Coopers Community

tap or bottle water?

MLTZER

Much of a muchness really I use a 3 stage filter system that removes chlorine from my water plus any sediment like rust dirt etc I used my own filtered water but some use water from the shops. I am yet to taste my beer that i used my filtered water on but i also have a good ph of around the 5 - 6 range which is pretty good for tap water. I personally won't drink the tap water without filtering it but they do say as long as you can't smell or taste the chlorine and it is drinkable its all good.

well to be honest its up to the individual but makin a 23 litre brew with tap water is much cheaper than buying the water for the wort.

up until a year ago i was living in western suburbs melb never had a bad beer taste from using that water in fact in the old days beer was made because the water was bad and fermentation cleans that up.

Either way now i live on Murray river my water comes from there the town has a simple filtering plant but when i moved here i was sick from drinking the water for at least a month. at the same time first week i was here i brewed a standard recepie OS Lager and drank it after 14 days in bottle and was not sick while drinking it. so im sure bought water would be better to some degree but whether or not its noticable depends on the individual.

i was at Woolworths yesterday and couldn't help but notice 15 litres of bottled water for 8 bucks. i know thousands of brewers just use tap water, and i think Canberra tap water is supposed to be pretty clean, but i think if i can get away with it for 8 bucks and just use 6 or so litres of boiled and cooled water (or just by 3 bottles if i'm making two batches back to back), i'm going to have so much more confidence that it's clean.

i haven't tried it yet - i just wanted to put it out there that bottled water doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg if you have doubts.

You need to ne aware though that boiled.water has.had the oxygen removed which the yeast need during the budding stage, if using boiled water you.will need to aerate prior.to pitching yeast.. Id also tread.with caution with filtered water...

Yob

You need to ne aware though that boiled.water has.had the oxygen removed which the yeast need during the budding stage' date=' if using boiled water you.will need to aerate prior.to pitching yeast.. Id also tread.with caution with filtered water...Yob[/quote']

Water filtration is a speciality of mine I wouldn't just use a standard carbon filter if that is what you mean you need .5 micron .1 micron and a 1 micron setup for the water to be drinkable in my opinion my tap water has a TDS (Total Dissoluble Solids) of around 140 when filtered it is around 50 tds roughly what the water you buy from the shops is i have a filter that removes the fluoride, chlorine and metals such as copper aluminium whilst another filters sediment like dirt, rust algae, and then acarbon filter to remove odors and bad tastes so the water is pretty close to pure and is basically what your going to buy anyhow so personally there is a lot involved with water purification but this is another interest/hobby of mine if you have more questions more than happy to answer them.

I started using filtered water but found standard tap water is fine. As others said here, just spend the money on other things that will make your beer improve so much more than the water source. If you can drink your tap water then just use that.

I suppose much of a muchness each to their own I do have to filter the water here otherwise I will get a nasty bug namely Gardia awful but the .1 micron removes that plus i rather not drink fluoride as I recently found out it is nasty stuff hydrofluorisic acid aparently can cause all sorts of health issues and frankly i rather my beer is fluoride free I am glad to know people do use straight tap water as in knowing that nearly any water can do as long as it isn't heavily chlorinated.

Anyone noticed most good breweries are at or on a well. So for me it's mineral water and here it's only 20p or so per litre you notice the benefits most it on lighter beers. Canadian Blonde much chrisper and a fruity background zest that doesn't happen with my tap water which some how turns it dull and boring almost musty. But we have flouride in our water here as well as chlorine yuk!

Anyone noticed most good breweries are at or on a well. So for me it's mineral water and here it's only 20p or so per litre you notice the benefits most it on lighter beers. Canadian Blonde much chrisper and a fruity background zest that doesn't happen with my tap water which some how turns it dull and boring almost musty. But we have flouride in our water here as well as chlorine yuk!

I only just found out that the only good thing about fluoride is it protects your teeth from plaque and decay, The scary side of it is that it can lead to bone cancer prostate issues also a illness called fluoridosis if that is how it is spelled. I am scratching my head to why they are putting this in the water if even people can get fluoride toxicity. However i either use my home made 3 stage or use my (RO) Reverse osmosis system the RO system turns water to pure 0 TDS same as distilled then i Ionize it to put the minerals back in. Seems a bit overboard but i say for mine and my families health its worth every cent. I will let the forum know how my beers taste too when done I am so keen to crack one but i must wait a few weeks getting another one on the go this week.

I use Brisbane tap water in my brews and they've always been fine. From reading various topics on here it seems to me that adding additional hops or malts or general tinkering with the standard and letting it condition longer would make more difference to the final product than whether you use filtered or tap water. However, whatever works best [biggrin]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Archived