Coopers Community

brewing

rtotem1

"there was more true in the bottom then expected and the last bottle I filled due to having to be tilted was so cloudy 😂 I found it hilarious."

You will be surprised. That last bottle will be fine.  You just lose about 50ml

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

"there was more true in the bottom then expected and the last bottle I filled due to having to be tilted was so cloudy 😂 I found it hilarious."

You will be surprised. That last bottle will be fine.  You just lose about 50ml

I always find the last bit pretty scummy, and my own today was especially so (the last bottle that is). I stored it apart from the rest so I could drink it last and see if it does clear up by then. Your words are encouraging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I always find the last bit pretty scummy, and my own today was especially so (the last bottle that is). I stored it apart from the rest so I could drink it last and see if it does clear up by then. Your words are encouraging.

Well i guess it mainly depends on three things:

How you pour it.

How old it is.

How much sediment. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 12:58 PM, JoesBrewingMissionNZ said:

how do you guys get it down to the 0-2C for proper crash cooling? I even used a near frozen wet towel to try drop the Temps even faster

It was recommended in another thread, I think by Boozy, to step down to the desired temperature. So, don't try to drop it straight down to 0-2, do it in stages. Let the fridge cool down to a higher temperature, then another lower temperature, then another, then to your desired temperature. I'm not sure how many steps are ideal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I found that when you get down that low & it looks like you can squeeze another bottle out it starts looking a bit murky & cloudy, it is not worth bottling, especially if you leave too much airspace in there. I had a stout like that & it nearly blew up when I opened it.

Tasted crap too.

29 minutes ago, Kegory said:

It was recommended in another thread, I think by Boozy, to step down to the desired temperature. So, don't try to drop it straight down to 0-2, do it in stages. Let the fridge cool down to a higher temperature, then another lower temperature, then another, then to your desired temperature. I'm not sure how many steps are ideal.

Yeah, as I normally don't bother with CC, in my case the AG brew (APA) was controlled at 20c for 14 days & then I set it at 2c for the CC. I took ages to come down & mostly hung around at 3-4c.

I foolishly tried to get it down without stepping down so I must get the procedure for next time.

The said brew has been in a keg since 29/04/23 & I will sneak a taste tonight.

11 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

As OldBloke said, it does depend.

My method is to mark the last bottle (All my bottles are marked with the batch number, the last is also marked with E end)

One smooth continuous pour, into two glasses or a Jug, watch as you approach the end of the pour and stop leaving the sediment behind. For me, that's about 10mm

Don't get too greedy as you fill Your bottles from the Fermenter, leave a small amount of beer behind.

Too much sludge and it may not be drinkable and not worth the risk. 

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I foolishly tried to get it down without stepping down so I must get the procedure for next time.

I never step down ales. They sit at 18 or whatever the ferment temperature is and then I set the Inkbird to 0C. I never had any dramas to be honest. Lagers on the other hand, I do step down after the D-rest. 2C a day over the course of a week, then drop it to 0C and leave it there. That's why my lagers take 3 weeks to complete, whereas Ales are usually done in 2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I never step down ales. They sit at 18 or whatever the ferment temperature is and then I set the Inkbird to 0C. I never had any dramas to be honest. Lagers on the other hand, I do step down after the D-rest. 2C a day over the course of a week, then drop it to 0C and leave it there. That's why my lagers take 3 weeks to complete, whereas Ales are usually done in 2.

Fair enough AK, this was the one that I had dramas with on the from the start when I forgot the malt pipe 🤪 & it ended up a bit cloudy for obvious reasons, so I thought a CC was in order. 

Miraculously when it was cubed it looked quite clear but after sitting in the brew fridge at 20c for 14 days there was a very deep trub which I managed to avoid when I kegged it.

I will know when I sneak a taste tonight how it has turned out.

I don't do many Lagers so usually don't bother to CC.

Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

As OldBloke said, it does depend.

My method is to mark the last bottle (All my bottles are marked with the batch number, the last is also marked with E end)

One smooth continuous pour, into two glasses or a Jug, watch as you approach the end of the pour and stop leaving the sediment behind. For me, that's about 10mm

Don't get too greedy as you fill Your bottles from the Fermenter, leave a small amount of beer behind.

Too much sludge and it may not be drinkable and not worth the risk. 

Agree.  Don't get too greedy.

I just mark an x on the cap if they look a bit soupy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Agree.  Don't get too greedy.

I just mark an x on the cap if they look a bit soupy.

Yep. I would have just thrown it but I was able to squeeze a last full bottle out, so figured why not. I have placed it separately so I know what it is. At worst it will just end up being thrown down the sink if it looks undrinkable, which is where it would have been anyway.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 8:54 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

Yep. I would have just thrown it but I was able to squeeze a last full bottle out, so figured why not. I have placed it separately so I know what it is. At worst it will just end up being thrown down the sink if it looks undrinkable, which is where it would have been anyway.

Fair enough, the bottles have been sitting for almost a week now and all the other bottles are clean and clear, the last one though... with a label called "The Doctor" has a thick layer of trub on the bottom, it was a coincidence with the label but I think it's very fitting 😅

16834561961604383376216905842548.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

How is everyone's Brews going?

A week ago I put down a batch of Coopers Real Ale with some BE2 

This time I tried to quicken the process a little bit, after bubbling stopped and SG was steady for 3 days I added some finings and let it sit for another 2 days before I chucked it in the fridge for 2 days... here's where I fu#ked up, so I neglected to buy a thermometer for the fridge, the one on the FV goes down to 10C and I haven't used the fridge since I brought it, and set it too cold and froze most of the FV there's a 2-3" ring of ice in the FV now.

I managed to defrost the spigot and get a small sample out and it looked a bit like muddy water and tastes like crap 🫣

Is there any saving this brew or is it now completely fu#ked?

16846510052375595298465412856489.jpg

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JoesBrewingMissionNZ said:

Hey guys, 

How is everyone's Brews going?

A week ago I put down a batch of Coopers Real Ale with some BE2 

This time I tried to quicken the process a little bit, after bubbling stopped and SG was steady for 3 days I added some finings and let it sit for another 2 days before I chucked it in the fridge for 2 days... here's where I fu#ked up, so I neglected to buy a thermometer for the fridge, the one on the FV goes down to 10C and I haven't used the fridge since I brought it, and set it too cold and froze most of the FV there's a 2-3" ring of ice in the FV now.

I managed to defrost the spigot and get a small sample out and it looked a bit like muddy water and tastes like crap 🫣

Is there any saving this brew or is it now completely fu#ked?

16846510052375595298465412856489.jpg

Bottle or keg it, wait and see. All you've done is cold crash it, maybe lots of sediment on the bottom from doing this. I wouldn't panic just yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoesBrewingMissionNZ said:

Okay, cheers, I wasn't sure what to do as I'm still green as to brewing. 

My motto is never chuck a beer until its conditioned and ready to taste. Unless youre really sure its infected. Its obvious, tastes sour or metallic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

My motto is never chuck a beer until its conditioned and ready to taste. Unless youre really sure its infected. Its obvious, tastes sour or metallic.

Yeah, I agree with that, I froze a Czech Pilsner once & it took a few days to thaw out, I ended up bottling it but it took a few months before it was drinkable, but in the end it was OK.

• Like 3