Coopers Community

To kit or not to kit.

That is the question.

i really need to get stock up fast, so i am thinking of using making the most of the 30+ temps and use the sachet of Kveik I have around and christen the FermZilla with a quick and dirty brew with no temp control or cold crashing. I do have two cubes with wort here but I also have the same beers in the FV atm. So I was thinking about a k&k as a quick fix. Something like a TC Bootmaker’s Pale Ale with a can of Coopers Pale Malt. But looking at the prices, we’re getting into FWK territory. I haven’t made a kit brew in at least 3 years and the last one I made I experience the infamous home brew twang for the first time. So I am a little reluctant to go down that path. In the other hand, a lot of people do AG and kit without any dramas. Given the experiences I had so far with Kveik, I don’t expect more than a keg filler. So, should I go ahead? Should I get an FWK? Do tempted but so unsure 😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

That is the question.

i really need to get stock up fast, so i am thinking of using making the most of the 30+ temps and use the sachet of Kveik I have around and christen the FermZilla with a quick and dirty brew with no temp control or cold crashing. I do have two cubes with wort here but I also have the same beers in the FV atm. So I was thinking about a k&k as a quick fix. Something like a TC Bootmaker’s Pale Ale with a can of Coopers Pale Malt. But looking at the prices, we’re getting into FWK territory. I haven’t made a kit brew in at least 3 years and the last one I made I experience the infamous home brew twang for the first time. So I am a little reluctant to go down that path. In the other hand, a lot of people do AG and kit without any dramas. Given the experiences I had so far with Kveik, I don’t expect more than a keg filler. So, should I go ahead? Should I get an FWK? Do tempted but so unsure 😀

FWK hands down your getting an AG beer for about the same price no mucking around straight into the FV and pitch the yeast

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

FWK hands down your getting an AG beer for about the same price no mucking around straight into the FV and pitch the yeast

It's a catch 22 IMO, the FWK is probably going to taste better given that it is kegged, as would the k & K, both take about the same amount of time to ferment.

If you need beer quick, find out whether you have a place in your territory if there is anyone that fills kegs, they are usually gassed up ready to go, at least it is beer!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

That is the question.

With my dead fridge, I started to think during the week, maybe I could still do a Kveik brew in it.  I might need to time the cold crash for when the brew fridge is available.

A Thomas Coopers Series can and a Liquid Extract can be done under $40, unless you want to throw some dry hops at it.  I still do the odd kit 'n' kilo type brew.  I do not seem to pick up kit twang, so I am probably lucky.  I recommend going for it.  If you are concerned about twang, maybe a FWK is the way to go for $10-15 extra.

So for myself, I am now thinking a can of Real Ale, a can of Wheat Liquid Malt, a hop steep of Centennial or Nectaron (both of which I have) and Kveik yeast. 

• Like 5

I make both if I don’t have time for a brew day. I tend to age most brews for a while (a month or so, longer for high octane ones). No HB twang for quite a while, maybe it’s luck too.

Last weekend I got out three different IPA recipes from the ROTM in record time, so > 60 litres.

I’ve decided to bottle a bit more too, to get some travellers.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do not seem to pick up kit twang, so I am probably lucky. 

That's a good point Shamus, I have noticed that myself, when I look back over the years I probably would have not noticed or denied that the 'twang' was there but recently I was reminded about it when a mate of a mate gave me a couple of bottles of his home brew, one was a lager, the other a stout.

It would be unfair to criticise however it was very much noticeable.  The overall body & structure of the brews were OK, but you were left with the aftertaste. 

He tried a few of mine & he said he could notice the difference & asked me to comment.

I questioned his bottle conditioning & storage methods & he virtually admitted the go wherever they fit which could possibly have something to do with it.

Another reason according to some, improperly stored or poor-quality liquid malt extract can also contribute to the dreaded twang.

I suggested he try Dry Malt Extract & mix it thoroughly to test for differences.

The 2 beers I have just kegged are kit brews & they taste pretty good but the only bottles I use now are Growlers.

I reckon Thomas Coopers Malt Extract is one of the best, but it is important that it has been stored correctly & is inside the best before date.

• Like 4

I forget what topic it was on I think it was one of the beginner threads that people were commenting on. Remember when Frank reminded everyone about bagging coopers home brew tins and the Kit Twang? Said he was growing tired of it and if continued members could find a new forum.

Only trying to remind everyone just so it does not go too far, he seems to be cracking down on it lately and all the arguments. As well as other things like bagging competitors and things that none of us had heard of or been told about before.

Not trying to be bossy guys but I don't think this thread will go down very well come next week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I forget what topic it was on I think it was one of the beginner threads that people were commenting on. Remember when Frank reminded everyone about bagging coopers home brew tins and the Kit Twang? Said he was growing tired of it and if continued members could find a new forum.

Only trying to remind everyone just so it does not go too far, he seems to be cracking down on it lately and all the arguments. As well as other things like bagging competitors and things that none of us had heard of or been told about before.

Not trying to be bossy guys but I don't think this thread will go down very well come next week.

I'm not gonna say one way or the other whether Cooper's extracts specifically have twang, but other brands I've tried give similar flavours, for better or worse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm not gonna say one way or the other whether Cooper's extracts specifically have twang, but other brands I've tried give similar flavours, for better or worse.

Everything Classic covered about being stored cool is everything frank said on the day he lost it. I'm not trying to act like I have never done anything wrong or been drawn into anything. Just a reminder that he might not take kindly to this as has warned on it in the past. 

• Like 1

I have a question that relates to extract cans and perhaps is useful here.

Do we know how long the best before date is set after the can is canned? Eg is the extract canned and then the Bb date is set for 12 months after canning date?

only because when checking the cans I don’t know what’s a good length of time before the BB date that indicates it’s as “fresh” as possible. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

I have a question that relates to extract cans and perhaps is useful here.

Do we know how long the best before date is set after the can is canned? Eg is the extract canned and then the Bb date is set for 12 months after canning date?

only because when checking the cans I don’t know what’s a good length of time before the BB date that indicates it’s as “fresh” as possible. 

Good question, I would have thought the BF date starts when it was printed on the can. There is no alarm that is going to sound when the last day is up, however it seems the longer it is stored it will contribute to darker coloured brews.

We all hope that the LHBS has stored them responsibly & of course there is that other point about buying cans reduced to clear as they are normally past the BF date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1