that won't make a difference bc its coming from the sugar tablets ?

• Like 2

Hello @JohnnyHavana, I have been home-brewing with Coopers extracts for over two years now. I don't have a brewing fridge, so I don't cold crash. I bottle my beer in plastic 750ml PET bottles after about 10 days in the fermenter, adding 1 1/2 tsps. of sugar to each bottle before putting the lid on. I find there is usually about 1/2" of sediment/trub in the bottom of the fermenter which I put on tough plants. I usually try my new beer after only 14 days in the bottle (impatient!) and there is very little or no sediment in the bottom of the bottles. My favourite extract so far after 45 brews is Coopers Australian Pale Ale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyHavana said:

My first time so might be a dumb question but is there any way to make coopers beer without the sediment in the bottom? I've never seen any commercial beer i've bought before ( i live in canada) that had anything in it (accept a few trappist beers) ?  i guess if i bottle it with a coffee filter ( thinking of when i made wine, so may not apply) that won't make a difference bc its coming from the sugar tablets ?

There usually is a little sediment in most beers apart from many lagers which are usually filtered in the brewing process.

Coopers Ales etc. are bottle fermented so there is a small residue. The label tells you to gently roll the bottle which assists greatly by mixing the sediment throughout the beer unlocking its full flavour & creating that iconic cloudy deliciousness.

With home brew it is more noticeable, but it is not wise to move the contents around before drinking otherwise you risk a gusher.

If you don't like the sediment, leave it in the bottle.

https://coopers.com.au/roll-the-beer-unlock-the-flavour/#:~:text=That means every beer finishes its fermentation process,its full-flavour and creating that iconic cloudy deliciousness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyHavana said:

You can try adding finings to your beer. Common ones are isinglass and gelatin. In theory these should make the sediment heavier, leaving it at the bottom of the fermenter.

I couldn’t wait any longer, it’s been bottled for a week with a week to go, but I tried it today. It’s a bit malty but I like it , I assume it will settle down in another week, and perhaps over another month taste wise?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyHavana said:

I couldn’t wait any longer, it’s been bottled for a week with a week to go, but I tried it today. It’s a bit malty but I like it , I assume it will settle down in another week, and perhaps over another month taste wise?

I'm the same. I usually taste one at week one. I find it often tastes a bit sweeter earlier on, which I presume is the priming sugar. Week two I find the bitterness creeps forward more, but from about 3 weeks on things start to round out. Some people wait at least 6 weeks before getting into it, for me after a month I don't really notice much difference. Results may vary depending on what you're making.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm the same. I usually taste one at week one. I find it often tastes a bit sweeter earlier on, which I presume is the priming sugar. Week two I find the bitterness creeps forward more, but from about 3 weeks on things start to round out. Some people wait at least 6 weeks before getting into it, for me after a month I don't really notice much difference. Results may vary depending on what you're making.

this was my first try, i got the lager with the kit, and next is a canadian blonde. But thank you for that information, i was hoping it would mellow out a bit, but if it does what your saying then it should be great. thanx

5 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Is the trub good for the garden?

@ChairmanDrew, I don't know about that! It's just that the cactus garden with hose nearby is near the front door. I can just swish it out and dump before taking the FV back inside for a proper clean. A  quick look on-line, and I read that a lot of people say that trub is a good fertilizer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

@ChairmanDrew, I don't know about that! It's just that the cactus garden with hose nearby is near the front door. I can just swish it out and dump before taking the FV back inside for a proper clean. A  quick look on-line, and I read that a lot of people say that trub is a good fertilizer.

I have a cactus garden too. Anything I plant is cactus within a week 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

AND its good for extracting different metals out of e-waste.  Reading an article the other day from CSIRO (I think) where they apply brewing yeast waste to e-waste and it breaks down those metals into their different types.  Basically, how it works is that the PH of the trub causes different metals to be recovered so if a really low PH (for example) then copper is released, slightly higher PH then another metal is released and so on until the PH is way up in alkaline territory around a PH of 8.0 and after all metals in the mix have been fully recovered.  They can control which metal is released by adjusting the PH of the brewing waste trub.

Amazing things our little yeastie friends.  If they can be used to turn (dissolve) an old computer or computer or TV screen into recyclable metals that would have to be a win - win for the environment IMO and the input ingredient is cheap and plentiful.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5