Coopers Community

What Formula do you use?

Hello guys I'm often conflicted in what I decide the alcohol of my beer is. 

I realise there is error in everything anyway but just wondering how others do the calculation. 

OG minus FG multiply by 131.25. Or as my last brew get rid if the decimal point and zero. 

35 ÷ 7.46? 

With low alcohol the difference is not much but it can be with high ABV brews.

I go OG-FG x 0.131 for most* of my beers, however the multiplier changes depending on the strength/difference between OG an FG. It could be 0.129 or 0.133.

I found this info on the HM revenue website in relation to ABV for commercial breweries.

*Most of mine fall in the 4.6-6% range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I go OG-FG x 0.131 for most* of my beers, however the multiplier changes depending on the strength/difference between OG an FG. It could be 0.129 or 0.133.

I found this info on the HM revenue website in relation to ABV for commercial breweries.

*Most of mine fall in the 4.6-6% range.

so for your 4.6 to 6% range you always use 0.131 that's good to know. I once read the variation only changes with really high abv beers

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

so for your 4.6 to 6% range you always use 0.131 that's good to know. I once read the variation only changes with really high abv beers

Yeah. Like this pils started at 1.049, it'll probably finish about 1.011, so 38 x 0.131 = 4.97 or close enough to 5% ABV. 

I can't remember the reason why it changes depending on strength, it is explained on that website. I suppose they have to be more precise commercially. For us it probably doesn't matter that much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah. Like this pils started at 1.049, it'll probably finish about 1.011, so 38 x 0.131 = 4.97 or close enough to 5% ABV. 

I can't remember the reason why it changes depending on strength, it is explained on that website. I suppose they have to be more precise commercially. For us it probably doesn't matter that much. 

yeah that's it always variation in everything and calibration etc.

• Like 2