Coopers Community

Black Lager

Mainiac

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm Guinness Lager!

The attempt was nothing like it, but it was great tasting and went down well -pilsner kit, s23, choc grain, EKG an Fuggles- if I make it again it will be with black roast malt and no chocolate.

Tried one the other day, but it was a year old and all the hops had faded leaving it with just a strong chocolate grain taste.

Earlier in the week I bottled a lagered Irish stout kit + s23 + Saaz. It'll be nothing like the Guinness lager, but it's tasting very promising.

I just opened one out of curiosity, and it's good. Weirdly 'belgian' tasting. A bit of time and carbonation and it'll be sweet[joyful]

Hey Eion,

I just tried a Guinness yesterday for the first time. I gotta' say it's a nice beer! It has a full roasty flavour with and wonderfully clean, crisp finish!

I had my hand on a 6-pack of it today in the bottle shop but at the last momment I went for something else. Bad choice[pinched] !

When I was a student who liked to party and shout

I first tasted a famous Irish Stout

2 pints down and I felt full

Like I'd eaten half a bull.

I filed the experience in my brainy tome

Until work sent me to my ancestral home.

The first beer down was a Murphy's brew

And the next night a Beamish barley stew.

I waited and waited and put up a fight

To taste the most famous beer that's as black as night.

I exclaimed "Holy sh1t! This beer is great".

And with it I had sealed my fate,

To order a Guinness in every pub I enter.

And with it be resigned to remember

That the stuff we get here is a poor copy

And by jove! it gets me a little stroppy

Warren, is that you?

I enjoyed Guinness in Dublin but I didn't try the extra cold stuff. I don't understand why you would want to drink it (or any beer) that cold.

In Sydney I find the Guinness is good at the Mercantile Hotel in the Rocks. It could be because they turn it over regularly. Not sure, I just know it taste better there.

I might be leaving myself open to wet-willies, wedgies, and the dreaded 'rear admiral' here, but I've never been blown away by Guiness. Tried it many times from cans and on tap at various establishments. I always found it a bit watery compared to chewing on a Coopers or Southwark stout.

Mind you, I always order one just to watch it settle in the glass. [cool]

I might be leaving myself open to wet-willies, wedgies, and the dreaded 'rear admiral' here, but I've never been blown away by Guiness. Tried it many times from cans and on tap at various establishments. I always found it a bit watery compared to chewing on a Coopers or Southwark stout.

I agree. I enjoy a Guinness but it doesn't blow me away. Coopers stout craps all over it. Sheaf stout is better too.

I won't ask what a rear admiral is [unsure]

The Guinness in the cans and on tap is a different brew to the Guinness Extra Stout which while it may not have quite the richness in flavour as say, Coopers, it is more flavoursome and fuller bodied I find. I don't buy Guinness on tap much anymore for exactly that reason.

The best Guinness I've tasted was my own [love] but to put this comment in perspective, I'm yet to go to Ireland and taste the real thing. [pinched]

Based on a recipe out of a Wheeler and Protz book, Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home.

3.9kg Pale Malt

.49kg Roast Barley

.49kg Flaked Barley

37g Challenger

25g Target

Mash at 66C for 2hrs, boil for 2 hrs with hops thrown in at start of boil. Final volume to 23 litres but no yeast mentioned.

I rounded the grain numbers up to 4kg, 0.5kg and 0.5kg. Shortend the boil to 90mins. With the one hop addition at 60mins, 40g PoR.

Fermented at 20C with WLP004 (White Labs Irish Ale).

The best Guinness I've tasted was my own [love] but to put this comment in perspective' date=' I'm yet to go to Ireland and taste the real thing. [pinched']

Based on a recipe out of a Wheeler and Protz book, Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home.

3.9kg Pale Malt

.49kg Roast Barley

.49kg Flaked Barley

37g Challenger

25g Target

Mash at 66C for 2hrs, boil for 2 hrs with hops thrown in at start of boil. Final volume to 23 litres but no yeast mentioned.

I rounded the grain numbers up to 4kg, 0.5kg and 0.5kg. Shortend the boil to 90mins. With the one hop addition at 60mins, 40g PoR.

Fermented at 20C with WLP004 (White Labs Irish Ale).

Great, thanks Paul. Looks like I've found one of my next brew recipes [biggrin]

ive done the Guiness tour at the brewery/storehouse... it was tastey... ive also done the Heinekin tour.. and the coopers tour.. hands down the coopers tour wins that prize..

but as for the stout.. it does taste pretty good in Ireland!

I thought the Guinness tour was pretty boring. The only good thing was the Guinness at the end. I much preferred the Heineken tour.

The Jameson Distillery tour was really good though (as was the whiskey).

totally agree! the Guinness "self" tour was pretty much crap with video screens doing all the info. The Heinekin one was a bit better... and the Jamos tour.. hehhehe.. LOVED it! i did that straight after the Guinness tour.

Coopers tour is by far the better of the 3 Brewery tours ive done. purely for the fact your IN the REAL brewery. not some electronic screens in a warehouse.

Archived