Coopers Community

Lager IPA

5 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

I am looking at doing a IPA with lager yeast  any suggestions on the best dry yeast to use .I was thinking 34/70 or diamond .I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this as i have only used lager yeast  twice since brewing  yes  only twice TIA

My vote is for W34/70.  Still my go to dry lager yeast.

• Like 2

I always  research  and so far with the suggestions  i think 34/70 is a contender  but  s-189 isnt bad either by the sound of it but we will see .Hey Shamus have you used S-189 ?? My plan is to do a lager with  a lot of whirlpool hops .I love hoppy beers but not too bitter and fruit beers.  I had a lager hazy ipa which was wicked at Xmas so thought i will give it a go my base will be Light lager malt and a little BB wheat  NOT that i don't like M54 but isn't easily available for me  What temp do you use it at Shamus i plan 15c and guess it would take 5-7 days or longer Cheers and thanks

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My vote is for W34/70.  Still my go to dry lager yeast.

Edited by therealthing691
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, therealthing691 said:

I always  research  and so far with the suggestions  i think 34/70 is a contender  but  s-189 isnt bad either by the sound of it but we will see .Hey Shamus have you used S-189 ?? My plan is to do a lager with  a lot of whirlpool hops .I love hoppy beers but not too bitter and fruit beers.  I had a lager hazy ipa which was wicked at Xmas so thought i will give it a go my base will be Light lager malt and a little BB wheat  NOT that i don't like M54 but isn't easily available for me  What temp do you use it at Shamus i plan 15c and guess it would take 5-7 days Cheers and thanks

I run W34/70 at 12°C until SG drops below 1.020, then up to 18°C for a diacetyl rest.  However, that is for lagers.  Never done an IPA with a lager yeast.

I was very happy with a Stella clone and an Aussie Lager I did with S-189 a time back.  Scored them both 8/10.

• Like 2

I have two IPL's one with the Diamond Lager yeast and the other with the WLP southern german lager yeast. Both turned out really nice!

My neighbour said the german lager yeast was one of the best beers he had ever tasted. That had Mosaic and Sabro late.

Both were fined with gelatine and were crystal clear even with the dry hops etc.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...