Coopers Community

Fitst time BIAB

davids47

Going to move up in the world to try BIAB, going to head for total of around 10 lt (small coopers fermenter) i think i have the basics to do this ,

What size of Stockpot will i need buy to soak grains in and where is the best place to buy said pot

I have a 10 lt stockpot at home but know that will be far to small

16 minutes ago, davids47 said:

Going to move up in the world to try BIAB, going to head for total of around 10 lt (small coopers fermenter) i think i have the basics to do this ,

What size of Stockpot will i need buy to soak grains in and where is the best place to buy said pot

I have a 10 lt stockpot at home but know that will be far to small

Yeah, the 10l might be a little small. I'd go for a 20l one. Kmart or BigW should have them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

thanks for info I saw that one last night on line will head in later and pick ne up

I reckon the one @Malter White suggested would be fine, I am getting one of these purely because of the shape & height. I don't BIAB but when I do AG brews either one would be better for the sparge water than using two smaller pots as I am currently.

Target 24cm Casserole

$30

Target 24cm Casserole

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I reckon the one @Malter White suggested would be fine, I am getting one of these purely because of the shape & height. I don't BIAB but when I do AG brews either one would be better than using two smaller pots as I am currently.

Target 24cm Casserole

$30

Target 24cm Casserole

Do you know how many litres this holds, Phil? It doesn't look very big to the naked eye.

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

Where is a good place to find some easy recipies

Most Home Brew Shops will have some pre-packaged recipes.  Although they are usually sized for 23-23 litre batches.

As @Uhtred Of Beddanburg says, if you find a 19-23 litre recipe you can just halve it.  If you call your LHBS, they will usually measure out the grains, crush them for you and have them ready for pick up when you arrive.

Maybe search for Single Malt and Single Hop (SMaSH) recipes.  They are nice and simple and still produce nice beer.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, davids47 said:

Where is a good place to find some easy recipies

I just used to scale everything according to how much I wanted to make. That seemed to work quite well. 

An app like Brewfather/Beersmith/Grainfather or Brewer's Friend (online) can help with that.

I wanted to try everything all at once but the suggestion of a SMASH is a good idea. Repeating the same recipe 2 or 3 times to get a handle on exactly what you need to do when is another worthwhile tip.

If there's a recipe or beer you are after, I'm sure we could help you come up with something.

• Like 4