Coopers Community

GALAXY SMASH

davids47

10 hours ago, davids47 said:

looking at wanting to make a SMASH beer with dry malt and use galaxy hops , to make 10lt

any one got a recipe that would work .

You could try something like this:

Best to start with 11.5 litres in the boil because you will boil off about 1.5 litres leaving you with your target 10 litres.  Alternatively boil 10 litres and whatever boils off, top up back to 10 litres in the fermenter before adding yeast.  Having about 1.5 litres of water, frozen in a sanitised plastic container, will help cool down the boiling wort. 

This brew will get you around 4.8% in a keg or about 5.2% primed in bottles.

image.thumb.png.2274a1fc6ac725a4a5303799d6449bad.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You could try something like this:

Best to start with 11.5 litres in the boil because you will boil off about 1.5 litres leaving you with your target 10 litres.  Alternatively boil 10 litres and whatever boils off, top up back to 10 litres in the fermenter before adding yeast.  Having about 1.5 litres of water, frozen in a sanitised plastic container, will help cool down the boiling wort. 

This brew will get you around 4.8% in a keg or about 5.2% primed in bottles.

image.thumb.png.2274a1fc6ac725a4a5303799d6449bad.png

Hey Shamus as Galaxy is a little bit harsh on the bitterness side would something like this  be a little more conservative as ben10/interceptor/ do not consume said let the whirlpool do the talking. The reason I say this as I  made a pacific ale once and put more Galaxy in than the recipe stated I drank about 3/4 and tipped the rest. This is what I came up with on Brewfather for 10litres and also a hopping schedule made by small batch brewing for 5 litres for the pacific ale which you double for 10litres. What’s your thoughts?

IMG_6420.png

IMG_1673.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tone boy said:

How much would you put in whirlpool for a 23 litre batch DNC?

Having a look through beersmith I have done 30g/30g Galaxy Nelson and 20g/30g Galaxy  Enigma - whirlpool only not bittering addition in a 20 litre batch

I recall they were very good beer

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tone boy said:

How much would you put in whirlpool for a 23 litre batch DNC? If that was the only bittering addition?

I just ran some numbers through Beersmith and it reckons a 50g Galaxy (18%AA) whirlpool at 90C should yield about 24IBU in a 10l batch. So it'll work. When using Galaxy as a bittering hop, I wouldn't use more than 5g for a full batch. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Galaxy is a little bit harsh on the bitterness side

Hey @RDT2 & @davids47 supposedly that is true.  However, I do not have any evidence to prove or deny it.  The longest boil I did with Galaxy was in a Summer Session Ale.  Coincidently, it was a SMASH brew.  23 litre batch.  22g Galaxy at 20 minutes; 22g Galaxy at 10 minutes; 14g Galaxy hot steep at 80°C for 20 minutes; Dry hop 50g Galaxy for 3 days.  24 IBU in a 5% beer.  I did not notice harshness in the bitterness.  Reduce the amounts to 45% of mine if doing a 10 litre batch.

I really like the idea of doing a Whirlpool only Galaxy hopped batch.  It seems it would deliver tons of flavour and a good bitterness as well.  I did similar a while ago doing The Home Brew Network's Rattenhund Pislner clone:  100g Saaz and 100g Spalter Select hot steep at 97°C for 25 minutes.  Supposedly 40 IBU.  Tasted great with lovely aromas and flavours.  Think intense spicy herbal aroma.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, do not consume said:

Having a look through beersmith I have done 30g/30g Galaxy Nelson and 20g/30g Galaxy  Enigma - whirlpool only not bittering addition in a 20 litre batch

I recall they were very good beer

Thanks heaps @do not consume  
I think you used to whirlpool immediately after the boil IIRC…so 99 degrees C and dropping?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@RDT2 just to clarify in that hop schedule, is that saying to dry hop after 6 days in FV or dry hop for 6 days?

I would read it as a 6 day dry hop towards the end or at the end of fermentation but i would do it personally only for 4 as galaxy is meant to give off vegetal flavours (so i have read) if left in for too long! I can’t comment on that as i have always been conservative with galxy only doing 4 days as i haven’t wanted to risk it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1