Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I see the Mt Dare Hotel on your avatar, I suppose you have been there? I have been through there a few times myself on the way to the NT.

Yeah mate. Few years ago now but was probably my best camping trip to date. Did Ayres rock, west MacDonnell ranges, old Ghan track from Alice to Finke to mt dare to Dalhousie Oodnadatta to home. Was great 👌

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Heaps prefer a Carlton Draught but already told the pub I would take their last one before switched over to Beechworth Pale Ale.

20241018_162045.jpg

20241018_162051.jpg

i would have paid them double  to sink pour it 

Kegged my Coopers Australian Lager All Grain version tonight.  Part 1 of the 2 part All Grain versus Extract version of the same brew.

It finished well below the predicted FG of 1.010 at 1.004.  So a 4.6% beer in the keg.  5.0% in the bottle. of which I got 4 longnecks.

I have kept the yeast cake in the FV to pour an Extract version of the same brew on to it tomorrow:  Part 2 of the series.  

The beer was extremely clear after a 5 day ramp down to 0°C, fining with Biofine Clear, plus another 3 days at zero.  You can see the temperature well in the middle of the liquid in the photo below, plus the floating dip tube.

IMG_4673.thumb.JPG.2cacb9ba3919c2bb688342770321057a.JPG

I got a keg and a half plus 4 bottles

IMG_4674.JPG.635f1ac08a0c3231661d70c1b3f25739.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Coopers Australian Lager All Grain version tonight.  Part 1 of the 2 part All Grain versus Extract version of the same brew.

It finished well below the predicted FG of 1.010 at 1.004.  So a 4.6% beer in the keg.  5.0% in the bottle. of which I got 4 longnecks.

I have kept the yeast cake in the FV to pour an Extract version of the same brew on to it tomorrow:  Part 2 of the series.  

The beer was extremely clear after a 5 day ramp down to 0°C, fining with Biofine Clear, plus another 3 days at zero.  You can see the temperature well in the middle of the liquid in the photo below, plus the floating dip tube.

IMG_4673.thumb.JPG.2cacb9ba3919c2bb688342770321057a.JPG

I got a keg and a half plus 4 bottles

IMG_4674.JPG.635f1ac08a0c3231661d70c1b3f25739.JPG

I CC my allrounder at 10psi for 4 days which dropped down to 5psi during the CC so my question is how much dextrose do I prime my 750ml PET bottles if it is partly carbonated?

2 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I CC my allrounder at 10psi for 4 days which dropped down to 5psi during the CC so my question is how much dextrose do I prime my 750ml PET bottles if it is partly carbonated?

I cannot really answer that question. 

Similarly, my brew dropped to around 5psi (from 15psi) during cold crashing.  I pumped it back up with jolts of 10psi from my CO2 tank.  If I didn't, I am sure it would have reduced to a vacuum. 

The beer in the FV was partly carbonated.  I could not fill the bottles to my usual level because they had more foam in them than usual.  I actually used my usual priming rate of 8g of sugar per litre (so 1 & 1/2 teaspoons per longneck).

I figure, although there was some carbonation in the beer, the fermentation carbonation plus 8g per litre priming will still be within the safe range for PET bottles. 

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Similarly, my brew dropped to around 5psi (from 15psi) during cold crashing.  I pumped it back up with jolts of 10psi from my CO2 tank.  If I didn't, I am sure it would have reduced to a vacuum. 

The beer in the FV was partly carbonated.  I could not fill the bottles to my usual level because they had more foam in them than usual.  I actually used my usual priming rate of 8g of sugar per litre (so 1 & 1/2 teaspoons per longneck).

I figure, although there was some carbonation in the beer, the fermentation carbonation plus 8g per litre priming will still be within the safe range for PET bottles. 

Thanks for that I have the scoop with the 750ml measure and stubble measure so I'll just go with the 750ml scoop

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon if your FV stayed at 5psi you would be ok if it drops into negative that's when you will get the vacuum 

Yep, that's what I would do.  As long as you do not go overboard with carbonation levels, you should be safe from bottle bombs.

If I was making a Stout or something for long term storage, I would use half as much sugar.  I do that with some of the bottles of Coopers Vintage Ale that I intend to keep for over 6 months.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep, that's what I would do.  As long as you do not go overboard with carbonation levels, you should be safe from bottle bombs.

If I was making a Stout or something for long term storage, I would use half as much sugar.  I do that with some of the bottles of Coopers Vintage Ale that I intend to keep for over 6 months.

And do you still force carb at 40psi for 24hrs being partly carbonated? Pressure fermenting is all new to me and still working it all out