What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

31 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Could someone please translate?

FWK = Fresh Work Kit, Fuku Japanese Lager is the name of the Fresh Wort Kit

a.k.a. = also known as

008 = the batch number

bottled = the date it was bottled

conditioned = that's what people who don't have kegs have to do to get their beers carbonated

lagered = from the German word to store, where a beer is kept cold for a period of time to help the yeast settle and improve clarity

Asahi = one of the biggest beer brands in the world, from Japan

Best Before = a date by which the producer recommends the product be consumed

Taste Test Challenge = comparing a home brewed beer with its commercially brewed inspiration

Edited by Kegory
line
  • Haha 2

Righto last show ‘n tell from me today 👏

Very much enjoyed a bit of sunshine today, but not as much as what’s on tap at the moment. 🍺🍺🍺🍺
With less than 2 weeks in the keg, this Enterprise Lager is shapin’ up to be an absolute favourite with its smack in the face of hoppy goodness 😋😋

Looking forward for a better presentation of head in the coming days and it’ll be another 100% without deviation Coopers DIY Recipe - Winner 🥇 

Yum, yum diddly yum - I like it 😉

Triple B Brewing - Enterprise Larger

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kegory said:

FWK = Fresh Work Kit, Fuku Japanese Lager is the name of the Fresh Wort Kit

a.k.a. = also known as

008 = the batch number

bottled = the date it was bottled

conditioned = that's what people who don't have kegs have to do to get their beers carbonated

lagered = from the German word to store, where a beer is kept cold for a period of time to help the yeast settle and improve clarity

Asahi = one of the biggest beer brands in the world, from Japan

Best Before = a date by which the producer recommends the product be consumed

Taste Test Challenge = comparing a home brewed beer with its commercially brewed inspiration

Acetydehyde ( that changes from cut pumpkin to green apple )??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Here is an article from Escparment Laborities titled Acetaldehyde: How to prevent that green apple off-flavour.

Here is a quote from that article:

"You often hear about acetaldehyde tasting like “green apple” but throughout several tastings I have run where I increase the dosage of acetaldehyde in a set of light lagers, the flavours range from the iconic “green apple” to rotting/over-ripe fruit, smoke, artificial sweetener, a sharp mouth feel, avocado, fresh cut grass, fresh cut pumpkin, and more."

Let us know if you need someone to translate the article for you.

Here is another article, this time from BeerSmith, titled Acetaldehyde in Home Brewed Beer - The Green Apple Off-Flavour.

"It can also sometimes have an aroma and flavor like fresh cut pumpkins or dry cider but is distinct from the pear flavors more common in beers with excessive esters."

Edited by Kegory
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

Here is an article from Escparment Laborities titled Acetaldehyde: How to prevent that green apple off-flavour.

"You often hear about acetaldehyde tasting like “green apple” but throughout several tastings I have run where I increase the dosage of acetaldehyde in a set of light lagers, the flavours range from the iconic “green apple” to rotting/over-ripe fruit, smoke, artificial sweetener, a sharp mouth feel, avocado, fresh cut grass, fresh cut pumpkin, and more."

Let us know if you need someone to translate the article for you.

Here is another article, this time from BeerSmith, titled Acetaldehyde in Home Brewed Beer - The Green Apple Off-Flavour.

"It can also sometimes have an aroma and flavor like fresh cut pumpkins or dry cider but is distinct from the pear flavors more common in beers with excessive esters."

Fair enough mate. If you want to make brewing tins that complicated go right ahead.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Doesn't interest me in the least.

Oh, you were curious about how aromas and flavours are perceived this morning.

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

What happened between morning and afternoon to make you lose interest?

6 minutes ago, Kegory said:

It wasn't a tin. It was a Fresh Wort Kit. FWKs are all grain.

FWK, Tin...........All the work is done for you. All you do is add some good water, and adequate fresh yeast. I'm implying you're making your brewing way too complicated by thinking about such things as acetaldehyde, whatever the F that is. Never heard of it until I read your post.

Unless you're heavily invested in all grain brewing, my advice is why not just focus on the basic things. Like cleanliness, good ingredients instead of overthinking and googling such things.

But each to their own, this an open forum. In my opinion if you want to waste valuable brain cells worrying about scientific curve balls that are probably out of your control, you go girl. Its your brewing not mine. I wont comment on your posts anymore you seem to have jumped the shark. And that my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

FWK, Tin...........All the work is done for you. All you do is add some good water, and adequate fresh yeast. I'm implying you're making your brewing way too complicated by thinking about such things as acetaldehyde, whatever the F that is. Never heard of it until I read your post.

