Coopers Community

Brewing temp

TheWarren

59 minutes ago, TheWarren said:

Hi all,

I'm going to brew a larger with Saflarger S23 yeast at 12degrees.

What temp should I have the wort before pitching around the 18 to 22 thalen chill it, or chill it and pitch at 12 degrees?

Personally, I would pitch at 20c or just above but here is the technical data.

Fermentis by Lesaffre SafLager™ S-23 Yeast is a lager yeast that lends hoppy, estery, and even fruity flavors to your beer. Give your brews a perfect balance of flavors and aromas that will tantalize the senses. Have you brewed a beer that you cannot wait to taste? Let Fermentis by Lesaffre SafLager™ S-23 Yeast provide the perfect finish.

Fermentis by Lesaffre Saflager S-23 lager yeast is the solution for fruity and hoppy lagers. SafLager™ S‑23 bottom fermenting brewer’s yeast originates from Berlin in Germany. SafLager S-23 recommended for the production of fruitier and more estery lagers. Its profile gives beers with a good length on the palate.

Pack Sizes:

• 11.5g Sachets

Fermentation temperature:

• Ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)

Total Esters

• Low
  • 37 ppm at 18°P at 12°C during the first 48h of fermentation then 14°C in EBC tubes

Total Superior Alcohols

• Low
  • 177 ppm at 18°P at 12°C during the first 48h of fermentation then 14°C in EBC tubes

Apparent Attenuation

• High
  • 80 - 84%

Residual Sugars

• 8 g/l* *4g maltotriose/L corresponding to an apparent attenuation of 82%

Flocculation

• +

Sedimentation time

• Fast

Alcohol tolerance

• 9 - 11%

Dosage instructions:

• 80 to 120 g/hl (16-24g per 20L homebrew length) for fermentation at 12°C – 15°C (53.6-59°F).

Rehydration instructions:

1. Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 21 to 25 °C (70°F to 77°F).
  2. Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
  3. Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively,

1. Pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F).
  2. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps.
  3. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition.

INGREDIENTS:

Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), emulsifier E491

Typical analysis:

SafLager-S-23
  • % dry weight: 94.0 – 96.5
  • Viable cells at packaging: > 6 x 109 /g
  • Total bacteria*: < 5 / ml
  • Acetic acid bacteria*: < 1 / ml
  • Lactobacillus*: < 1 / ml
  • Pediococcus*: < 1 / ml
  • Wild yeast non Saccharomyces*: < 1 / ml
  • Pathogenic micro-organisms: in accordance with regulation
*when dry yeast is pitched at 100 g/hl i.e. > 6 x 106 viable cells / m

Storage

• 36 months from production date.
  • During transport: The product can be transported and stored at room temperature for periods of time not exceeding 3 months without affecting its performance.
  • At final destination: Store in cool (< 10°C/50°F), dry conditions.

Shelf life

Refer to best before end date printed on the sachet. Opened sachets must be sealed and stored at 4°C (39°F) and used within 7 days of opening. Do not use soft or damaged sachets.

• Like 4

My opinion but unless you are pressure fermenting then starting cool even below your ferment temp gives a much much better result than starting high and bringing down the temp. Flavours will come from the cell multiplication phase which is in the first 24 hours or so. If you want a clean and crisp lager then you want to start at a low temp with a big yeast pitch. 

S23 i havent used in at least 5 years. I didnt like it.  As @Classic Brewing Co had in his post "SafLager S-23 recommended for the production of fruitier and more estery lagers." 

Thats the truth. Fruity as hell was my memory of it. If you like fruity then the pitch high and bring down will work. If you like clean and crisp. Big pitch of yeast at low temp.

• Like 3

I agree with greeny, which is pretty much what the article suggests as well. 

I just wish they'd stop with the external temp controllers "overriding" the fridge thermostat nonsense. They can't and don't. They're pretty much an electronic automatic version of someone standing at the power point flicking the switch on and off. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I agree with greeny, which is pretty much what the article suggests as well. 

I just wish they'd stop with the external temp controllers "overriding" the fridge thermostat nonsense. They can't and don't. They're pretty much an electronic automatic version of someone standing at the power point flicking the switch on and off. 

Yeah, I thought that was lazy phrasing. I much prefer your analogy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's always bugged me when people say that. The controllers just cut the power or vice versa, that's it. It's why the light doesn't come on if you open it when the cooling function is off. 

Agree 100%.  Setting a temperature controller to -20°C and plugging in your fridge will not make it cool to -20°C.  The fridge will only go as low as it will go.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shamus O&#x27;Sean said:

Agree 100%.  Setting a temperature controller to -20°C and plugging in your fridge will not make it cool to -20°C.  The fridge will only go as low as it will go.

I actually do that with the old kegerator that I use for fermentation now 😂 

At its lowest setting it gets the brews down to about 2 degrees which is fine for a cold crash, but if I set the controller to that, it turns it off then the kegerator resets its own temperature setting when it turns back on and it warms up several degrees. So I just set it to -30 or something ridiculous so it just runs like the controller isn't there. 

• Like 3