Coopers Community

What Do Ya Do For A Crust?

Pale Man

12 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Wow, that would make for some interesting conversations, awesome.

The family is so big and spread out across the country I have cousins I've never even met yet.

• Like 1

Been working in IT for 35 years in various roles. Software Engineer, Sys Admin, Networking Engineer, Support Tech, you name it, I've done it 🙂 Currently, I am semi-retired for health reasons. I threw it all in last year due to mental health concerns and physical health issues. On the mend and almost ready to join the workforce again. Maybe part-time to start with and as far away from computers as humanly possible. I haven't enjoyed working in that field for the last 10 years and I don't think I ever will again. Just a cushy job on the factory floor will do nicely or maybe as a shopper in Coles/Woolies. I really don't care, just no IT.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Been working in IT for 35 years in various roles. Software Engineer, Sys Admin, Networking Engineer, Support Tech, you name it, I've done it 🙂 Currently, I am semi-retired for health reasons. I threw it all in last year due to mental health concerns and physical health issues. On the mend and almost ready to join the workforce again. Maybe part-time to start with and as far away from computers as humanly possible. I haven't enjoyed working in that field for the last 10 years and I don't think I ever will again. Just a cushy job on the factory floor will do nicely or maybe as a shopper in Coles/Woolies. I really don't care, just no IT.

Hey @Aussiekraut, thanks for sharing your story - so sorry to hear what probably started out as an interesting occupation ended up having such a negative impact on your wellbeing. I can definitely relate to that, but so pleasing to hear your on the mend and almost ready to dip the proverbial toe back into the world of work 😉

Given your knowledge and feedback you have provided on this forum I feel there must be something in the brewing world you could lend your hand to, or maybe it’s the welcoming person at Bunnings who points shoppers in the right direction (all the same thing for you I reckon) - Anyway all the best with whatever you decide AK

Till then - cheers n cold beers cobber 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:27 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Been working in IT for 35 years in various roles. Software Engineer, Sys Admin, Networking Engineer, Support Tech, you name it, I've done it 🙂

21 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

maybe it’s the welcoming person at Bunnings who points shoppers in the right direction (all the same thing for you I reckon) 

So what you are saying is AK should go from software to hardware? 😆
Thanks. I'll let myself out....

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Bang - you picked me like a boogie 😂🤣😂 and you and @Malter White should not miss your calling and get a stand up comedy gig somewhere @Beerdo 👏🙌😉🍺🍺🍺

Malter and I are inherently lazy. We don't even stand up for the national anthem let alone comedy.

• Haha 2

On 2/8/2024 at 12:23 PM, Hoppy81 said:

Awesome to read about everyone's careers, cheers for sharing, here's mine.

• After leaving School i was Employed by my Dad as a Rooftiler, did that for 10 years. I enjoyed the job, kept me very fit but after having 2 daughters it just wasn't paying enough For a family of 4. So the decision was to move from Whyalla S.A to Kalgoorlie W.A
  • Scored my first gig at Kambalda which was about 60km from Kalgoorlie as a Crusher Operator for Rapid crushing and screening. The Roster was ridiculous. i was working 8 days 5 nights 1 day off, then another 8 days on 5 days off and about 3 days off, then repeat that. (was supposed to get 7 days off but the turnover of people was insane, so we never got our full week off) had my 3rd daughter in Kalgoorlie and after 2 years we had enough of the roster. A job came up in the mines back in Whyalla, so i applied for it, they flew me back for an interview and when in the race with the other 70 candidates. I was lucky enough to get the position, they even paid to move us back.
  • I've been in this job (Crusher/Concentrator) Operator role for Onesteel/Arrium/Simec since 2007, 4 days, 4 nights then 8 off, love the roster which has enabled me to do my brewing gig on the side.  The job has also given me an abundance of tickets/licenses including several tickets in emergency response which gave me a cert 4 in Health care (Ambulance) and a few cert 2 and 3's.  Pays is also really good, which is really good as now i have 5 daughters, and now a granddaughter and soon to be a grandson haha
  • Three Chins Brewing is doing well too, currently in a couple of cafes on tap and just got into the Whyalla Airport in bottles. It's been a great journey so far and i'm only 43 🙂

Well, that's my story, thanks for listening.

Hoppy

I really enjoyed reading this Hoppster. Thanks for putting that up.

You and I worked together for a long while at the same place, not on the same crew most of the time, but we knew each others movements. We were always good with each other, but it was home brewing banter at work that kicked our friendship off. A friendship I'll treasure for life.

You know my reasons for changing my career path late in life, and I am proud of you for your path. You have a vision.........and you and your beautiful family are seeing that vision through. Whyalla needs more people like you to make it a better place.

Just on Grandkids, I was 42 when i had my first. You pipped me there bro 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I really enjoyed reading this Hoppster. Thanks for putting that up.

You and I worked together for a long while at the same place, not on the same crew most of the time, but we knew each others movements. We were always good with each other, but it was home brewing banter at work that kicked our friendship off. A friendship I'll treasure for life.

You know my reasons for changing my career path late in life, and I am proud of you for your path. You have a vision.........and you and your beautiful family are seeing that vision through. Whyalla needs more people like you to make it a better place.

Just on Grandkids, I was 42 when i had my first. You pipped me there bro 😁

It's great reading people journey's, glad you enjoyed my spill mate.

16 years we worked together, long time. 

Appreciate the nice words mate, been a huge process, let's see where it takes us.

I was 41.5yrs old, just got ya haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 3