Coopers Community

Coopers Vintage Ale 2023

Instigator

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

I better go and grab a six pack of VA22 while I still can.

Wait, you can still buy VA22 somewhere? I noticed it was a bit slow selling here in Cairns last year but they all eventually went. I'm not sure why it was so slow as previous years went fairly quickly.

39 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Say no more

Just got the announcement email from Coopers about 20 minutes ago. The Barrier Reef Hotel had the ESVA on tap last year. I might have to plan a trip there this weekend... 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

The source is close to home, ha ha. Still have one bottle from last year

I usually drink a dozen fairly quickly and then one every now and then over the year. I basically end up with a 6 pack which gets saved by the time the next one rolls around. I really should do a tasting through some of the ones I have cellared. The older ones probably need to be consumed anyway, as I think I have some back to 2013.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That is a great beer, actually awesome. but way too much for a six pack but the ABV is the cause.

It’s expensive but didn’t mind to pay it for quality beer. I meant the Camperdown Cellars are too expensive, they charge even more 

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That is a great beer, actually awesome. but way too much for a six pack but the ABV is the cause.

I remember a time standing at the checkout in Dans with a carton of ESVA that was $83 thinking this is the most expensive beer I have ever bought. It gets scarier every year but I keep on buying it. I suspect the $100 carton isn't far away. 😬

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

It’s expensive but didn’t mind to pay it for quality beer. I meant the Camperdown Cellars are too expensive, they charge even more 

Yeah, I know what you meant but these days I would rather put that money towards an AG brew & I get the equivalent of 2 x Cartons of beer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I know what you meant but these days I would rather put that money towards an AG brew & I get the equivalent of 2 x Cartons of beer.

You’re right, but sometimes we need a special treat. Saying that I have two AG’s in the waiting. Have to find some time and decide what to do first, a Hefeweizen or an Alt

31 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

You’re right, but sometimes we need a special treat. Saying that I have two AG’s in the waiting. Have to find some time and decide what to do first, a Hefeweizen or an Alt

Yes, that's fair enough & I agree. 

Good luck with your next AG brew, I believe you had an issue with the Maiden Voyage. 😬

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, that's fair enough & I agree. 

Good luck with your next AG brew, I believe you had an issue with the Maiden Voyage. 😬

Yeah, knocked the airlock of the fermenter of my chocolate milk stout, didn’t realise it for 7 days and it oxidised and went sour. But my second AG, a Märzen  turned out well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Yeah, knocked the airlock of the fermenter of my chocolate milk stout, didn’t realise it for 7 days and it oxidised and went sour. But my second AG, a Märzen  turned out well.

I wonder why disturbing the airlock would turn the beer sour? I only use Coopers fermenters and they have no airlock at all and I have never had a problem with oxidation. If you think about it fermentation produces CO2 and being heavier than air it just sits on top of the wort and prevents oxidation. Oxidised beer also tastes like it is stale and like paper or cardboard, haven't heard of it being described as sour though.

Anyway not good that your stout ended up sour @Brauhaus Fritz.

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

I wonder why disturbing the airlock would turn the beer sour? I only use Coopers fermenters and they have no airlock at all and I have never had a problem with oxidation. If you think about it fermentation produces CO2 and being heavier than air it just sits on top of the wort and prevents oxidation. Oxidised beer also tastes like it is stale and like paper or cardboard, haven't heard of it being described as sour though.

Anyway not good that your stout ended up sour @Brauhaus Fritz.

It tasted great when I took a sample and covering it with a big cardboard box to keep it warm the lock came off. Was exposed to the elements for a week and tasted horrible. It went down the sink. Better moving on after three weeks fermenting then being disappointed a further3/4 weeks down the road

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 5:44 PM, Instigator said:

I remember a time standing at the checkout in Dans with a carton of ESVA that was $83 thinking this is the most expensive beer I have ever bought. It gets scarier every year but I keep on buying it. I suspect the $100 carton isn't far away. 😬

I guess it will be over $100 next year with the mandatory alcohol tax increases. 😞

20230808_142248sm.md.jpg

22 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, it's good beer but I ain't paying that much for a carton, in fact I haven't bought a carton for years.

$100 once a year for one of my hobbies probably isn't ridiculous in the big scheme of things. Still, I agree, it's a lot of money for 24 beers. That said, I'd rather collect a few Coopers ESVAs than Funkopops or Star Wars action figures or something. 😆👍