Coopers Community

Coopers Recipe Database Question?

NorthStar

4 hours ago, NorthStar said:

When I click on a recipe in the spreadsheet the link opens up to a web page saying WHOOPS, THE PAGE YOU REQUESTED WAS NOT FOUND. Is there a way around this. I live in Canada not sure if that matters. Thanks in advance.

Usually that is a browser compatibility issue or the actual program you are using doesn't support the file type you are trying to open.

Maybe a right click to see if you can get the option "Open With" & choose another program.

• Like 1

Which version are you trying to download? There are two current versions, V2xxxxx and V3xxxxx.  They are both Excel spreadsheets. V2 is the one @Shamus O'Sean has been updating and V3 is an enhanced version @Triple B Brewing recently created.

It could be a geo-blocking issue as @DavidM says, I know Shamus usually posts International versions of the Recipes of the Month, but it would be worth trying another browser as Phil suggests.

7 hours ago, NorthStar said:

When I click on a recipe in the spreadsheet the link opens up to a web page saying WHOOPS, THE PAGE YOU REQUESTED WAS NOT FOUND. Is there a way around this. I live in Canada not sure if that matters. Thanks in advance.

Hi NorthStar, For some reason overseas folks cannot open the recipe pages.  A VPN might help.

@Kegory is correct, I have also posted a Topic Page with a pdf for most recipes since early 2020.  Search on the recipe name.  But make sure to search on the name as a phrase.

If you want an older recipe, you could post a request and I am sure somebody would fix you up with a pdf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean@Kegory and @DavidM 

Great work around Shamus 👍🏻

You’ll find the pdf copies for the corresponding recipe on the far right hand side of the Recipe Worksheet @NorthStar Sing out if you need further info 🍺🍺

Apologies @NorthStar, I have given you the incorrect info. You will not find a pdf copy of the corresponding recipe on the far right hand side of the Recipe Worksheet 🤥 

You should follow @Shamus O'Sean's directions and search for the recipe by name and you should find what you are looking for. - Apologies for any confusion caused (and I haven't even had a beer yet ! 😉)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Apologies @NorthStar, I have given you the incorrect info. You will not find a pdf copy of the corresponding recipe on the far right hand side of the Recipe Worksheet 🤥 

You should follow @Shamus O'Sean's directions and search for the recipe by name and you should find what you are looking for. - Apologies for any confusion caused (and I haven't even had a beer yet ! 😉)

Actually @Triple B Brewing, you are at least partly correct.  I forgot about that feature in the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.  

@NorthStar, you can access the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet here.  In the far right of the spreadsheet there is a column called "Recipe pdf".  If the word "Yes" is in the row for the relevant recipe, clicking on "Yes" should open the Forum Topic Page for that recipe which will have a pdf version of the recipe that you can download. 

It might be easier to find the recipe you are after that way, rather than searching as I described above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Actually @Triple B Brewing, you are at least partly correct.  I forgot about that feature in the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet.  

@NorthStar, you can access the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet here.  In the far right of the spreadsheet there is a column called "Recipe pdf".  If the word "Yes" is in the row for the relevant recipe, clicking on "Yes" should open the Forum Topic Page for that recipe which will have a pdf version of the recipe that you can download. 

It might be easier to find the recipe you are after that way, rather than searching as I described above.

You are a dead set Legend @Shamus O'Sean ✅✅👏🍺

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NorthStar said:

Hey Shamus,

Don't mean to be troubling you but I downloaded the recipe spreadsheet (all good) found a recipe that had a YES for recipe, downloaded the recipe but could not open it. It said restricted access.

Thanks NorthStar 

Hey @NorthStar, not sure why you are being restricted to access the downloaded pdf  - I’m gonna guess and suggest that it’s to do with a setting Coopers have had to put in place for those accessing their website outside of Australia (just a total guess 🤔)

Anyway, if you let me know the name of the recipe you are after I would be glad to try and help you out. 🍺🍺

Regards,

Vince 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @NorthStar, not sure why you are being restricted to access the downloaded pdf  - I’m gonna guess and suggest that it’s to do with a setting Coopers have had to put in place for those accessing their website outside of Australia (just a total guess 🤔)

Anyway, if you let me know the name of the recipe you are after I would be glad to try and help you out. 🍺🍺

Regards,

Vince 

There was a spam attack that rendered the site useless for a few days about a month or so ago. Maybe it's an artefact of the beefed up security.

10 minutes ago, Kegory said:

There was a spam attack that rendered the site useless for a few days about a month or so ago. Maybe it's an artefact of the beefed up security.

Yeah I'm not sure @Kegory, Its a bit weird that @NorthStar can download and open the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet that @Shamus O'Sean maintains and also open a link from within the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet a recipe pdf, but that downloaded pdf wont open 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

I think that the problems that @NorthStar is having accessing the recipes has nothing to do with browsers, etc, it is because the recipes section of the Coopers website use geoblocking for countries outside Australia. This is the reason that @Shamus O'Sean posts links to recipes that those outside Australia can access.

