Coopers Community

Chocolate topping in stout?

BreweyMcHops

So , doing the chocolate toucan stout , usually add cocoa powder and lactose but I only have a bottle of Coles thick chocolate topping ( they didn't have Hershey's) 

Has anybody actually tried it? Please let me know I have the itch to pitch ASAP

1 hour ago, BreweyMcHops said:

So , doing the chocolate toucan stout , usually add cocoa powder and lactose but I only have a bottle of Coles thick chocolate topping ( they didn't have Hershey's) 

Has anybody actually tried it? Please let me know I have the itch to pitch ASAP

I personally wouldn’t as the fat and oil from the topping will stuff your head retention. I would go without it or wait to get the proper ingredients. I used cooking chocolate once and the oil/fat stuffed the head retention. I now just use malt to get the same flavours!

• Like 3

On 4/24/2023 at 6:56 AM, Malter White said:

Another potential problem of using a processed product like topping is it may contain preservatives, and if it does, these preservatives could affect the health of your yeast. Check the label.

A bit late to the party, but just to say I agree with this.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Sugar, Thickeners (1422, 415), Cocoa Powder^ (2%), Acidity Regulator (270), Natural Flavour, Salt, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).

Potassium Sorbate isn't good for yeast. Probably depends how much you use, but still....

• Like 3