Coopers Community

Who has tried these?

Oldbloke

T Coopers Devils Half Ruby Porter

T Coopers Family Secret Amber

I rather prefer malty darkish ales such as Coopers Dark Ale and Kilkenny

Just planing on adding 700g of Amber DME plus 100g of corn syrup. I figure this will result in about 4.0% ABV

How did you like them?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I rather prefer malty darkish ales such as Coopers Dark Ale and Kilkenny

Just planing on adding 700g of Amber DME plus 100g of corn syrup. I figure this will result in about 4.0% ABV

How did you like them?

I have done the Coopers Devils Half Ruby Porter in a few recipes:

• Toasted Coconut Porter
  • Caribbean Porter
  • Island Toasted Coconut Porter
  • Belgian Chocolate Stout

The Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale has been in all the recent Coopers Vintage Ale recipes.  I also used it in the Roger Roger Amber Ale.

All turned out great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

@Shamus O'Sean thx mate. Ill see if the LHBS has them in stock tomorrow. Im due for a change. 🙃

Actually, I just checked.  The Roger Roger Ale does not use the Family Secret Amber.  However, I used it in a two-can with Australian Pale Ale, made up to 25 litres for a 4.6% ABV beer.  I called it Roger Roger Amber Ale.  Subtly different from the Coopers recipe, but close enough.  My recipe was:

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale 
1.7kg Family Secret Amber Ale 
200g Light Dry Malt 
25g Topaz Hops (20min steep) 
25g Vic Secret Hops (20min steep) 
2 x Brew Can Yeasts 
25g Topaz Hops dry addition 
25g Vic Secret Hops dry addition

• Like 1

While i was at the LHBS they had this on special. $14.50. So couldnt resist a bargain and grabed a can.

But,,, i now see instructions say:

1. add water to only make up to 24PINTS. (14ltrs)

OR

2.  Add 1kg sugar (ill use LDME) and make 23 litres?

Insructions give both options.

What do you think?

Resized_20231027_124555.thumb.jpeg.ef5ba170b0e17ecb0cbc14d3a2da84fd.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

While i was at the LHBS they had this on special. $14.50. So couldnt resist a bargain and grabed a can.

OR

What do you think?

Without seeing the volume on the can, I would suggest it is a craft can of extract 1.3 litres designed for 13.5litres in the craft fermenter, so adding water to that level will give you a full flavoured beer.

Adding 250-500gm of LDME would boost it up a bit.

If you stretched it to 23 litres you would have a very low ABV beer.

OR

What do you think?

It would probably make a nice Red or Brown Ale.  Barley Wine (Barleywine to some) is a high ABV brew.  In fact it is rich in most senses of the word.  Basically a beer the strength of wine.  OG 1.080 - 1.120; FG 1.018 - 1.030; IBU 35 - 70; ABV 8 - 12%.  You will not get those numbers with options 1 or 2 as the suggested recipe.  More like 1: OG 1.033; ABV 4.1% and 2: OG 1.038 and ABV 5% with 1kg sugar or OG 1.036 and ABV 4.4% with 1kg LDM.

If you want it more like Barelywine, brew to 23 litres, and add 1kg LDM, 1kg Sugar/Dextrose and 1.5kg of Amber Liquid Malt for OG 1.074 and ABV 8.3%.  The unknown is how much hop bitterness is in the can.  My guess is not enough for that ABV.  I suggest boiling around 100g of East Kent Golding or Fuggles in 5 litres of water with 500g of LDM for 30 minutes giving an IBU boost of about 25.  Also throw another yeast at it.  In addition to the brew can yeast add any commercial ale yeast: US-05, S-04, Nottingham, etc.

I was also thinking how you go down the path of option 1.  However, because it would have to be brewed to around 6 litres to get an ABV of around 8%, the bitterness from the can would be overpowering because it was not diluted enough.  The numbers suggest an IBU over 200.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

OR

What do you think?

I would suggest going with option 1, just so you can see what the original intended brew tastes like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I would suggest going with option 1, just so you can see what the original intended brew tastes like.

That's what I would do, after all it is a Craft size can 13.638 litres to be precise, messing with the manufacturer's instructions will not deliver the intended brew.

I am sure the info would be on the back of the can.

An extra strong beer for the special occasion – drink unchilled to fully appreciate its rich body and flavour. Not a wine but named for its strength, this extra strong beer is perfect for special occasions – serve by the nipOG 1060° to 1064°.

Product Details

Product Code
Weight (Kg)
1.5kg
Brewing Volume (L)
13.6 / 24 pints
ABV approx (% vol.)
6.0%
Colour
Reddish Amber
Hop / Key Ingredient
Medium
Malt
Medium to High
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, Oldbloke said:

I've done the Amber a few times but always found it a bit sweet for my tastes.

Also, the Devil's Porter, but I steeped the grains badly and it had some off flavors, which have subsided with time, over 12 months in the bottle now, and there are still a few left.

• Like 1

1.thumb.jpg.b932b76cf650dc9241457520a100302d.jpg

Here is the Devil's half ruby porter, albeit I added it to a full 5kg AG mash. It came out at 6%. Not too bad - a very nice morning tea drink whilst doing a brew on this fine Saturday Morning! 😂

Next time I will just do the brew as a basic K&K to see how it turns out. Definitely worth a trip to the LHBS imo if you like the style of beer👍🏻

photo came out a little wishy washy for some reason, the brew is quite dark actually.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I've done the Amber a few times but always found it a bit sweet for my tastes.

Also, the Devil's Porter, but I steeped the grains badly and it had some off flavors, which have subsided with time, over 12 months in the bottle now, and there are still a few left.

@DavidM thx david i do prefer malty or sweetish. So looking forward to the Secret Amber. Do recall your complete recipe?

• Like 1

@Oldbloke I just cracked another to give an approximate appraisal. 😂.. been drinking pils all day whilst brewing, but after those I can say the devil's plus a full mash (no hops, just the kit for bittering) which would probably be equivalent to adding a kilo of ldme produced mild bittering, and if I get what you mean by "sweetish", then yes a little bit more malty/sweeter than the stout. Even comparing to Coopers commercial stout or guinness extra stout, both these kits are a winner imo. In fact I will rush down to the local bottlo soon (at the speed limit) when I am sober enough to lay my hands on both beers to compare. Note, I have only done one brew of each, but next time I'm at the LHBS I will pick up a couple of kits.

• Like 1

@DavidM thx david i do prefer malty or sweetish. So looking forward to the Secret Amber. Do recall your complete recipe?

Sadly No, it's on my backup drive and it's not responding right now, will have to work on it during the week. Will get back to You!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got this going today.

Being a KISS bloke.......

Brewing to 18 liters

Used can yeast only

500g Ale DME

100g ELDME (need to use it up)

100g of corn syrup

Hydrometer suggests about 4.2% ABV which suites me.

Will report back in about 3 months. 😃

• Like 4