Unless you're heavily invested in all grain brewing, my advice is why not just focus on the basic things. Like cleanliness, good ingredients instead of overthinking and googling such things.

But each to their own, this an open forum. In my opinion if you want to waste valuable brain cells worrying about scientific curve balls that are probably out of your control, you go girl. Its your brewing not mine. I wont comment on your posts anymore you seem to have jumped the shark. And that my opinion.

Your wisdom and insight will be sorely missed.

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I should be lucky, this keg surely can't keep delivering, I have turned the gas down in anticipation, but I reckon I will be pushing to get another glass, it is so good.

I will be kegging an AG XPA soon & doing another brew on the weekend, so it looks like commercial beer for a few days.

ale.jpg

ale2.jpg

Looks like you've tuned up your keg fridge perfectly ol sausage. That pour looks good. 

Ive heard also your beers are very tasty with no Acetaldehde to be seen. That comes from the Hoppster himself.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Your wisdom and insight will be sorely missed.

Why would that be? Are you sneaking over tonight to pop me off? 

My superannuation goes to my Mrs so you have nothing to gain there. And all my wisdom and insight wont go to someone that sooks up. You miss out on both counts. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

And that's all you've got. Get back to brewing.

Brewing is a slow, patient process. Both fermenters are currently full.

In the meantime, watching people dig themselves into holes provides a little entertainment.

13 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Looks like you've tuned up your keg fridge perfectly ol sausage. That pour looks good. 

Ive heard also your beers are very tasty with no Acetaldehde to be seen. That comes from the Hoppster himself.

Yes, mate the "Hopster' AKA @Hoppy81 sure did set things up right when he did my brew fridge, it really does work good for an old girl, initially I was going to buy a Kegerator but decided against it, I figured if the fridge was still working, just convert it.

Regarding Acetaldehde \Mercaptan/Caprylic/Diacetyl /Lightstruck (3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol & all of the other stuff I have never heard of, as far as I know it hasn't affected the taste of my beer. 

The old saying K.I.S.S. has been around a long time & it certainly does make sense, when I first started brewing there were no computers, let alone the internet, we used the very basic of ingredients & methods & still managed to produce beer, albeit not as good as today's standards but they were better than some of the mega swill sold today.

The basic ingredients combined with correct sanitary procedures will make great beer, I often wonder what would happen to some if suddenly computers/internet/brewing apps-technology wasn't available & we had to go back to basics to make our beer.

It's like when you are at the supermarket & the checkout & the girl asks you 'is that spinach? & I have to say no dear it's broccoli'

The blind leading the blind.

Sometimes there are too many things that can go wrong & too many technical devices & search engines to look them up with & in the old days they weren't there in the first place.

I reckon just get on with the basic methods of brewing, develop your skills & then you can talk about your own experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, mate the "Hopster' AKA @Hoppy81 sure did set things up right when he did my brew fridge, it really does work good for an old girl, initially I was going to buy a Kegerator but decided against it, I figured if the fridge was still working, just convert it.

Regarding Acetaldehde \Mercaptan/Caprylic/Diacetyl /Lightstruck (3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol & all of the other stuff I have never heard of, as far as I know it hasn't affected the taste of my beer. 

The old saying K.I.S.S. has been around a long time & it certainly does make sense, when I first started brewing there were no computers, let alone the internet, we used the very basic of ingredients & methods & still managed to produce beer, albeit not as good as today's standards but they were better than some of the mega swill sold today.

The basic ingredients combined with correct sanitary procedures will make great beer, I often wonder what would happen to some if suddenly computers/internet/brewing apps-technology wasn't available & we had to go back to basics to make our beer.

It's like when you are at the supermarket & the checkout & the girl asks you 'is that spinach? & I have to say no dear it's broccoli'

The blind leading the blind.

Sometimes there are too many things that can go wrong & too many technical devices & search engines to look them up with & in the old days they weren't there in the first place.

I reckon just get on with the basic methods of brewing, develop your skills & then you can talk about your own experience.

I'm a bit old school in that regard

IMG_20230923_093312934.thumb.jpg.19320212e2b4c7016a45ebe523c301f5.jpg

• Like 2