Coopers Community

Possible grain storage solution

6 hours ago, Malter White said:

Hey guys. This is in a Mitre10 catalogue I received today. Available until Feb 18.

I thought it was a possible grain storage solution for some of you. Pretty cheap, vermin proof, stackable, two sizes.

IMG_20240207_131311.jpg

I use these for grain.  Two of them hold a 25kg bag of grain, filled right to the top.  I am not sure what their actual volume is.  However, they must be close to 20 litres.

image.png.e6c4b694999497735b0120dc64770117.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I use these for grain.  Two of them hold a 25kg bag of grain, filled right to the top.  I am not sure what their actual volume is.  However, they must be close to 20 litres.

image.png.e6c4b694999497735b0120dc64770117.png

Shamus, the most pleasing thing about this photo is that Masterfoods think "Homestyle" comes in 21kg quantities. 🤣🤣

• Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Shamus, the most pleasing thing about this photo is that Masterfoods think "Homestyle" comes in 21kg quantities. 🤣🤣

Must have big gobbler families.  😂

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Malter White said:

Hey guys. This is in a Mitre10 catalogue I received today. Available until Feb 18.

I thought it was a possible grain storage solution for some of you. Pretty cheap, vermin proof, stackable, two sizes.

IMG_20240207_131311.jpg

I use similar buckets from Bunnings for things I buy in 10kg lots like Vienna or Munich. They're great for grain storage except, the lid doesn't close firmly. For malts I buy in 25kg sacks, I have bigger pails but they still won't hold 25kg. It's annoying to always have a full bucket of grain and a few kilos left in the sack it came from. One day, I will address this issue 🙂 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I use similar buckets from Bunnings for things I buy in 10kg lots like Vienna or Munich. They're great for grain storage except, the lid doesn't close firmly. For malts I buy in 25kg sacks, I have bigger pails but they still won't hold 25kg. It's annoying to always have a full bucket of grain and a few kilos left in the sack it came from. One day, I will address this issue 🙂 

I have a 60 litre Willow brand garbage bin from Bunnings.  It is just big enough to fit a 25kg sack of grain, sack and all. $18 including a lid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have these Sistema storage boxes, the big ones hold almost a full 25kg bag & the smaller take up the rest.

3 x 4kg bags of milled fit in the other large one.

I have many of these in all different sizes in the kitchen/pantry to hold all sorts of foodstuffs. 

20240208_080946.thumb.jpg.3095933796ad4c0b02f63eb3f33d0de7.jpg20240208_081108.thumb.jpg.668108f842349002cde6cdff1bd3ea75.jpg

I use some like these for smaller amounts but I find the bigger containers, suitable to hold a whole sack of grain are often not sealing well enough to keep bugs out. The Sistema ones are possibly a bit better but to be honest, I haven't found any such containers that seal in a way I'd like them to. After finding little black bugs in a container with almost 15kg of pale malt, I am a little paranoid. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I use some like these for smaller amounts but I find the bigger containers, suitable to hold a whole sack of grain are often not sealing well enough to keep bugs out. The Sistema ones are possibly a bit better but to be honest, I haven't found any such containers that seal in a way I'd like them to. After finding little black bugs in a container with almost 15kg of pale malt, I am a little paranoid. 

10 litre plastic paint tubs they are air tight to stop the paint going bad and are stackable as well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Good point AK, I just ran some wide cello tape around the seals.

20240208_095558.thumb.jpg.7a715fc5ccc674b094e88284a50cfa22.jpg

• Like 1