Coopers Community

A day trip to Adelaide

Stickers

Given the Cooper's Brewery is closed for renos at the moment, what are some other sights of Adelaide that are well worth seeing on a quick trip over? Ideally within walking (or public transport) distance from the Adelaide Oval?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

that steak sandwich looks pretty good. and yeah also looking for things like that shop that sells second hand books/cds/dvds or second hand oddities or local knick knacks. the stuff locals know and take for granted in a way but would be great to check out from out of town.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stickers said:

Given the Cooper's Brewery is closed for renos at the moment, what are some other sights of Adelaide that are well worth seeing on a quick trip over? Ideally within walking (or public transport) distance from the Adelaide Oval?

9 hours ago, Stickers said:

The Lady Burra Brewhouse is a great choice as pointed out by @Hilltop hops I would also suggest the http://www.coopersalehouse.pub/ They have the entire range of Coopers beer on tap, it is an iconic pup in the heart of the city. 

http://www.craftbeeradelaide.com.au/ This lists the Craft Breweries in Adelaide & surrounds.

If you can get out to Gepps Cross Hotel  https://www.coopersalehousegeppscross.com.au/ is also a great choice, about 13km (21 mins) via Churchill Road.

• Like 2

If you like Greenery, a walk through the Botanic Gardens is always good, before heading off to All of the food and drink places.

Or maybe a tram ride to Glenelg is always a Classic thing to do..

• Like 2

@Stickers If you're into classic architecture like Parliament House, walk east along North Tce from there. Grand old buildings of the university, library, museum etc.
Something Adelaideans take a bit for granted is the O'Bahn guided busway from the city to Tea Tree Plaza in the north east. It's what we have in the absence of train lines in the north east. Not only is it a unique and speedy mode of transport but the route it takes along the Torrens River valley and linear park is fairly picturesque, crossing the river numerous times. The driver doesn't steer the bus while on the track. He/she merely controls the speed. You can catch services on Currie and Grenfell streets. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Stickers said:

shop that sells second hand books/cds/dvds or second hand oddities or local knick knacks.

I looked online; and it seems there are 4 or 5 second hand book shops in the CBD. I also put in a vote for the markets.

You'll have to report back about your trip to Adelaide.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malter White said:

@Stickers If you're into classic architecture like Parliament House, walk east along North Tce from there. Grand old buildings of the university, library, museum etc.
Something Adelaideans take a bit for granted is the O'Bahn guided busway from the city to Tea Tree Plaza in the north east. It's what we have in the absence of train lines in the north east. Not only is it a unique and speedy mode of transport but the route it takes along the Torrens River valley and linear park is fairly picturesque, crossing the river numerous times. The driver doesn't steer the bus while on the track. He/she merely controls the speed. You can catch services on Currie and Grenfell streets. 

thanks for this Malter, a walk along the North Terrace will be part of my day for sure. @DavidM's suggestion of a tramride to Glenelg sounds appealing as does Phil's tip to check out the Cooper's taphouse!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

had a lot of fun in adelaide, if it wasn't drizzling or raining for most of my stay i would have gotten out a lot more but I still think i got to cover a lot of ground all the same.

some highlights -

found the record shop (about a block south of rundle mall)
rundle mall was a great mixture of old buildings, fun side alleys, things like a k-mart but with glass elevators on the outside, all the usuals and popped my head into eb games and bought a thermal longsleeve t at uniqlo and they were all roughly where i thought they would be
again, the architecture. be it the sandstone, black stone, the brickwork, the actual stones, the brutalist concrete or some of the fancy spires; adelaide has a timeless quality that melbourne demolished (can see examples here or there but..)
the pub i stayed at had a massive sprawling verandah and was still only 20 mins walk from the adelaide oval, had a public bar out front with many cooper's on tap, along with an AC/DC themed pinball table
the market. my folks told me i should go there and i wanted to have a look and would you believe it was right opposite where i was staying. grabbed a pie on friday and a coffee on saturday, next time i am going to try a couple of the giant donuts
they have giant donuts
there is an excellent 2nd hand book stall at the market and next time i'm going to try the italian cafe at the back - when the locals are queuing for tables it must be doing something right
light square and the great big open space free of development to just admire/reflect/relax - great planning
a public defibrillator in light square
adelaide oval

IMG_0718.thumb.jpg.bdf1db02383602a062993adbc93e0a8d.jpg

this mixture of building style y'know

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Stickers said:

had a lot of fun in adelaide

I am glad you enjoyed you day in Adelaide, there is a lot to see as well of a few hidden gems, The Central Market is one of them as is catching a tram to the Bay. 

Still a few great Pubs around & we even have a Craft Pub in the city http://www.ladyburrabrewhouse.com.au/

I think I mentioned the Coopers Alehouse at Gepps Cross but at least you got to the Earl of Aberdeen in Pultney Street.

• Like 3