He tried to download one of those pdf's from the spreadsheet and couldn't get it.

3 minutes ago, Kegory said:

He tried to download one of those pdf's from the spreadsheet and couldn't get it.

Yes, that is possibly caused by the link being geoblocked as he is outside Australia. Pretty sure that the spreadsheet that @Shamus O'Sean maintains just links recipes back to the Coopers website which uses geoblocking.

11 hours ago, NorthStar said:

Hey Shamus,

Don't mean to be troubling you but I downloaded the recipe spreadsheet (all good) found a recipe that had a YES for recipe, downloaded the recipe but could not open it. It said restricted access.

Thanks NorthStar 

Hey @NorthStar, others have have given some great advice.  Let us know which recipe it is and we should be able to repost it. 

Maybe there is an issue with the link in the spreadsheet

I did a quick check of the Azacca-Cadabra Pale Ale recipe from a month ago.  It did work, but that might be because

• I created the spreadsheet
  • I accessed it on my computer, and
  • I am in Australia

When the page below opened, I click on the circled file to get the pdf, not the red hyperlink.  The hyperlink is to the recipe on the Coopers website, so being outside Australia, you probably cannot open that link.

Very strange that you can download the spreadsheet file and open it, and although you can download the recipe pdf, you cannot open it.

image.png.26cdaeea1689388cb1e987508c8ed7f2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Yes, that is possibly caused by the link being geoblocked as he is outside Australia. Pretty sure that the spreadsheet that @Shamus O'Sean maintains just links recipes back to the Coopers website which uses geoblocking.

Hey @kmar92

Yep sure, but that doesn't account for @NorthStar being able to successfully download and access the spreadsheet from the "community.diybeer.com site".

So there is a difference, but not sure at this point why access to one works (the spreadsheet), but the other (a downloaded pdf) doesn’t.

Using the recipe “Atlantis Amber Ale” from the spreadsheet as an example: the link used in column A which contains the recipe name points straight to the www.diybeer.com site: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/atlantis-amber-ale.html which is inaccessible for @NorthStar (an outside of Oz user).

However the link used within the spreadsheet to Shamus’s pdf of the recipe is via the community.diybeer.com site: https://community.diybeer.com/topic/15706-atlantis-amber-ale-february-2021-craft-recipe-of-the-month/ (this is the same part of the website (ie; community.diybeer.com site) where @NorthStar is able to access (as an outside Oz user).

So, not sure which recipe @NorthStar has downloaded from Shamus's spreadsheet and is unable to open (once he has successfully downloaded), but once we have this info, I'm hoping we will be able to get to understand what the issue is and then shed some understanding for all.

Cheers ! 🍺

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @NorthStar, others have have given some great advice.  Let us know which recipe it is and we should be able to repost it. 

I did a quick check of the Azacca-Cadabra Pale Ale recipe from a month ago.  It did work, but that might be because

• I am in Australia

When the page below opened, I click on the circled file to get the pdf, not the red hyperlink.  The hyperlink is to the recipe on the Coopers website, so being outside Australia, you probably cannot open that link.

Very strange that you can download the spreadsheet file and open it, and although you can download the recipe pdf, you cannot open it.

Bang on cobber !

8 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @kmar92

Yep sure, but that doesn't account for @NorthStar being able to successfully download and access the spreadsheet from the "community.diybeer.com site".

So there is a difference, but not sure at this point why access to one works (the spreadsheet), but the other (a downloaded pdf) doesn’t.

Using the recipe “Atlantis Amber Ale” from the spreadsheet as an example: the link used in column A which contains the recipe name points straight to the www.diybeer.com site: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/atlantis-amber-ale.html which is inaccessible for @NorthStar (an outside of Oz user).

However the link used within the spreadsheet to Shamus’s pdf of the recipe is via the community.diybeer.com site: https://community.diybeer.com/topic/15706-atlantis-amber-ale-february-2021-craft-recipe-of-the-month/ (this is the same part of the website (ie; community.diybeer.com site) where @NorthStar is able to access (as an outside Oz user).

So, not sure which recipe @NorthStar has downloaded from Shamus's spreadsheet and is unable to open (once he has successfully downloaded), but once we have this info, I'm hoping we will be able to get to understand what the issue is and then shed some understanding for all.

Cheers ! 🍺

Bang on cobber !

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

The recipe name links to the Coopers DIY recipe but some (the later recipes that Shamus created a pdf for people outside of Australia) have a pdf link. That link is in one of the last columns of the spreadsheet.

Edited by Kegory

45 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• I am in Australia

I just tried that with the link to the Atlantis Amber Ale. It worked for me. It didn't the first time because it loaded into my default browser (not the one I'm using now) and I wasn't signed in there. Once I signed in I was able to download it.

• Like 1